Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP) 1.6.1 - Milestones, Air Flights, Coast Guard

inigma

Thank you, that is brilliant!

This was the last mod I was waiting for to start my new career! I was hoping that it would take a few more days, i'm just finishing up a new playthough of Mass Effect, and now i'm thorn between these two games!

Ah, the first world problems we have.

On 5/9/2016 at 1:11 AM, nosscire said:

Thank you, that is brilliant!

This was the last mod I was waiting for to start my new career! I was hoping that it would take a few more days, i'm just finishing up a new playthough of Mass Effect, and now i'm thorn between these two games!

Ah, the first world problems we have.

hehe good times!

I hope to work on 1.3 which is planned to add cargo flights next.

Edited by inigma

I think I'm leaning towards breaking the no-mod required goal of GAP and setting up GAP to require Module Manager. With Module Manager I can add patches to parts to make them testable as part of a contract, such as cargo bays, which in the stock game are not testable. If so, then I will also make the crew cabins testable as part of their contracts too. Since most players use parts with GAP that often include Module Manager, it only makes sense to include it as part of a GAP requirement and so enter the wonderful world of ModuleManager patches. :D

Thoughts?

I believe that near enough anyone that uses any mods at all already have Module Manager. You are also allowed to include it in your own mod, thus it should be safe enough to set as a requirement.

9 hours ago, nosscire said:

I believe that near enough anyone that uses any mods at all already have Module Manager. You are also allowed to include it in your own mod, thus it should be safe enough to set as a requirement.

Agreed - Module Manager is practically a required dependency for Contract Configurator since most contract packs do at least some MM config.

1 hour ago, nightingale said:

Agreed - Module Manager is practically a required dependency for Contract Configurator since most contract packs do at least some MM config.

Yup. After much thought I've decided to require MM for GAP 1.3 onwards. Already got some MM patches and we'll see about cranking out 1.3 before the end of this month.

Ok, so I got to thinking: if I wanted to play Career Mode today, what would I want?

Simple:

1. A repeatable steady bare bones slow money.science/rep making fall back contract for a KSC bus tour - done! (Contract Pack: GAP 1.2.5)

2. Early aircraft contract milestones that take into account command seat only aircraft, and can be expanded to modern lucrative repeatable flights, missions, and more - done! (GAP 1.2.5)

3. A means to build Wright-flyer type craft in the early game without a custom tech tree - done via SSI prototype market! (thank you Module Manager and KAX kuey tail rotor and Tweakscale!) (Contract Pack: GAP 1.3 coming soon!)

4. Sounding rockets contracts to launch sounding rockets 2500, 5000, 10k,20k, 40k, and 70k. - DONE!!!! (Contract Pack: Sounding Rockets coming soon!)

j9yfaWb.png

NOW i feel like I can play career mode... :)

9 hours ago, PauloRazen said:

The eva parachute is highh recommended, but ths dont have update,, any problem if i play whitout eva parachute?

You could land on your helmet. But there is only one parachute contract, so don't sweat it. You can ignore the contract for now until there is an EVA parachute mod out there.

Edited by inigma

Hi, I downloaded this contract pack today because I always thought there was little point in building aircraft (except for the fun of building them). But I didn't like the "accept this pseudo-contract to unlock various parts" contracts. I'd rather unlock them the normal way, and they don't seem to play well with modified tech trees. Is there something I can do to skip those and get to the real GAP missions?

7 minutes ago, AdamMil said:

Hi, I downloaded this contract pack today because I always thought there was little point in building aircraft (except for the fun of building them). But I didn't like the "accept this pseudo-contract to unlock various parts" contracts. I'd rather unlock them the normal way, and they don't seem to play well with modified tech trees. Is there something I can do to skip those and get to the real GAP missions?

You are not required to unlock any part contracts to get GAP missions. The part contracts only appear when you have not yet researched the parts that they sell you. Bear in mind that if you accept any of the part contracts that you pay for them using funds. They are not free.

GAP contracts only appear when you research or acquire certain parts.  If you don't want any of the economy contracts simply delete the Economy folder. Only the Milestones folder is required for GAP to function.

2 hours ago, inigma said:

The part contracts only appear when you have not yet researched the parts that they sell you.

Okay, thanks. :-)  I'll just ignore them and try to unlock the parts in the usual way.

Small request: Include a .cfg file in GAP that moves FireSpitter's new biplane parts early enough in the tech-tree to allow a player in career-mode to develop airplanes BEFORE putting their first kerbal into space?

20 minutes ago, KoningsGap said:

Hi, I only seem to get the drive a tour bus mission over and over again. Any tips?

Research air breathing engines. Research airplane control surfaces. Or buy them using the SSI prototype market (they are contracts that appear after joining SSI). Make sure you have the latest mod version installed. 1.2.5.

On 5/15/2016 at 8:48 PM, StevieC said:

Small request: Include a .cfg file in GAP that moves FireSpitter's new biplane parts early enough in the tech-tree to allow a player in career-mode to develop airplanes BEFORE putting their first kerbal into space?

not possible without rendering player's use of other tech trees invalid.

23 hours ago, inigma said:

Research air breathing engines. Research airplane control surfaces. Or buy them using the SSI prototype market (they are contracts that appear after joining SSI). Make sure you have the latest mod version installed. 1.2.5.

Forgot to mention I have researched air breathers and airplane control surfaces.

After posting a request in Add-On Discussions, SpannerMonkey answered the call and has developed a parachute system for EVA Kerbals! It's now possible to do GAP: Skydiving contracts now (there is only one at the moment):

GAP update: 

I'm just now putting the finishing touches on a new Contract Pack: Sounding Rockets. It didn't make sense to include it in GAP, so I split it off. When CC 1.11.6 releases, I'll release Contract Pack: Sounding Rockets.

I'm working on GAP 1.2.6. It's a foundational release to ready GAP for 1.3 which will include Cargo transportation, and maybe a cargo drop. It's also a GAP: Economy update to offer all bundled parts as separate parts for purchase, and a re-balancing of costs to be compatible with Engineering Tech Tree or stock. I'm of half a mind to split out GAP: Economy into its own separate release due to its scope though.

I'd also like to see about a future merger of GAP with GAP: KerbinSide. With GAP requiring ModuleManager, such a merge is actually really easy.

I am enjoying this mod GAP 1.2.5, but also having some issues:
After accepting the missions: "Achieve Mach 3" and "Fly an airplane to 35.000m", and then finding I did not have the technology to complete them yet, I did some space missions.
When coming back to the contracts, they were in a strange state, where they could not be completed, so I had to cancel them.
Also, "Barnstorm Jeb's tool shed" and "Fly a spaceplane to the edge of space" failed because I accepted them and then went on to space missions. The "safely/without destroying your aircraft" condition failed.
Most of the contracts have re-appeared and have been completed. But when "Barnstorm Jeb's tool shed" re-appeared, the waypoint was at the correct position, but the shed was halfway inside the hangar. During the mission, the barn and hangar exploded, but the contract could be completed by flying under the waypoint.

1. "rescue climbers" mission bug

climbers fall from terrain into textures then i change craft (rescue\climbers)

17f2940cf5d0.png

2. and issue - Mission about the tourist bus was already 4 times - it is really annoying...

Edited by *MajorTom*

On 5/27/2016 at 10:28 AM, norup said:

I am enjoying this mod GAP 1.2.5, but also having some issues:
After accepting the missions: "Achieve Mach 3" and "Fly an airplane to 35.000m", and then finding I did not have the technology to complete them yet, I did some space missions.
When coming back to the contracts, they were in a strange state, where they could not be completed, so I had to cancel them.
Also, "Barnstorm Jeb's tool shed" and "Fly a spaceplane to the edge of space" failed because I accepted them and then went on to space missions. The "safely/without destroying your aircraft" condition failed.
Most of the contracts have re-appeared and have been completed. But when "Barnstorm Jeb's tool shed" re-appeared, the waypoint was at the correct position, but the shed was halfway inside the hangar. During the mission, the barn and hangar exploded, but the contract could be completed by flying under the waypoint.

now thats weird. can you reproduce it?

3 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

1. "rescue climbers" mission bug

climbers fall from terrain into textures then i change craft (rescue\climbers)

17f2940cf5d0.png

2. and issue - Mission about the tourist bus was already 4 times - it is really annoying...

ill be looking over the K2 mission before releasing 1.2.6. i may adjust their location.

ill also be looking at decreasing the instance of the bus tour contract.  a rebalancing of the contract weights may be necessary to ensure new contracts are showing up.  don't be afraid to cancel contracts to generate new ones.

7 hours ago, inigma said:

This is a frequent problem with ContractConfigurator contracts. I don't know if it's related to CC itself or bugs in the contract packs, but contracts frequently seem to get attached to particular ships after which they cannot be completed by other ships (even if the ship the contract is attached to gets destroyed), so if you accept the contract and don't complete it immediately it may become uncompletable. I've seen this with other contract packs too, like Advanced Progression and possibly KFiles.

Edited by AdamMil

For the rescue contracts, are you supposed to get to keep the kerbals like the stock rescue contracts?

Also, every rescue contract I've ever done, all of the kerbals fall beneath the land and float in some water below. I have to hyperedit them back to land so I can pick them up. Is this a known issue? If not I can try demonstrating it and find a log (I haven't had one in a couple of days, but just randomly thought of it).

Edited by drhay53

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.