Variable sphere of influence

Would you like to see this feature in KSP?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this feature in KSP?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I don't know.

On 05.03.2016. at 9:34 AM, Joonatan1998 said:

If it can be implemented without causing lag this would be nice.

Just mark the minimum SOI size clearly.

Present SOIs are minimal possible SOIs, the ones that would exist when the body is in periapsis. That means SOI can only grow.

2 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Present SOIs are minimal possible SOIs, the ones that would exist when the body is in periapsis. That means SOI can only grow.

I know, I just want it to be clearly shown if an orbit is stable or not if the add this.

On 3/2/2016 at 0:49 PM, lajoswinkler said:

This suggestion is not about creating nondeterministic systems. I repeat - stuff is on rails and the effect appears far away from bodies' surfaces. Present day SOI radiuses are calculated for their periapses, so SOIs would only oscillate between present value and some larger one. Not fluctuate, but oscillate. Predictable, periodic function.

Not saying it's why it can't be done, just clarifying the reasoning, but n-body and atmospheric effects aren't non-deterministic as KSP would implement them either.  It's that atmospheric effects are hard to integrate and n-body physics would change a lot of assumptions built into the code of KSP.

Personally, I don't think this would be particularly hard to implement, I just don't see much of a payoff for the work it would take.

On 3/7/2016 at 3:33 AM, Joonatan1998 said:

I know, I just want it to be clearly shown if an orbit is stable or not if the add this.

It's easy, just check your Ap against the min SoI shown in the map view.

Yes, that's not as "visual" as having some explicit UI indicator getting in your face-- but then, if you're orbiting Duna, you don't get any explicit visual indicator telling you "is Ike going to get in my face," either.

And it would be a lot easier to distinguish "safe orbit in variable SoI" than "safe orbit around Duna", plus most bodies are in fairly circular orbits and thereby wouldn't have their SoI change much anyway, so I really don't see this as introducing any problems in that regard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.