3D support

NVidia and others allow you to wear glasses and see a 3D image on the computer screen. I am going to get a new PC soon (for the Rift) so that's how I found out. I searched the forums and apparently 3D mode doesn't work with KSP, though there exists a mod that makes it less broken. 

I wish KSP worked in 3D. That's be very cool. 

Yeah, I think a lot of people here (possibly including myself) would have strong feelings of hatred towards Squad if they put 3D on top of their priorities.

Let's wait for 1.1, 64bit, multi-threading, bugfixes and tweaks, multiplayer, gas planet 2, and a whole bunch of things that were promised, first, and then start to worry about 3D.

I don't have a problem with the feature itself, for those who want it and can use it.  However, as mentioned, the number of players capable of using such a feature are very small and for Squad to prioritize this over the big ticket items that still need to be done would be nonsensical.  I mean, I'm not in charge of Squad or anything, but that is my opinion.

TBH, I was kind of (pleasantly) surprised they bothered with TrackIR support, but cockpit already had free look and all the other modes are tied to mouselook so I don't imagine it took them all that much time to develop.

Edited by Alshain

I think some of you misunderstood.

I am not asking for VR (though that would be awesome). What I am asking for is 3D. The stuff you can see with a $5 pair of red-blue glasses, of (with fancier video cards) a pair of LCD shutter glasses.

The effect is done by the video card, using the 3D information that is already there. What the devs have to do is to be careful with their UI code so it works well with the effect.

There is a thread somewhere where someone tried it, and he reports that the added depth perception made docking much easier - but that the UI looked wonky.

My understanding is that you mostly just want to make sure everything has a good z value. It looks the same in 2D but in 3D you notice if the UI is too far in front of in the back. There's probably more to it, I don't know - it'll be up to SQUAD to understand how/whether they can do it. I'm just saying that if they do it, at least one person will be appreciative :)

Edited by nohelmet

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, nohelmet said:

You know what? Never mind. They charge $120 for this stuff! Half as much as a screen, just for a pair of glasses and a blinking light!

I'll just wait for KSP VR.

You're gonna be waiting a while... 

On 14 January 2016 at 3:31 AM, nohelmet said:

I am not asking for VR (though that would be awesome). What I am asking for is 3D. The stuff you can see with a $5 pair of red-blue glasses, of (with fancier video cards) a pair of LCD shutter glasses.

I'm actually pretty sure that KSP already has a red and blue 3D setting, I'm pretty sure I used it once and it worked pretty good. I'm not entirely sure as it was ages ago when I (possibly) did it.

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

2 hours ago, YargJay9991 said:

You're gonna be waiting a while... 

I'm actually pretty sure that KSP already has a red and blue 3D setting, I'm pretty sure I used it once and it worked pretty good. I'm not entirely sure as it was ages ago when I (possibly) did it.

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

Also called 'Anaglyph 3D'. I remember that too. I don't remember how to activate or if still can be activated.

On 14/01/2016 at 5:31 PM, nohelmet said:

a pair of LCD shutter glasses

I had a pair once.  The LCD shutter basically blanks out each eye alternately while the monitor displays a slightly different image for each eye.  They're quite expensive because you need the glasses with the LCD shutters, and you need a device on top of your monitor to synchronise the glasses and display.  The price you quoted is about the same as what I paid over ten years ago though so that's weird.

The 3D effect was excellent.  Drawbacks are that you have to wear the things (mine were about the size of a pair of safety specs), and that you need your desired FPS x 2.  So to get the effect of 60fps, you need to be running KSP at 120fps.  Oh and you need driver support, which only one or the other supplied, think it was Nvidia.

As you stated, most devs don't take 3d depth into account when programming the UI, and that in itself made most games unplayable.  Those that worked well (especially flight sims with virtual cockpits) were fricking incredible.

7 hours ago, Matt77 said:

The price you quoted is about the same as what I paid over ten years ago though so that's weird.

Yeah I think the real cost of components has gone way down but they didn't change the price. For that price I can get an extra million pixels on my monitor. They offer three pixels. Fancy pixels, sure, but still. I doubt many buy it at that price.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.