Raspberry Pi

Mojavi-Viper

Do you plan to purchase a Raspberry Pi?  

2,221 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to purchase a Raspberry Pi?

• Yes, cannot wait!
    • No, tinkering is not my thing.
    • Isn't pi 3.14?

I have been waiting to get my hands on one of these for a while (waiting on backorder) and I was curious if there were any other pi owners out there or a tinker/hacker of things. I have a few projects that I intend to make with these little things ranging from home automation to hand held devices that can have a lot of use (gps, sat weather, network testing, exc...). I also tinker with my arduino and make little toys (more or less Haha) entertaining myself. Anybody else have have plans to purchase and complete some projects for fun or actual useful purposes?

If anybody is curious of what I am talking about, please check it out>>> http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Well I will refer you to here to see what you can do, but there are many more ideas that have yet to be thought of. In a basic nutshell its a $25 computer that you can program to pretty much anything you want (limited to the hardware of course). It has GPIO pins basically output pins for programmable to do different things such as run gps, motors, other items as well as USB but the biggest selling point is the price point of $25 allowing these cheap computers to be used in education (Its the main purpose of the Raspberry Foundation) to low income areas such as Africa. That\'s a rough general explanation but I think you should get the general idea.

I want one of these really badly, i\'m planning on making a computer for my car with a touchscreen using one. I\'m going to wait until ordering has calmed down and hopefully a second revision is released with some of the minor issues fixed.

One of my housemates got his the other month though, it\'s awesome but he\'s not done anything with it yet which sucks.

I confirmed my order about two weeks ago so hopefully it should be shipped soon. I\'ve seen reviews etc say that data transfer speeds aren\'t that great on it, but then again the software might not be optimised for the ARM architecture as of yet. If I can get my hands on a cheapish portable screen I might try to create a fully portable computer for programming, taking notes and for fun.

Has anyone seen any cool projects done by people that already have one?

I was wanting to get a hold of the A model (I live in the U.S.A.) but when I go to the distributors websites they only seem to have the B model, anybody else have this problem? Maybe they are waiting until they can actually have them in stock before they advertise the A model? I really want the A model to make a MAME for my friends (networking not required) as well as some remote device plans (consumes less power).

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived today, I put a copy of Debian Wheezy on it and have been playing around with it since. It\'s not a fan of my keyboard though (probably something to do with the amount of power it draws), so I need to go buy a more minimalistic one and a USB hub as well. So far, so good!

I was wanting to get a hold of the A model (I live in the U.S.A.) but when I go to the distributors websites they only seem to have the B model, anybody else have this problem? Maybe they are waiting until they can actually have them in stock before they advertise the A model? I really want the A model to make a MAME for my friends (networking not required) as well as some remote device plans (consumes less power).

Model A isn\'t in production yet (AFAIK), there was a higher demand for Model B so they decided to manufacture that one first.

I\'m TRYING to developling mine to sit under the seat cowling of my race bike and couple it to gyros, servos, linear sensors and camera to use a telemetry set. A decent telemetry device for motorcycles costs around £500 $650 or there abouts. If i can get all the parts to work reliable enough and get the software sorted I think I can have a full working prototype for £150 $200. Fingers crossed I can also build into the same system the function to use it on gocarts, kitcars and microlites. Obviously having to change certain input sensors. Wish me luck!

for all you bike lover\'s

RVF4003.jpg

This sounds a lot like the Arduino. The Uno only costs an extra 10 USD more than the Pi, and I think there\' s a much larger group of manufacturers supporting it.

Arduino is not really the same as the Pi. Arduino is really just a microcontroller mounted on a PCB with its pins made available through the headers.

The Pi is a full system-on-chip, with CPU, GPU, Networking and Video Decoding and then a plethora of different I/O standards on the board... plus some GPI/O pins which offer similar functionality to the Arduino stuff.

Whilst they do seem similar, the Pi is vastly more powerful than the Arduino and is really designed for very different purposes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.