Challenge: Build a rover that fits inside a 2.5m cargo bay.

Impetus: In Scott Manley's Career Mode Tutorial Part 22 he builds a rover and mounts it into a 2.5m cargo bay; see 10 minute mark).  Seems like a reliable and intelligent way to get it from here to there.

Goal: Design a small one-size-fits-all rover inside a cargo bay (for easy subassembly) with the best balance of mass, power, reliability, durability, science, and part count.

Motivation: It sure would be nice to have a rover subassembly ready to attach to the rocket you're building.  If we could get the mass and part count low enough we could even add multiple rovers to the same rocket or lander.

Rules:

1. Use stock parts. 

2. Parts may clip, but must still be visible/clickable.

3. Post a picture of your rover.  Consider posting the craft file as well, especially if you think you've come up with something exceptional. 

4. Explain your risk mitigation strategies for broken wheels, overturned craft, etc. 

5. OPTIONAL: Score your craft (honor system) as below and post the score.

Scoring:

low part count (includes cargo bay lander): 1 point for every part less than 24.  example: if your total part count is 20 then your score is 24-20=4 points.  part count includes the can you delivered it in, and also whatever part was used to dock it to th

light mass (can carry more than one to a planet): 1 point for every 0.1kg less than 3kg

science gear: 10 for science jr (max 1); 5 for goo (max 1); 3 for each other science detector type

durability: 10 points: Can you fix a broken wheel?  Can you right the craft if it overturns?

crew: 5 points if it can carry a Kerbal

capable: 5 points: can your craft handle steep hill climb and steep descent?  

speed on flat ground: 5 points: average speed 10m/s-20m/s.  8 points: avg speed 20-30m/s. 10 points: avg speed >30m/s  (without sustaining injury from terrain or unanticipated airborned events): 

self-sustaining: 10 points.  can it power itself without fuel?  typ. solar power and electric wheels.

returnable to orbit: 16 points.  Can it return to orbit with onboard rockets?  Also counts if the can you delivered it in has enough fuel and engines to return the rover to orbit, and the rover is able to get back inside the can or otherwise mount back onto it somehow. 

Badge for badgers:

OXfYvBq.gif

Final thoughts:
I could use some suggestions on the scoring.  The goal is to create lightweight rover designs that maximize reliable science collection.

Below is Scott Manley's example from the video I mentioned above:
xJ59dQj.png
Edited by dunebugmi
slight change to rules

Here's a little entry from me...

I decided to give it a run on the Mun. It is rock solid stable thanks to the downward-angled ion engine - unless you get really stupid. On an open stretch of ground the speed can get really silly, easily hitting 100m/s!

Oh yes, the score...umm, let me see...1 point for being manned, 5 points for not using powered wheels, -1 point for lack of colour, 87 points for speed...so about 1297 points in total!

Edited by Foxster

Awesome show great job!  How'd you get the rover out of the cargo bay?  I like the ion engine idea- yes it uses fuel, but uses so little that it would not run out before your mission finished.  Can the ion engine lift you back into orbit?

I tested a similar rover that used landing gear and it survived something like 100m/s rolling downhill.  It had difficulties flipping over and exploding until I added some gyros.  I'm a big fan of landing gear wheels now.

I appreciate your approach to scoring.  Do you think I should just get rid of that section?

Thanks for the submission

2 minutes ago, dunebugmi said:

How'd you get the rover out of the cargo bay?

With a crowbar! 

But really I added a large landing strut to the cargo bay and when extended it pushed the rover out - having de-coupled it first. 

6 minutes ago, dunebugmi said:

I appreciate your approach to scoring.  Do you think I should just get rid of that section?

I'm not sure it adds much really. It's just kinda fun squeezing a useable rover into a tight space. But it does no harm either. 

I did this for my first long term Minmus mission, but I don't think I can have any screenshots of it... I had to move the mission due to it being in a bad place and I left the Rover behind. I also accidentally blew the "base" up, the crew survived and got a new Hab module in only 40 days! :D

I could show the specs of it. and what remains of the mission...

Obsidan, out

I have got one that can fit, I designed it a few versions ago so in the pics you will see different loadouts.

I will not really count my score (lost it after the durability assestment).

My last loadout is a RTG powered twin seater, it carries one of each science instruments but the science Jr.

It is slightly clipped but still each component is selectable.

It is not an hot rod, averaging 12 m/s on flat terrain.

Edited by Signo

8 hours ago, dunebugmi said:

Do it

I'm particularly interested in the mass of your rover, what was used to propel it, and whether it held together?

Its a piece of junk, but it roves. And the base is splattered across a hillside :D I will try to get some tommorow.

Obsidian, out

I'm doing just that in my Duna Space Program series.  I already landed it, but I haven't finished the video yet, and it's a bit late in the cue...  I'll try to remember to post it here when I finish it.  The only mod parts are for hullcam VDS so I can get good shots from it.

On 3/11/2016 at 5:52 PM, KSP Bros said:

Perfect. Do I get extra points if there are many rovers?

If you're able to deliver them to separate planetary locations then yes.  There isn't much point in having two rovers in the same location/biome is there?

23 minutes ago, dunebugmi said:

If you're able to deliver them to separate planetary locations then yes.  There isn't much point in having two rovers in the same location/biome is there?

Ok. Extra points for fitting in small cargo bay?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.