Combat Drone Inititative - Trial 1 Complete - Round 3 Videos Posted

On 14/01/2016 at 4:44 AM, SasquatchM said:

Here is the video of the very first 5 matches in round 1.  Doppelganger vs. QF-1

List of people who urgently need to make a new plane:

- me.

Are you planning on running another one of these tournaments? Because if you do, I'd love to compete, this time with an entry I've actually tested, the weight and cost limits make it a lot of fun.

Edited by BlueCanary

8 hours ago, Veeltch said:

I got pummeled so hard xD that's fine though. I wasn't expecting to win anyway.

Personally, I really like the look of your design although one thing to remember when using BDA is to always have a Radome as your AI pilot can't target anything without it.

On 2016-01-07 at 6:15 PM, CreativeCombat said:

I'm still working on my submission, currently in its ~52nd iteration and a lot of TLC and time has gone into it.  If this is what you're going to do, then it would mean a lot to me if you could provide a final deadline before doing so. 

Interesting that there is no AI or Weapon Manager on your drone :rolleyes:

Anyone know how it can fly without them?

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Interesting that there is no AI or Weapon Manager on your drone :rolleyes:

Anyone know how it can fly without them?

They're clipped into the probe core to keep them from being shot off. Your message made me realize I don't think I ever set up the action group to activate them.  Eighty-two iterations, and I never bound "Activate AI" to 1.  I think it might be bound to 0, though.  Not sure. 

Edited by CreativeCombat

3 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Personally, I really like the look of your design although one thing to remember when using BDA is to always have a Radome as your AI pilot can't target anything without it.

Awww man. I'm still learning how to use BD Armory. Also wanted to make a flying wing design, but it's not easy without pWings.

4 hours ago, CreativeCombat said:

They're clipped into the probe core to keep them from being shot off. Your message made me realize I don't think I ever set up the action group to activate them.  Eighty-two iterations, and I never bound "Activate AI" to 1.  I think it might be bound to 0, though.  Not sure. 

It is bound to 0. The final battles of round 1 are complete, and I am editing the video now.

22 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Perhaps I should have said that without a radome the targeting by the AI is spotty at best

Guns work as well.. just oddly.

12 hours ago, BlueCanary said:

List of people who urgently need to make a new plane:

- me.

Are you planning on running another one of these tournaments? Because if you do, I'd love to compete, this time with an entry I've actually tested, the weight and cost limits make it a lot of fun.

Yes, I will, but the parameters will change for each tournament.

I really do wish you could define additional teams.  I was going to actually set up using a team of 4 of your drones trying to stop an attacker from destroying a radar site on the top of the VAB.  I just have to see if I can make it work.  BDA is really bad at hitting moving ground targets, which was my original thought, so now I'll try a radar site... perhaps I'll try a mobile radar site and see how the missiles that back-track radar ( I can't remember their names) do

I am thinking there will be scoring like this:

Each surviving drone:  +1

Each attacking craft destroyed:  +1

Radar site surviving:  +4

I'll have to play with it a bit though to balance points.

15 minutes ago, SasquatchM said:

I really do wish you could define additional teams.  I was going to actually set up using a team of 4 of your drones trying to stop an attacker from destroying a radar site on the top of the VAB.  I just have to see if I can make it work.  BDA is really bad at hitting moving ground targets, which was my original thought, so now I'll try a radar site... perhaps I'll try a mobile radar site and see how the missiles that back-track radar ( I can't remember their names) do

I am thinking there will be scoring like this:

Each surviving drone:  +1

Each attacking craft destroyed:  +1

Radar site surviving:  +4

I'll have to play with it a bit though to balance points.

I haven't played with the ground attack systems at all but IRL a laser targeting pod or someone on the ground painting the target is needed to allow reliable tracking and targeting of enemy ground forces... Try this out with the laser tracking pod in BDA

I am definitely down with the direction your initiative is taking

42 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I haven't played with the ground attack systems at all but IRL a laser targeting pod or someone on the ground painting the target is needed to allow reliable tracking and targeting of enemy ground forces... Try this out with the laser tracking pod in BDA

I am definitely down with the direction your initiative is taking

I made a drone that had the Camera / IR laser thingie, but it would paint a constant ground target, not track a moving vehicle so consistently missed even though the vehicle, a 40 ton fuel truck, was only going about 10 m/s

I think one of the challenges in the next tournament will be making a ground attack drone that has to overcome the winner of this one to destroy the radar installation.

Edited by SasquatchM

37 minutes ago, SasquatchM said:

I made a drone that had the Camera / IR laser thingie, but it would paint a constant ground target, not track a moving vehicle so consistently missed even though the vehicle, a 40 ton fuel truck, was only going about 10 m/s

I think one of the challenges in the next tournament will be making a ground attack drone that has to overcome the winner of this one to destroy the radar installation.

I haven't tried a moving target yet but I modified my Scrappy Doo into a ground attack with a FLIR targeting pod and 4 Hellfire missiles ... Here's the video with a stationary target on the launch pad

https://youtu.be/FUzGbMyHdzA

On the target I added an AI pilot and a weapon manager to be sure it's team was designated as well as activating the guard mode before I launched the Scrappy Doo GA ... did you try this on your moving target?

Edited by DoctorDavinci

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.