Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Just now, .50calBMg said:

is it just me or did it seem to land kinda hard?

To me there was nothing but light and smoke and then hey there be rocket here.  I think that is why others above are calling it a magic trick.

1 minute ago, .50calBMg said:

is it just me or did it seem to land kinda hard?

This one was coming in twice as fast with less fuel, they categorized the landing attempt as a "suicide slam" so, yeah.

Edited by sojourner

5 minutes ago, Scotius said:

LOL! That was funny: "We don't expect a success in this attempt." Seconds later Falcon lands directly in the center of the landing pad like a floating leaf :D Go SpaceX!

Yeah I saw that I think it was like 1 meter from a perfect bulls eye. They were traveling 2000 km/h faster at MECO than the previous, the hand a longer downrange region to travel, but they got it anyway.

Now they do that second burn on the equator, but you would think they would also do a plane change.  Even if they didn't have enough fuel to complete it, it should save some fuel for the customer.

Just now, Leszek said:

Now they do that second burn on the equator, but you would think they would also do a plane change.  Even if they didn't have enough fuel to complete it, it should save some fuel for the customer.

Plane changes down low are terribly expensive. They do it near GEO altitude where it takes much less delta v. 

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

Plane changes down low are terribly expensive. They do it near GEO altitude where it takes much less delta v. 

I am aware of that! (Thanks KSP!)  But they are releasing the Satellite low, and like I said even if they don't have the fuel to complete it...

Just now, Robotengineer said:

Wooo! Just missed it, but was able to rewind webcast. If they stick a few more landings, and start flying re-used stages, this is going to get horribly boring.

And that is a good thing.

Though I am not sure it will get boring.  I like to go watch ships dock at the local port, they stick those every time and always re-use the ship, still not boring.  Depends on who is doing the watching.

Classic response from the crowd. :D 

Oooh? Ooooh? YEAHHHHH!

Great landing but they haven't succeeded yet...

...It's not getting boring!

Probably never will. :D

If Elon needs space to store used first stages I'll be more than happy to let him use my front yard to store one.  Only 2 hours from the cape.  Should keep those pesky neighbors from bothering me too.

Just now, sojourner said:

If Elon needs space to store used first stages I'll be more than happy to let him use my front yard to store one.  Only 2 hours from the cape.  Should keep those pesky neighbors from bothering me too.

I doubt your yard is big enough.