Game became very stable with new rig!

autumnalequinox

So I just finished setting up my new PC that i lovingly crafted by screaming and cussing at it for a few weeks and repeatedly googling every tiny problem.

The cool thing is it works well and is a nice upgrade.

However, it isn't an amazing enough upgrade to really change how the game works.  Sure, the processor is a bit faster and I have a SSHD now but same GPU and memory and such.  The only difference is I started with a very clean OS.

After days of playing KSP I noticed no more sudden CTD issues.  Even in the same situations that would create them before (Staging, VAB, etc).

This makes me think there was some kind of conflict that caused them for me.  I suspect Avast anti-virus, which I no longer am using (chose something less intrusive).  However, I could be wrong.

Just some info for anyone interested.  Using KSP 1.1.2 with about 80+ mods.

Actually I use Avast and have had no crashing issues so far, beyond the odd very occasional one that I can put down to something I've done causing the game to freak out, which have always happened.  Though I run very few mods, so that may well be why I haven't seen many crashes.

That said, I think the essence of what you said may well be correct in many cases.  Conflict with either KSP or mods and some other stuff on the computer, and anti virus seems like a likely contender. 

On 5/20/2016 at 8:44 AM, ThePULSAR said:

But how about the framerate?I currently using a laptop with i7-6700HQ,GTX960M and using a SSD as KSP root files.I m having trouble with the framerate.I have B9,Scatterer,Interstellar parts,SVE installed and I m using 1.1.2 

My framerate improved slightly (I went from a 3.0 ghz phenom to a 3.5 ghz amd fx black).  But I think that had to do with an extensive cleaning of my graphics card.  My new PC has really good airflow and runs very cool (my old Dell was a compact poorly cabled mess and ran hot hot HOT).

On 5/20/2016 at 8:45 AM, pandaman said:

Actually I use Avast and have had no crashing issues so far, beyond the odd very occasional one that I can put down to something I've done causing the game to freak out, which have always happened.  Though I run very few mods, so that may well be why I haven't seen many crashes.

That said, I think the essence of what you said may well be correct in many cases.  Conflict with either KSP or mods and some other stuff on the computer, and anti virus seems like a likely contender. 

It's just a theory.  Most of my crash reports just listed a bunch of windows 7 files.  It seemed if an in-game "event" (staging, VAB deletion) coincided with a lag spike (which happened every so often) that crash happened.  Now the spikes are less frequent but even if they do time right nothing bad happens.

Honestly it could be any one of the mess of stuff I had installed on that 6 year old OS.  Avast just seemed the most likely culprit.  I do know it was a conflict of some kind occurring outside the game engine itself (blame unity 5 and windows getting along, or as you said some kind of obscure mod conflict).

30 minutes ago, ThePULSAR said:

But how about the framerate?I currently using a laptop with i7-6700HQ,GTX960M and using a SSD as KSP root files.I m having trouble with the framerate. I have B9,Scatterer,Interstellar parts,SVE installed and I m using 1.1.2 

That's because you're using a laptop, tbh.

The power and heat restraints of a laptop form factor have you running at a maximum turbo of 3.5GHz, but most likely after a while of gaming that'll drop down to 3.2-3.1 or so because it'll be getting really hot in there. Compared to a desktop which will run 4.7-4.8GHz with a decent overclock, and do 24/7 under full load. The graphics card is probably fine, although it also is slower than the desktop version.

Personally I found Scatterer to have an impact on fps and suggest you try it without, just for comparison. From your other thread I suspect you're just being too ambitious with your constructions. Keep your part count down (e.g. below 100) and your fps will improve massively :) 

KSP 1.1.2, Arma II, Shogun 2 TW, Tyto Ecology (don''t ask) all running at the same time across twin screens + virtual desktop.  GPU stable at ~70 degrees C and CPU at 60% load, 49 degrees.  Yep, this rig should be able to last a while.  KSP is 70 - 129 fps.

ETA: Oh, and all the monitoring-utilities as well of course, to see how it's coping with the 'main' jobs.

Edited by Pecan

5 minutes ago, Pecan said:

KSP 1.1.2, Arma II, Shogun 2 TW, Tyto Ecology (don''t ask) all running at the same time across twin screens + virtual desktop.  GPU stable at ~70 degrees C and CPU at 60% load, 49 degrees.  Yep, this rig should be able to last a while.  KSP is 70 - 129 fps.

ETA: Oh, and all the monitoring-utilities as well of course, to see how it's coping with the 'main' jobs.

Daaang. How much RAM does your computer have?

26 minutes ago, teag2 said:

Daaang. How much RAM does your computer have?

32GB.  I should perhaps note that the only mods I have installed on KSP at the moment are KAC and MJ.  All graphics settings are maxed on KSP and the other programs.
My old machine was 10 years old and could just-about run any one of these programs with low-to-medium settings.  I tried this test a couple of weeks ago just to see how the new machine compared.  When it wasn't even noticing KSP maxed-out (apart from memory, +5 degrees on the GPU, 2% or so CPU usage) I started running others at the same time and watching the monitors.  Gave up after 4 since I can't really think of any reason I'll want that many heavyweights running at the same time ^^.  It's hardly a benchmark test, since I don't have enough fingers to actually DO anything in the programs all at once!  Haven't seen KSP below 40fps at all though.

On 5/20/2016 at 2:48 PM, Stewcumber said:

A clean install of your OS will work wonders for many problems! I am one of those weird people that do a clean OS install every 6 months or year...

I think I may become one of those people too.  It feels so good.  Like putting on a clean pair of undies after taking a shower good. :)

On 5/20/2016 at 2:25 PM, Pecan said:

32GB.  I should perhaps note that the only mods I have installed on KSP at the moment are KAC and MJ.  All graphics settings are maxed on KSP and the other programs.
My old machine was 10 years old and could just-about run any one of these programs with low-to-medium settings.  I tried this test a couple of weeks ago just to see how the new machine compared.  When it wasn't even noticing KSP maxed-out (apart from memory, +5 degrees on the GPU, 2% or so CPU usage) I started running others at the same time and watching the monitors.  Gave up after 4 since I can't really think of any reason I'll want that many heavyweights running at the same time ^^.  It's hardly a benchmark test, since I don't have enough fingers to actually DO anything in the programs all at once!  Haven't seen KSP below 40fps at all though.

It's like having a small arcade in your own home.  Love it.

22 hours ago, Stewcumber said:

A clean install of your OS will work wonders for many problems! I am one of those weird people that do a clean OS install every 6 months or year...

This probably makes all the difference.  I certainly used to do that with Win 7 and I have Ubuntu dual-booting now for when Win 10 gets too awful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.