Unnecessary warning given to scientist

When a scientist takes data from the mystery goo, he gets a strong warning "this module can only be restored by a scientist!". Duh, I am a scientist!

This warning would be appropriate for a pilot or engineer taking the data, but certainly not when the data is being taken by an actual scientist? The warning should probably be omitted when it's a scientist taking the data, or at the very least phrased differently. Maybe even restore the goo automatically, since there's no good reason a scientist would intentionally take data and not restore the goo afterwards.

(Same goes for Science Jr., obviously)

I have faint memory of such mod (or was it just a cfg tweak?), but for the love of google I can't find it.

Though there is the For Science mod. It kinda' automates the full process of doing experiments, up to transferring it to the pod, and resetting stuff if a scientist is aboard. I never used it before, so I can't tell if it works with the current version (but it most likely does).

Though the last time I checked, it didn't have a neat config menu. If I read this right, you can disable all of it's functions besides eliminating the EVA warning.

1Iq2mYA.jpg

Umm. I'm lazy to test if it works as I suspect. But if you aren't, you could tell us the results. ^_^

I heartily agree with the idea.  When milking Minmus or Mun for science, it's a bit annoying to go through all the warnings and Restore clicks.  Is there any time you *wouldn't* want to restore a materials bay or mystery goo after removing the results with a scientist?

Yeah I wanted to make something to remedy this http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/125949-making-a-simple-game-enhancement-mod-some-advice-needed/#comment-2287994

But it's beyond my skill level:(  I imagine a skilled modder could do this pretty easily though, seeing some of the other crazy %$#@ that gets made :cool:

15 hours ago, Evanitis said:

I have faint memory of such mod (or was it just a cfg tweak?), but for the love of google I can't find it.

Though there is the For Science mod. It kinda' automates the full process of doing experiments, up to transferring it to the pod, and resetting stuff if a scientist is aboard. I never used it before, so I can't tell if it works with the current version (but it most likely does).

Though the last time I checked, it didn't have a neat config menu. If I read this right, you can disable all of it's functions besides eliminating the EVA warning.

1Iq2mYA.jpg

Umm. I'm lazy to test if it works as I suspect. But if you aren't, you could tell us the results. ^_^

It works, it's a great mod. Remember getting multiple crew reports on 1 mission, when you have to EVA, take data, then return again....none of that anymore. If you can do it by clicking on stuff, then this mod has already done it in a blink of an eye:D
(on 1.0.5 64bit with lots of other such mods, no problems)

• 2 weeks later...

bump why has this not been implemented?  Nothing more frustrating then the science click fest.  On a side note all of the data scanners (temp, pressure, graviole, sismec) should run continuously and give science for all biomes passed through upon return.  Also these devices only recorded data the fact they can not transmit at 100% boggles the mind.  IMO less science for these and more for goo, science jr, and ATM (actually returned samples)

On 2/14/2016 at 11:20 AM, Nich said:

bump why has this not been implemented?  Nothing more frustrating then the science click fest.  On a side note all of the data scanners (temp, pressure, graviole, sismec) should run continuously and give science for all biomes passed through upon return.  Also these devices only recorded data the fact they can not transmit at 100% boggles the mind.  IMO less science for these and more for goo, science jr, and ATM (actually returned samples)

I think there is a bit of a balance issue. It's hard to solve.

If you automatically gather all the science without doing anything, then what? You touch down, sit there for a moment, and lift off. Maybe you get out and plant some flags. But it's kind of anti-climatic, especially for new players. They want to feel like they are *doing something*. "Wow! I'm eva-ing on the Mun! I'm running science experiments! This is cool!"

But when you have landed on the Mun hundreds of times, it's more of a chore. "OK, run down the checklist. Click this science, click that science, click this other science, remember to grab a surface sample, reset the containers, lift off ... oh damn, forgot to grab the crew report!" You know what I'm talking about, right?

So how do they balance it for both?

I do understand the balance issue. In fact I couldn't have phrased it better. Maybe the science tree could unlock some sort of science automation module so you only have to do those tedious bits a few times. On the other hand, it's a game so I guess I can live with the clicking.

My original point certainly remains valid in my opinion: if a scientist takes data from an experiment, don't warn him that you need a scientist to reset it afterwards. Just reset it right away. But maybe that's already been planned for 1.1 in the "small menu changes".

I had forgotten how fun clicking science was when I first started I totally agree that it should be left in for new players now although I really like your idea of unlocking a data recorder part that automatically does this for you you can even set a  memory limit and once it's full and must be transmitted 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.