VR is it worth it?

EliasDanger

Yes, yes it is. you have to try it. it is the single most amazing experience. not the best resolution, for sure, its not perfect. but man, it takes you some place else for awhile. the immersion is just fantastic. i got the vive last friday, and i...cant...even. 

i know its outta reach for a lot of people. i know its not perfected yet. when they can stick 4 or 8k screens in those things and graphics cards exist to power them smoothly at those resolutions....its going to be insane. eventually everyone will get to experience it. even in its early beginnings though, its still worth the investment i think to get one setup if you can afford it. 

Edited by EliasDanger

Have you had a chance to compare the Vive to other manufacturers systems?

We've got a DK2 Occulus at work and it makes me feel ill after a few minutes, and I tried a Samsung Gear it felt pretty similar

Then again I get that with a few games on normal monitors, the big challenges are getting the perspective right (what does it for me on standard monitors), and eliminating lag.  

I'd say not quite yet, only due to maturity - ie: not much in the way of software support for it just now and prices are still high and I bet there are still some significant technical improvements that can be made. I'd expect that to change quite a bit over the next year though, so if you like to pay for early-adoption now is probably a good time to go for it, there is probably enough stuff you can do with it to keep you occupied until there is more.

Dying to play Alien:Isolation in VR!

Still a tad expensive for my tastes, plus I still don't have the hardware to properly power it.

I'm happy enough to hold off for a couple of years, although I would love it for my Elite:Dangerous sessions.

vrheadset.jpg

I've been waiting for VR since this was a thing, I can wait a little longer.

I think I'd find it rather antisocial. It's annoying enough when family speak to me when I have headphones on and I have to ask them to repeat it.

It's also still rather outside my budget.

6 minutes ago, cantab said:

I think I'd find it rather antisocial. It's annoying enough when family speak to me when I have headphones on and I have to ask them to repeat it.

Teach your family that they need to put on their Rift to communicate with you in-game :P

Edited by Camacha

Texas Instruments have a few DLP chips.. if the price can come down a bit.. it'll make the other VR sets look silly.

Price is the barrier at the moment... all the cheap 3/6/9 DOF sensors are available.

i was dog fighting in space in elite dangerous. i fought a walking skeleton in a dungeon with a sword and shield. i stood on a tall mountain. i landed on the moon with apollo 11. i defended a castle against a horde with a bow and arrows. VR is amazing

It certainly is worth it.  I went with the Rift and I think it was worth every penny.  I'm having a great time flying in DCS World.  Adr1ft is a pretty amazing VR experience. Apollo 11 was awesome.  I have dabbled a bit with Elite Dangerous (it looks like I could lose a lot of time with it).  It would be great if KSP would support VR sometime soon.

I had the opportunity to try both the Vive and the DevKit 2. They cant be compared easily, the Vive is a way, way better product. But its still nowhere close to a proper product, way to low resolution. Also its to expensive (you also need a 800€ GPU for it that isnt even in production yet), it will take years until this technology is ready for the mainstream...

16 hours ago, pxi said:

vrheadset.jpg

*shrug* deal with it, coming ot large scale ... *shrug* not really longer my concern ... but i hardly see the various devices whiped from the market tommorrow, same as the various range of "results" over time ... gonna be fun *shrug* ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Neuroscience

might be the difference between user/usernot

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

6 minutes ago, Elthy said:

I had the opportunity to try both the Vive and the DevKit 2. They cant be compared easily, the Vive is a way, way better product. But its still nowhere close to a proper product, way to low resolution. Also its to expensive (you also need a 800€ GPU for it that isnt even in production yet), it will take years until this technology is ready for the mainstream...

The Vive most certainly should be better than the DK2.  The DK2 never was intended as a consumer ready product. 

16 hours ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

*shrug* deal with it, coming ot large scale ... *shrug* not really longer my concern ... but i hardly see the various devices whiped from the market tommorrow, same as the various range of "results" over time ... gonna be fun *shrug* ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Neuroscience

might be the difference between user/usernot

umm...kay?

On 18/5/2016 at 0:12 AM, EliasDanger said:

i looked up that dudes post history. he talks like an AI chat bot. makes no sense.

Just had a look myself.  I'd tend to agree.

MUCH LATER EDIT:

A more thorough look into this indicates that they are most likely not a bot.

Edited by pxi

I tried an Oculus DK1 (Either DK1 or DK2) just under a year ago at an event with some friends. It's quite good, actually. If I had the money lying about, I would upgrade my PC and then buy a headset (Not sure which type though).

But, at the moment, it's only worth it if you play a lot of VR-compatible games, IMO. If you don't have a great computer, it's not worth it, judging by the information that we have. You would have to shell out a few hundred £s if your PC can be described as a prebuilt office PC with an old graphics card jammed in (like mine).

On 17.5.2016 at 2:15 PM, RizzoTheRat said:

We've got a DK2 Occulus at work and it makes me feel ill after a few minutes

The DK2 is very sickening if you don't get every little aspect of it set to your specific eye positions and so on, my buddy had special made lenses with the help of measurements by an optician and it was like day and night, he could go from minutes to hours. Don't know if other systems have same problems.

But on the general twist of the question of VR, if you are not super exited to be an early adopter, there are surely comming better products in the next year or two.

But like every recreational expense, its up to you =) Best would be to Test it somewhere or buy over amazon so you could return it.

Greetings

Ben

There's some interesting developments going on

This is taking the Google Cardboard concept a stage further and could prove to a be a decent low cost system

https://www.speckproducts.com/pocket-vr.html

Mobile phone based systems have a tendency to overheat so this approach does the work on the PC and just streams it to the phone so the phone not working as hard

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riftcat.vridge&hl=en_GB

2 hours ago, Navy2k said:

The DK2 is very sickening if you don't get every little aspect of it set to your specific eye positions and so on, my buddy had special made lenses with the help of measurements by an optician and it was like day and night, he could go from minutes to hours. Don't know if other systems have same problems.

The sickening depends on a lot of factors, several testers said that the HTC Vive is way better in that aspect.

2 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:

There's some interesting developments going on

This is taking the Google Cardboard concept a stage further and could prove to a be a decent low cost system

https://www.speckproducts.com/pocket-vr.html

Mobile phone based systems have a tendency to overheat so this approach does the work on the PC and just streams it to the phone so the phone not working as hard

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riftcat.vridge&hl=en_GB

Smartphone VR will have a realy long way to go. I tried a Gear VR, but the resolution was just way to low. At the same time it doesnt make sense to increase the resolution of smartphones even futher, since its useless in normal use and just puts stress on the battery.

Also smartphones are way, way to weak for computing VR (and will be until we find something better than silicon for microchips) and transmitting the data from a PC is not possible (ATM) due to the extreme bandwidth and low latency requirements

Thing is, right now VR for PC is still to weak. The current VR goggles have a to low resolution and still expensive PC hardware struggles to maintain high enough FPS at decent graphics...

18 hours ago, Elthy said:

and still expensive PC hardware struggles to maintain high enough FPS at decent graphics...

The new 10XX Geforce Series had special designchanges to up the VR Performance drastically, so my perception is that the image generation will not long be a problem, but the image delivery will improve year by year.

Haven't had a chance to try VR, but I imagine the dizziness will always be an issue. AFAIK, the biggest issue causing car/air (especially reading in a car) sickness is the disconnect between visual input and and balance sensory (inner ear) input. I could see this being a big problem in VR

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.