Mother Development Thread

Bonus Eventus

On April 23, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Drelam said:

Sounds promising.

On April 23, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Gaiiden said:

interest piqued. Thread saved

Thanks guys! Mother builds on what I started with Kerbodyne Plus, expanding on those parts.

Here's a preview of the new Spacecraft Spine system of structural trusses (WIP).

3xuQjY6.jpg

LMPXEmb.jpg

b2KTrBw.jpg

kTtnblM.jpg

Edited by Bonus Eventus

Seems really interesting.

Also, the image in your first post breaks through the post, just letting you know.

Edit: Also, this kind of thing would be great for the multi-generational colony ships that RoverDude has envisioned in the past. So, hopefully you have things that will also mesh with whatever RoverDude makes in the future. :)

Edited by smjjames

14 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Seems really interesting.

Also, the image in your first post breaks through the post, just letting you know.

Edit: Also, this kind of thing would be great for the multi-generational colony ships that RoverDude has envisioned in the past. So, hopefully you have things that will also mesh with whatever RoverDude makes in the future. :)

Mother is mostly focussed on interplanetary travel, the kind of things you would need to go to Jupiter, but I'll keep that in mind :wink:

9 minutes ago, Bonus Eventus said:

Mother is mostly focussed on interplanetary travel, the kind of things you would need to go to Jupiter, but I'll keep that in mind :wink:

It's still the same kind of scale needed though.

As a thought/request: Could you add an EL spawn point to one/some of the T404's?  They'd make good spacedock bays.  :wink:  (An interesting one would be to have a spawn point inside a T404 'hold', with a side that opens up.  It'd be a decent place to build small probes/landers, and the idea of building 'inside' another ship would be fun.)

23 hours ago, DStaal said:

As a thought/request: Could you add an EL spawn point to one/some of the T404's?  They'd make good spacedock bays.  :wink:  (An interesting one would be to have a spawn point inside a T404 'hold', with a side that opens up.  It'd be a decent place to build small probes/landers, and the idea of building 'inside' another ship would be fun.)

I think that's a great idea! Probably won't be very high on the priority list for a while though :wink:

EDIT: It would be awesome if I could find a way to animate the process like in Portal 2

LbSTadK.jpg

Edited by Bonus Eventus

Looks neat.

Two things:

1) I believe BahamutoD has an animated 3D printer in his EPL pack from something like 0.24 for printing rocket parts. I've been fiddling with it, and it uses a custom module called "LoopedKConverterAnimation" and requires BahaD's BDAnimationModules plugin. It's a little above my skill level, but I think it should work (maybe not the LoopedK part, but I know the animation of the part still works, I just haven't figured out how to get it to animate while stamping out rocket parts, like it did in the original). What I'm getting at is it might be something to check out if you're looking at the 3D printing re: Portal thing.

2) Thread title made me think this was about expectant mothers.:D Yup.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

6 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

Thread title made me think this was about expectant mothers...

Lol, I myself thought that it was some reference to the 'Mother' computer in the original 'Alien' movie.  Don't know why, that's just the first thing that came to mind.  :D 

• 3 weeks later...

Been taking the time to play with many of the different life support mods. I'm enjoying Kerbalisim a lot ATM. I like how it makes use of centrifuges.

Centrifuges are something I've been trying to solve for a while now. I've concluded I will need to write a plugin which rotates the IVA.

Kerbalism is a fantastic life support mod in terms of its mechanics and how it functions. You could also integrate TAC-LS too.

But the models of the Kerbalism parts, are a little bit on the ghetto side.....

Aerobraking / Aerocapture is a very useful maneuver when trying to get to planetary systems like Jool. I like using the new 5m heat shield for that very purpose. However, I think having a 9m and 18m variant would be really useful. Not sure it should inflate. Folding like an umbrella might be better.

http://orig02.deviantart.net/901a/f/2015/288/b/c/kronos_1___wip_4_by_macrebisz-d9d84j9.jpg

kronos_1___wip_4_by_macrebisz-d9d84j9.jp

Nasa folding heat shield concept

1a81EjQ.png

bJBBPb0.jpg

EDIT: Found this article from NASA on new thermal tech applied to Orion (3D-MAT) http://www.nasa.gov/ames/advancements-in-thermal-protection-materials-change-the-game-for-orion

Edited by Bonus Eventus