Changes in career

My idea in change career to make time more valuable and more:

• Add salary for all kerbals  (x2 if on a mission) - adds reason to rescue them and fast forwarding can be costly,
  • Huge reputation penalty if kerbal are abandoned - also adds reason to rescue it
  • Killing kerbal also have some reputation penalty but not too big (accidents happens)
  • Research modes for all probe cores and pods which gives passive science income. Depending from how many science experiments available, if crew are present if pods. And must have power and antena. Also probes provides tiny amount of passive science income while crewed missions provide more but still not that much to cover kerbal salary if time warping. So still are need to do missions for cash.

Having all this will have meaning of all 100s of satellites, I know there are coming satellite networks but i am talking about science satellites. Time will have some meaning - have to be careful with time warp or run out of money. Plus all this seems more realistic ( at least for me :D ) .

Shouldn't killing a kerbal be the worst penalty? If a NASA astronaut was killed it'd be headlines for MONTHS. Imagine them saying "accidents happen guys, too bad".

Dear Family,

We killed your relative! It was an accident. Sorry!

Worst wishes, NASA.

Edited by Aperture Science Employee

I think an abandoned astronaut would be even worse.

For the idea: I wish there was more reason to use kerbals and less to use probes. Your idea would make it even more extreme. Making time expensive would be a nice thing on the other hand. Why not combine: Probes need money (for the controller personal at KSC) and kerbals do not bill for the time (the simply love to go to space).

On the other hand this is still unbalanced, as there is no income over time and it is to consider what happens when you are bankrupt; starting with contracts again might be complicated if your probes cost time.

On 24/01/2016 at 7:43 PM, marcello639 said:

Add salary for all kerbals  (x2 if on a mission) - adds reason to rescue them and fast forwarding can be costly

Yes, good idea.  I currently have about 20 rescues under my belt (I've never recruited a Kerbal), the crew building was overloaded (no penalty was applied for that though).  I've not used more than about six Kerbals at one time in this career.

But also, how much does NASA spend on astronaut salaries, compared to the price of a single rocket?  I doubt wages are even a drop in the ocean.

Huge reputation penalty if kerbal are abandoned - also adds reason to rescue it

I like.  But how would the game logic know a Kerbal is abandoned?  It could just be a long solo mission.  If you use TAC LS, abandoned Kerbals die due to lack of food / power / etc.  Life support should be stock, but Squad don't want that.

Research modes for all probe cores and pods which gives passive science income

Good idea, it would remove some science clicking - I get fed up when I get a kerbal into Mun orbit for the first time, and I have to EVA over every single biome to get "EVA report above the Eastern Crater" etc.  At that point the science gains are worth it, but it's tedious.

2 hours ago, Matt77 said:

But how would the game logic know a Kerbal is abandoned?  It could just be a long solo mission.  If you use TAC LS, abandoned Kerbals die due to lack of food / power / etc.  Life support should be stock, but Squad don't want that.

No power and no way to move the vehicle around.  Then add say, 3 years delay from that point.  Go rescue your botanist man... come on ! 

On 1/26/2016 at 10:33 PM, Cornholio said:

If probes provided passive science then probe spamming would be a major issue unless there were diminishing returns of course.

Lets say, limit the maximum stacked science per body. For example  Kerbin  max 20 science per time frame (month, year...) Duna 50...

On 1/26/2016 at 9:31 PM, Kaos said:

On the other hand this is still unbalanced, as there is no income over time and it is to consider what happens when you are bankrupt; starting with contracts again might be complicated if your probes cost time.

For that there are strategies... to get same funds when run out. I think Bailout or smth like that.

On 1/25/2016 at 2:53 AM, Aperture Science Employee said:

Dear Family,

Worst wishes, NASA.

Well , it's a game... 

Edited by marcello639
Some rephrasing

On 1/25/2016 at 0:53 AM, Aperture Science Employee said:

Shouldn't killing a kerbal be the worst penalty? If a NASA astronaut was killed it'd be headlines for MONTHS. Imagine them saying "accidents happen guys, too bad".

Dear Family,

Worst wishes, NASA.

Meanwhile, at KSC, Random Kerman dies after rocket explodes in launchpad.

"Dear Random Kerman's relatives,

Unfortunately, our brave astronaut has died because physics.

We are sorry for your loss. Walter is sad at the reputation, too.

We will deliver "Kerbal Condolences" Fruit and Cheese packages to your family.

Yours truly,

KSC Intern #0069"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.