KSP #1 Again :)

MatBailie

I think it's less "is #1" and more "the first one we decided to list." The reviewer also admitted to never being able to reach space (not orbit, mind you, space, which can be reached by flying straight up with two Hammers and a BACC), so I question any claim of having played

long enough to review.

Note that "reach space (and live)" is pretty hard as of 1.0.  Fortunately the relatively obvious "land like spacex" is an option (although it is a lot less clear that you can drop your entry boosters after killing all but ~200 m/s downward velocity).  Hopefully Squad includes enough tutorials and in game hints on how to do it (mostly via parabolic trajectory), but it is one of those things where "difficulty?  What's the problem, its only rocket science" tends to drive off newbies.

A bit funny (for me) that they list both KSP and EvE.

I play both and while they are technically 'space games', they are so far apart in everything as could be.

EvE is a nefarious market/sociological experiment disguised in pretty graphics.

KSP is a ongoing lecture in math and physics disguised in silly graphics.

Article quoted with my comments in bold

"Like your headteacher dressed up as Kanye, the Kerbal Space Program is the most subtly educational game around. Despite its cutesy, Rabbid-like [WTF is Rabbid-like? he's saying they have rabies?] characters, the Kerbal Space Program is a hardcore physics simulator where you get to explore the galaxy[no, just one small solar system, no interstellar travel] - if you can even get a single rocket ship off the ground. [I've never managed it).[other posters said into space... but he can't even get one off the ground... I find that hard to believe, I doubt he played it at all]

You have to build that rocket from parts supplied by a sort-of-NASA, so that it can keep a Kerbal alive for the stressful voyage up into space.[well, that makes it sound like there's life support, or that something will kill your kerbal just getting space... aside from overheating, its not going to space that kills the kerbal, its failing to make orbit and hitting the ground that kills them] It's okay, because you get multiple goes and there are lots of willing Kerbals.

Once up in orbit, you need to take account of gravity[you always need to take account of gravity, in orbit most taking account of gravity is indirect, through orbital parameters and dV- gravity is more of a consideration for me when going to/leaving orbit... its why an ion drive is fine for a minmus lander but not for a Mun lander], other obstacles[like what, its is very very very rare to hit another object in LKO... and you have to put it there first] and your craft's speed [not really, again, indirect] if you want to get any of your lovable Kerbals back to their planet safely - or even worse if you want to land them on the Mun."

He obviously hasn't played this game

1 hour ago, mrclucks said:

So the ad right below KSP says that it's 39.99$??!!

Is this true? I got the game for 20$ and even though that was in .90 I don't think the price has doubled in a year and a half

I think that the 'list price' is 39.99, but then it's up to the distributors to decide on actual price and campaigns

(When I read the article one rep listed it at 29.99 for instance).

2 hours ago, mrclucks said:

So the ad right below KSP says that it's 39.99$??!!

Is this true? I got the game for 20$ and even though that was in .90 I don't think the price has doubled in a year and a half

It's normal for a game to increase in price after release.  In most cases it is because when you buy into early access you accept that the game is buggy and under developed so you pay a lower price for the early access and pay more for the fully developed game.  In KSP's case, that fact hasn't really changed, it's certainly better than it was in 0.1x and 0.2x, but still buggy and underdeveloped, and you still get to pay more buying it now.

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

It's normal for a game to increase in price after release.  In most cases it is because when you buy into early access you accept that the game is buggy and under developed so you pay a lower price for the early access and pay more for the fully developed game.  In KSP's case, that fact hasn't really changed, it's certainly better than it was in 0.1x and 0.2x, but still buggy and underdeveloped, and you still get to pay more buying it now.

1.0 was truly just for marketing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.