QnA someone with experience!

ZooNamedGames

• 2 weeks later...

I built a very light probe lander, the Caduceushttps://kerbalx.com/DaMachinator/Caduceus

While I was designing it, I noticed something interesting:

Below a certain probe weight, the Ant engine gives the probe more Delta-V than the Spark engine, despite its' lower ISP

Does this have anything to do with the Spark also weighing considerably more than the Ant?

2 hours ago, DaMachinator said:

I built a very light probe lander, the Caduceushttps://kerbalx.com/DaMachinator/Caduceus

While I was designing it, I noticed something interesting:

Below a certain probe weight, the Ant engine gives the probe more Delta-V than the Spark engine, despite its' lower ISP

Does this have anything to do with the Spark also weighing considerably more than the Ant?

Wow! :D Someone finally posted here, and I just checked out of the blue!

As to your question, the Ant engine is a very specific use engine. With lower weights, it can get more use from the fuel it burns, however over a certain weight your gain in DV for every fuel tank is less. Once you cross the efficiency threshold, you'll need more power which is why the Spark is better for greater weight payloads.

In fact, in my opinion, the Spark is a heavily underestimated engine. People praise the LV-909 Terrier engine for it's efficiency, being lightweight and power, but the Spark engine is the same, but smaller and *slightly* weaker. I use it with 2.5m small payloads myself and it gives decent DV considering.

Hope this answers your question! If not, then I'll try better :) .

The Caduceus uses an LV-909 for the transfer stage and a Spark for the lander, which also does some of the insertion burn. The Spark has a slightly lower ISP than the LV-909 (230 or 240 vs. 245 IIRC)

And yes, that makes sense.

Edited by DaMachinator

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Andersenman said:

Huh? What's an efficiency threshold?

Well there's a point where your gain from more fuel with an engine becomes rapidly less and this "threshold" is where the additional weight is not worth the minute amounts of DV it provides.

Just now, Andersenman said:

Works for ion thrusters, so I don't see what you mean. Sure, the burntimes become impractical, but isp doesn't change.

The ISP doesn't change, but the gain from additional fuels will drop off. Add 20 xenon tanks and you'll see the gain from the 21st to the 22nd tank is much smaller and will continue to grow smaller due to the additional weight of dry tanks and the additional fuel.

2 hours ago, wumpus said:

I think on the "things I hate about KSP" thread, players were *still* complaining about hitting the launch tower on the way up, long after it was gone.

I say they should've kept it, but have it tilted back like the vertical lifter used for the Titan rockets.

LC-19_21_GT-5_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, JT531 said:

How do I jool?

Well first off, make sure your vessel has about 3km/s of delta V (or in lay mans terms, decent amount of fuel). 

Then launch with a 25° angle and continue to burn until you escape orbit (no need to go to orbit). Once you have broken free of Kerbin (typically about 2.6km/s-2.9km/s).

Then burn at your periapsis around the sun until you get an encounter. This isn't an efficient method, but it's effective to getting that first encounter. 

Once you've got one, then warp to to enter it. Then reach your Jool periapsis and burn retrograde until you've been captured! Then your in Jool orbit! As to the specifics of where you want to go that's a different discussion; one I can do but not in this response.

lemme hit you with another one...

What is the mass of a neutron star the size of a pear if it were teleported to the middle of the sea floor on earth, while the earth was at its aphelion during a solar eclipse?

5 hours ago, JT531 said:

lemme hit you with another one...

What is the mass of a neutron star the size of a pear if it were teleported to the middle of the sea floor on earth, while the earth was at its aphelion during a solar eclipse?

Well that would go under the no unreasonable questions :P .

On 7/24/2016 at 8:14 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

Well that would go under the no unreasonable questions :P .

Exactly! I just provided you with an example! Now you can use it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.