Fussing about bugs...

GoSlash27

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

Problems with wheels (and to a lesser extend, legs) have been menioned in the DevNotes ever since work on the Unity5 engine began. I don't think it's a problem that can be solved in a few weeks. Releasing now has the advantage that in a passionate community you will find a few individuals like @GoSlash27 who actually try to find a solution, and at the very least their input will help Squad in figuring out how to solve the problem.

Given the acidic environment around the Steam-only (for technical reasons) prerelease I'm sure Squad reasoned that “the community” would rather see a bugged release now than a fixed release three months from now. Ancient proverb says be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

How about a buggy PRE-release, with the same forum support (and direct link to bug tracker) so that people knew they were testings, and could see what was being worked on?

I have always been one who doesn't care even a little about "save breaking" updates. Many do, and Squad says that updates wont't do this... I can imagine the wheels/gear issue might screw up many or all of my 1.05 saves if I were to change them to 1.1.

Edited by tater

My experience is that 1.1 works better than 1.0 did. I see that as a good thing especially considering the upgrade from U4 to U5.

My hope is that we will get 1.1.1, 1.1.2 etc until there are far less bugs. This may happen for 1.1.5 if past updates are an indicator.

My second hope is that, much later, there will be 1.1.6 which will be a huge bugfix pass and address more of the longstanding bugs.

I know it`s more sexy to introduce new stuff, more exciting for the user, and probably far more interesting to code but there seems to be a rising desire from the community to eliminate bugs.

It wouldn`t hurt.

Back on topic I agree there should be less threads of complaint and more entries on the bugtracker as that will actually lead to the bug being squashed whereas a thread complaining just bothers other forum users and gives the mods more work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2016 at 4:44 AM, Perringo said:

As I can’t properly play this wonderful game until the dust settles, I’d rather register in the forums and leave my opinion so at least I can practice my writing in English.

I always find it funny when people say thing on the internet like "I'm not good at English" or "I'm practicing my English." Almost every time, they speak English better than most of my countrymen. :) 

Edited by RocketBlam

For me, and some others, the game is currently in an unplayable state, in which it will CTD at random. Krakens, broken landing gear, phantom forces, are all kid stuff... at least you can play the game.

Sure, I could play stock, but that sucks all the fun out of the game for me. Mods made for 1.1.2 should NOT be crashing the game, at all.

13 hours ago, Uncle Mort said:

True, but surely that's the fault of the modder not Squad.

Nope, it is not the modder's fault, but maybe not even Squad's fault either. Unity 5 seems to have some kind of memory address bug that is exacerbated by adding mods. Thus, a mod may work perfectly well with stock KSP, and no other mods. But once a player adds in more and more mods, the chances of a CTD increase.

The crashes that myself, and others, are experiencing do not seem to be related to any mod in particular. Indeed, some are experiencing the crash with stock KSP, it is just taking a longer time to manifest itself. (ie Stock KSP will crash after an hour, while heavily modded KSP will crash in 5 minutes, etc)

Edited by Bloodbunny

On 24-4-2016 at 4:44 PM, GoSlash27 said:

If we want to fix the problems and get back to blowing things up, we need to roll up our sleeves and get to work.

Bug reports need to go in the bug report thread

The vast majority of bugs that people complain about are already reported, known bugs.

On 24-4-2016 at 5:46 PM, ExtremeSquared said:

People don't realize this is still a de facto Early Access game. There will be bugs and they will be fixed. It's being run just fine for an Early Access project.

Oh but we do realize that (aside from the people who maintain that there are no bugs).

We also realize that it is deceptive to market an in-development product as a finished product. 

Would be a first though, to have a de facto Early Access game on console.

Edited by rkman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.