Anyone Else Recently Build A Bad@** PC in Reponse to upcoming 1.1?

scribbleheli

Yup, it's pretty good.

Very quiet, very fast and I didn't even have to reinstall windows.

ksp is in the green almost all the time.

Barely dipped into yellow on the 1.1 Jool aerobrake scenario, mostly was 70-80 fps with the gtx650 and in the ~30 on the built in graphics.

I've set it to 4.1ghz on the auto settings and temps are less than stock on the e8500

3 hours ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

Took the plunge and bought my new hardware.

I ended up scaling back a little as I didn't see a $150 value in going for the 6700k.

My new system (currently installing drivers etc...) is thus

MSI Z170A Krait Gaming Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4
Cryorig H7 CPU Cooler (super quiet and same price as the evo212)

Carried over from my old system is the Fractal R5 case (Nice & quiet) Gigabyte GTX650 and a 650 Watt coolermaster PSU that'll need replacing in a year or two.

Will report back with performance specs later.

I've looked at building a very similar machine, but with a GTX960, but the cost has blown out a bit. Dropping to a GTX 950 will save me over $100, judging by your results that should be plenty enough shouldn't it?

6 minutes ago, Falcon Coupe said:

I've looked at building a very similar machine, but with a GTX960, but the cost has blown out a bit. Dropping to a GTX 950 will save me over $100, judging by your results that should be plenty enough shouldn't it?

I'd say so.

According to this review  it should over clock to 4.5ghz easily

I was meaning the GPU specifically, for pretty much mostly KSP will a GTX 950 be enough? I almost feel that the 960 could be overkill. I know the 6600K will be a great CPU, I was going to put it on the MSI Z170A Tomahawk board, but I'll most likely need to downgrade for budget reasons. Might have to go a 6500, which will let me go for a cheaper range of motherboard.

The build was on budget, until I realised that I had forgotten windows... Then delivery alone is $200 on top of that! And no, I can't go into a physical store, my closest store is 750km away down a 4wd track.

oh right.

My first sentence was directed at the gpu.

I can't imagine that the 960 would be that much better for ksp.

You sound like you're in Australia too (distance and postage sounds like it anyway)

pccasegear have a few bundles at the moment with good parts.

My upgrade was only $650.

24 minutes ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

oh right.

My first sentence was directed at the gpu.

I can't imagine that the 960 would be that much better for ksp.

You sound like you're in Australia too (distance and postage sounds like it anyway)

pccasegear have a few bundles at the moment with good parts.

My upgrade was only $650.

Yeah I am, Nhulunbuy NT.

I have seen those bundles, but they are still out of my price range. I'm planning on buying everything from pccasegear.

My problem is that I'm not upgrading, im starting from scratch. Oh wait, I take that back, I started with my 9 year old Logitech VX nano mouse! I'm upgrading from a laptop...

13 minutes ago, Falcon Coupe said:

Yeah I am, Nhulunbuy NT.

I have seen those bundles, but they are still out of my price range. I'm planning on buying everything from pccasegear.

My problem is that I'm not upgrading, im starting from scratch. Oh wait, I take that back, I started with my 9 year old Logitech VX nano mouse! I'm upgrading from a laptop...

Cheese Louise, that's far far away!

Now I understand the postage issue.

50 minutes ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

Cheese Louise, that's far far away!

Now I understand the postage issue.

Yeah, everything bigger than small parcels come by barge once a week.

Luckily I found two second hand screens locally real cheap, I'd hate to see the postage costs with a screen along with the Corsair Obisdian 450D case! (Might be culled for a cheaper alternative anyway)

3 hours ago, scribbleheli said:

Yesterday i launched two 428 part ships to orbit at once. Was supposed to be 3, but my third didn't have a pilot...oops

My FPS with in the 15 range. But shadow play doesn't show up with the screenshots.

http://imgur.com/a/qR0gB

Impressive, most impressive.
I've never managed to even build more than 300 parts.
Almost all my large ships don't do that orbit reachy thing that the games are intended to do.

I must say that this upgrade I great, none of the cores are anywhere near max usage and I've got a lot of things open and I'm still getting excellent frames.

Also, my refrigerator is now louder than my compute.
I can even hear the buzzing of my monitor (not a feature I like, but hey... can't afford to replace it for a while).

Edited by T.A.P.O.R.
Noise comments

Seriously happy with the upgrade.

KSP runs beautifully, though COH2 doesn't rate my GPU highly (no surprises there).

i turned off the 4.1ghz overclock as I haven't managed to build anything that's requires it.

My imagination tends to run out at around 200 parts. I guess that's a habit left over from the slow pc days :)

17 hours ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

Seriously happy with the upgrade.

KSP runs beautifully, though COH2 doesn't rate my GPU highly (no surprises there).

i turned off the 4.1ghz overclock as I haven't managed to build anything that's requires it.

My imagination tends to run out at around 200 parts. I guess that's a habit left over from the slow pc days :)

With your set up before and after. I could see no other outcome except for gleaming smiles. 

I am quite happy again with mine. 

Getting a GTX 980 for less then 300$ caused the obvious happy dance. Not KSP needed per say, though I wish KSP has a larger graphical need. But your 650 will work fine I think for the life of KSP. 

Push your CPU to the limit. I'm wanting that "Burn Together" mod to get updated so i can launch Massive space Stations all at once and fly to orbit. Get 2, 500+ part station/base modules launched at the same time but on different cpu cores. 

On 1/28/2016 at 7:05 AM, Porkjet said:

- i5-4690 @ 3.50 GHz
- 16GB RAM
- Nvidia GTX 760
- SSD primary drive (but only 64GB ;_;  I shouldnt have skimped on that one)
- 1920 x 1200 monitor (16:10 aspect master race)

This is the closest I could find to my potential upgrade. Interested in hearing opinions. The current machine runs 1.0 and previous quite well (about 250+ part stations are the most common). 

Current Machine:

Intel G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (OC to about 4.0GHz)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 

Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX 

Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" SSD

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card

Antec ISK600 Mini ITX Tower Case

OCZ EliteXStream 800W

Potential Upgrades:

*Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core    

*Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 

Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX 

*Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

OCZ EliteXStream 800W

39 minutes ago, texasflyboy said:

This is the closest I could find to my potential upgrade. Interested in hearing opinions. The current machine runs 1.0 and previous quite well (about 250+ part stations are the most common). 

Current Machine:

Intel G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (OC to about 4.0GHz)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 

Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX 

Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

OCZ EliteXStream 800W

Potential Upgrades:

*Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core    

*Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 

Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX 

*Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

OCZ EliteXStream 800W

I'd not bother changing coolers when you change the CPU.

The EVO is pretty good and nice & quiet (very similar to the Cryorig H7 in mine).
I originally considered a liquid cooler, but the H7 I put in my build is so quiet and efficient that I am glad that I saved the $100.

At the very least, I'd try the 212 and see how well it performs.
If all good then you've saved some cash, if not up to snuff you can always add it in later :)

I just ordered a PC so I can move away from laptop gaming, should go pretty good:

i5 6600k CPU

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 RAM

MSI Gaming GTX 950 2GB GPU

MSI Z170A Tomahawk motherboard

Corsair H110i GT AIO liquid cooler

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Corsair RM650i power supply

Corsair Obsidian 450D case

I even lashed out and bought a Razer Blackwidow stealth ultimate keyboard.

I imagine the guy packing my order will be thinking "He's bought everything for a full setup, but he's forgotten a mouse and screen!"

12 minutes ago, Falcon Coupe said:

Corsair H110i GT AIO liquid cooler

That is a nice set-up, that should run most things you throw at it with ease. What is with the expensive cooler, though? You did not want to spend a little more on a video card or SSD with MLC memory?

2 hours ago, Camacha said:

That is a nice set-up, that should run most things you throw at it with ease. What is with the expensive cooler, though? You did not want to spend a little more on a video card or SSD with MLC memory?

On the SSD portion: I would recommend 3D TLC over MLC. http://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?doc_id=1327904

Also, that cooler makes it overclockable.

3 hours ago, Camacha said:

The cooler is for overclocking and I live in a very hot area so it's quite likely to run in a very hot room if I leave it running without the air con on.

I would have really liked to go a bit higher spec on the video card but couldn't quite make the budget stretch that far. I also figured that I can easily upgrade the video card later when I need to.

3 hours ago, Falcon Coupe said:

The cooler is for overclocking and I live in a very hot area so it's quite likely to run in a very hot room if I leave it running without the air con on.

I would have really liked to go a bit higher spec on the video card but couldn't quite make the budget stretch that far. I also figured that I can easily upgrade the video card later when I need to.

Well, that was kind of the implied point. The cooler itself is not the worst thing to buy, but considering the budget, you will need to sacrifice something else. In this case, it seems to be the video card. Another 50 or 80 dollars could mean a nice little improvement. Even though DDR4 is cheap-ish at the moment, the same goes for that. 8 GB will likely be enough for a few years to come when it comes to games and even more serious production work. It is not a waste to buy it now, but that too means sacrificing something else.

That being said, you are right that a video card is easily replaced. They also tend to age the quickest, so top tier stuff will never be great value for money. There might be a little room there, though.

4 hours ago, Alphasus said:

On the SSD portion: I would recommend 3D TLC over MLC. http://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?doc_id=1327904

3D NAND appears to be faster than planar memory, but 3D MLC will be slower than 3D TLC. Apples to apples, MLC is always superior.

Also, that cooler makes it overclockable.

A chip under a good air cooler can be overclocked to pretty much the same point. The difference between individual chips is bigger than the difference between closed loop and air.

Edited by Camacha

@Camacha

re: cooling & overclocking.

I came to the same conclusion and saved $100

I figured that since I don't have a high end board, the likelihood of having a stable oc greater than 4.5ghz seems remote.

My new build is quiet, fast and runs at low temps.

Summer is gone, but I doubt that it will struggle to cool it next time around.

45 minutes ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

@Camacha

I figured that since I don't have a high end board, the likelihood of having a stable oc greater than 4.5ghz seems remote.

My new build is quiet, fast and runs at low temps.

Summer is gone, but I doubt that it will struggle to cool it next time around.

Even custom loops make very little difference nowadays. Closed loop systems will at best gain you a few degeres and possibly no MHz at all. If there is any difference at all, it will be on the far edge of what is possible regarding an overclock and you would probably be pushing it too far already for 24/7 use. Water cooling is great to toy with, but result wise not very interesting, especially considering the associated costs. Air coolers have simply become too good and they are cheap and reliable to boot.

Kinda, i have built a new pc, thourgh not entirely for KSP 1.1, it's also for Battlefield 4.

specs: 

I5 6600K

Asus Z170I PRO GAMING

HyperX FURY DDR4 2x4GB 2666 MHz RAM

Corsair SF600 600W Gold PSU

EVGA GTX 980 TI ACX 2.0 ( from my old pc )

Samsung 950 Pro 256 GB NVME M.2 SSD

NCase M1

Be Quiet Dark Rock TF

4xEKWB Vardar F4-120ER

AOC G2460PQU 1080P 144Hz Monitor

Logitech G303 mouse

CM Storm NovaTouch TKL keyboard

Zowie G-SR mousepad

56 minutes ago, Falcon Coupe said:

All my parts arrived, nearly died of shock when they only took 2 days to arrive instead of the 4-6 weeks I was expecting! Now they have to sit and wait in the box for a few weeks :(

Stupid weeks. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.