Allright lads - I'm in the midst of preparing a Laythe landing (and as a consequence been preparing a Laythe landing vehicle). With time and patience I've finally managed to create an SSTO, both capable of flying into Kerbin/Laythe's atmosphere and out.

Been tested so far on Kerbin - able to get into a circular orbit of around 70-80km it seems, with enough fuel to return to Kerbin (or reach the orbital vehicle/refueling station, depending on need).

Here's a pic or two =)

screenshot298.png

screenshot299.png

screenshot301.png

screenshot303.png

screenshot306.png

Try not to land on water - guarantees appear to be voided in that case....

screenshot310.png

Edited by Diddly Feelerino

Sweet! When i read "first SSTO", i was expecting a forest of wings with monstrous engine clusters and tanks... but you got me surprised :) very nice design! And very kerbal indeed.

From the side of efficiency, i bet you can bring that craft up by a single R.A.P.I.E.R engine - which will save you lots of weight for a probable small payload.

Keep up the good work! I hope to see more of your creations here.

Just to prove my point, here is the SSTO above with extra accoutrements (namely science equipment, solar panels, batteries and TACS supplies) landing on Laythe and returning! Take off and landing were a nightmare (with the current "ice" traction and excessively bouncy wheels) but it works, with lots of fuel to spare!

See below;

screenshot325.png

screenshot327.png

screenshot329.png

screenshot333.png

screenshot334.png

screenshot338.png

screenshot340.png

screenshot341.png

screenshot346.png

screenshot349.png

Edited by Diddly Feelerino

Great job, mate! If you could've seen my abominations, you would understand me. 

Surprisingly, it's very compact and has reasonable capabilities. I expected to see stuff like mine :).

One suggestion: if you're not very critical about the mass, use a shielded Clamp-O-Tron. Makes re-entries so much easier!

• 1 month later...

I just replicated your build, is very nice, however I don't see the point of the extremely large liquid fuel reserve on board. I just went in LKO, and after Whiplashes burned out, I still had 600 units of extra liquid fuel on board, that after adding 2 additional FL-T400 !

d6f9d1238d9c4f5093f8ff4905691dc2.png

Perhaps something like this would give it greater flexibility?

1d8452b1a3494c0cb5763c29588104c8.png

You have 1k delta-v to play with AFTER getting in a circular LKO.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.