MechJeb as an accessibility mod.

Hello,

In a thread I made on the KSP Reddit, I was questioned about my use of Mechanical Jeb, usually abbreviated as MechJeb, and found that I had something interesting to add to the discussions surrounding the use of this mod that was previously unknown, or not well known.

In short, MechJeb is the only reason that I am able to play KSP in any non-trivial capacity because KSP is mechanically very reliant on many, many clicks and button presses in a short time span, many of them are repetitive. 
Players with RSI, or Repetitive Stress Injury, or even players at risk of developing the condition would cause them selves either pain or irreparable chronic pain without this mod.

How many times have you repeatedly tapped the w,a,s and/or d during a launch to slightly adjust the rotation of your craft?
How many times have you made small, repeated adjustments to a maneuver node, back and forth until it is just how you want it?
How many times have you adjusted your zoom, readjusted, zoomed back in, clicked on something else to focus on and then repeated the process?

Maybe I only notice the frequency of these actions because I have the condition which is aggravated by them, and the type of personality that enjoys perfection and obsession, but I believe that there are others like me.

I am not playing KSP enough for it to cause my RSI, but with it already aggravated from my work - ksp would be literally, medically unplayable for me without something to automate the creation of maneuver nodes, opening of solar panels, and other tasks that MechJeb does not solve, but other mods do. (The collection of science.)

I'd love to hear what others have to say.

Yep, I have nerve damage which makes holding keys down/rapid taps very painful quite quickly, so I use SmartASS and Pilot Assistant ( not MJ - you may want to check it out ) constantly. I'd use the launch a/p even if I was perfectly healthy, but that's another discussion :) I don't generally use the other automation much because I can do it via smartASS - docking for instance can be done with it and just the translation controls, and landing with surf mode/occasional clicks and the Translatron.

I'm OK with a mouse thankfully, provided I don't overuse the thumb button at least - you folks who are struggling that badly have all my sympathy.

Edited by Van Disaster

Honestly, I use MechJeb because I'm lazy. :D I understand the value of it or folks who have difficulty doing the fingertip ballet on the keyboard to make KSP work, but for me it just comes down to not being bothered to manually do things. I mean, I still do from time to time, and there's nothing that I ask MJ to handle for me that I couldn't do myself if Sarbian decided to just hang it up. The other reason is because I know some people really dislike it, and it's fun watching them get all apoplectic when I mention my MJ use in their Twitch streams. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.