Mouse's project thread. Spinny things, pulsejets, EmDrive and, other odds and ends.

SpaceMouse

@Benji13 I spent a few minutes making a .cfg for a Xenon mark 2 tank, you can copy pretty much any .cfg and just replace it with this:

PART
{
	name = mk2FuselageShortXenon
	module = Part
	author = Porkjet
	rescaleFactor = 1
	node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.9375, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
	node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.9375, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
	node_attach = 1.25, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1
	mirrorRefAxis = 0, 0, -1
	TechRequired = ionPropulsion
	entryCost = 18500
	cost = 70000
	category = Propulsion
	subcategory = 0
	title = Mk2 Xenon Fuel Fuselage Short
	manufacturer = C7 Aerospace Division
	description = This airframe fuselage features the latest in lifting technology. Not only does it stay together during flight, it's sleek design makes your plane just that much speedier! Only carries Xenon Gas.
	attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
	mass = 1.57
	dragModelType = default
	maximum_drag = 0.2
	minimum_drag = 0.3
	angularDrag = 1
	crashTolerance = 50
	breakingForce = 50
	breakingTorque = 50
	maxTemp = 2500 // = 3000
	emissiveConstant = 0.8
	fuelCrossFeed = True
	bulkheadProfiles = srf, mk2
	tags = aircraft airplane fueltank xenon plane propellant tank
	MODEL
	{
		model = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk2FuselageShort/FuselageShortLiquid
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLiftingSurface
		useInternalDragModel = False
		deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.35
		dragAtMaxAoA = 0.15
		dragAtMinAoA = 0.1
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = XenonGas
		amount = 16000
		maxAmount = 16000
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 2000
		maxAmount = 2000
	}
}

3 of the large tanks fit in a mk2 cargo bay perfectly, so i added them together and also added batteries as there was plenty of room. prices and weights are scaled proportionally.

dnVySML.jpg

Ignore the wierd KSP shading.

Was gonna keep this semi-secret but here's the updates to the EM drives. The original will probably get re-scaled to .625.
Also, the radiators on the original will probably change once again. these are a bit better but I'm still not fond of them.
New one has a huge magnetron liquid-cooling and.... not much else. I added some capacitors as greebles. Anyone have other ideas?

Edited by SpaceMouse

2 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

Was gonna keep this semi-secret but here's the updates to the EM drives. The original will probably get re-scaled to .625.
Also, the radiators on the original will probably change once again. these are a bit better but I'm still not fond of them.
New one has a huge magnetron liquid-cooling and.... not much else. I added some capacitors as greebles. Anyone have other ideas?

Maybe put some warning labels on it? "Warning! Contains Dark Magic!"

"This end up." with a double headed arrow.

I guess serious warning labels would work too.

14 hours ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

Maybe put some warning labels on it? "Warning! Contains Dark Magic!"

"This end up." with a double headed arrow.

I guess serious warning labels would work too.

Wouldn't be Kerbal without silly warnings! I'm not great at GIMP and actually have issues getting text to look right in game. Might add something like a power supply on top to continue the very loose inspiration by PC components..

1 hour ago, SpaceMouse said:

Wouldn't be Kerbal without silly warnings! I'm not great at GIMP and actually have issues getting text to look right in game. Might add something like a power supply on top to continue the very loose inspiration by PC components..

Maybe add greeble from an old-style microwave oven? A rotary analog timing dial and oven door...

23 minutes ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

Maybe add greeble from an old-style microwave oven? A rotary analog timing dial and oven door...

Hah! I want them to actually look like they belong, i could almost maybe justify a dial of some kind. The magnetron on the 1st one is directly inspired by microwaves and the hobbiest ones you can find on youtube. Then i got 'serious'.

Edited by SpaceMouse

• 4 weeks later...

ELFVg2q.jpg
Thought this was worthy of a post. My centrifuge ring that wasn't working because of a KSP bug appears to be working flawlessly now. Rover even properly bounces off of the sides to get redirected to the center.
I ran this thing up to 2+ G's without so much as a hiccup. force stretched the ring slightly but no violent explosions!

• 8 months later...

Are there any rules against resurrecting my old thread? Well it's my thread, and i have a reason to. :D
ercIlix.jpg

Did a lot of work on my KSPi FFR 'rocket' and will be shortly splitting it into two variants, the nozzle-only one for KSPI, and a whole reactor/generator/thruster unit I'll put in my own pack. Did a lot of texture work on coolant lines, (I particularly like the heat discolored one i did), I think the green feeder line On the backside with the wires will get  A Fission failsafe reaction cooler tank thingy and, i'll eventually put some power equipment on the top, since i already have the coolant lines. Also changed my really bad 'copper' texture.... Not sure if it's gonna stay. I'm gonna put another trefoil lower on the nozzle, try to break-up the grey a tiny bit, and i need to fiddle with the scaling.
As usual it would be cool to get some opinions. Please? :)

8 minutes ago, wasml said:

Wow! Detail looks nice - I agree a little color to break up the gray would work.

Reactor from Oct, Nov posts looks good too.

Thanks.

I'm getting better at textures but I have trouble still getting stuff to look right that isn't grey (and sometimes when it is). My original Centrifuge I made GREEN for a little variety but it stuck out far too much on a spaceship that's mostly grey. Part of the reason the FFR has the trefoils on the side and the heat-fuel piping is for that reason. I'm probably gonna go over that reactor again some time soon and update my eclectic random parts pack. Also, I just did a antimatter collector for KSPI that looks not completely grey... IMHO.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.