• KSP Version 1.1.3 x64
    • Build ID 012892016.06.21
    • Not using Steam
  • System Specs:
    • Windows 7 64-bit
    • 16gb RAM
    • i5-4590
    • GTX 960

I am experiencing frequent crashes to the desktop on an un-modded installation.  Sometimes the game will generate a crash folder but most of the time it won't, simply displaying a "KSP_x64.exe has stopped working" error message.  These crashes seem to be random, sometimes I can play for upwards of half an hour without crashing, other times it'll crash a few seconds after loading up KSC for the first time.

The most recent crash folder is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7P5dhGg6O4UWNvc05uQ09uVkU

Output Log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7P5dhGg6O4dWx3ZGFwWXAyU2s

DxDiag System Specifications: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7P5dhGg6O4N2I4ZHJCYVF1M1U

I had been experiencing these crashes in 1.1.2 as well, and hoped they would be fixed in 1.1.3.  Apparently they haven't been.

*Edit* Another crash folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7P5dhGg6O4Ni12OXVVZTN2ZFE

Edited by tsaven

I noticed that the output_log.txt file mentions this:

Platform assembly: C:\KSP_win\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\KSP_win\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\KSP_win\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)

And then it repeats this:

The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!

(Filename:  Line: 1649)

I am not sure what it's referencing. It says what line but it doesn't make it clear what file. My guesses were either it's referencing System.Xml.dll, listed above, or that it's referencing itself.

Line 1648-1650 are as follows:

Load(Texture): Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineSSME/SSME_GLOW

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

So I would like to see two more files:

1.) C:\KSP_win\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll

2.) C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp

If you could please upload a copy of these!

This is the same crash that was common in 1.1.2.  Squad did a lot to mitigate it in the 1.1.3 update, but the underlying cause will not be fixed until 1.2's Unity upgrade.

It's fairly easy to get rid of though, you just have to change KSP's memory footprint a bit.  The easiest way to do that is to switch the graphics mode to Direct 3D 11, by running KSP with the -force-d3d11 option.  That will probably get rid of this crash.

1 hour ago, thereaverofdarkness2 said:

So I would like to see two more files:

1.) C:\KSP_win\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll

2.) C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp

If you could please upload a copy of these!

Thank you for the help.  Here's the system.xml.dll: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx7P5dhGg6O4OVgxR1oyNXR3b0U

However, I don't have a "buildslave" directory anywhere in the root of my C: drive, even when turning on both "Show Hidden Files" as well as "Show protected OS files".  Is there any other location that file could be?

19 minutes ago, blowfish said:

This is the same crash that was common in 1.1.2.  Squad did a lot to mitigate it in the 1.1.3 update, but the underlying cause will not be fixed until 1.2's Unity upgrade.

It's fairly easy to get rid of though, you just have to change KSP's memory footprint a bit.  The easiest way to do that is to switch the graphics mode to Direct 3D 11, by running KSP with the -force-d3d11 option.  That will probably get rid of this crash.

Is this purely an issue of memory usage?  The biggest selling point for me (and many experienced players, I think) for 1.1 was the ability to run 64-bit and not having to deal with crashing from memory limits.  Am I still going to be limited in usage of mods now?

18 minutes ago, tsaven said:

However, I don't have a "buildslave" directory anywhere in the root of my C: drive, even when turning on both "Show Hidden Files" as well as "Show protected OS files".  Is there any other location that file could be?

It specified exactly where it intends to find the file. I've heard a rumor that Windows 7 won't show all files even when it's set to show hidden files, but it could also be a temporary file made when the game is running. I think it's out of my league at this point, but from what blowfish said, it sounds like Squad may be already working on the issue.

As far as it being about memory allocation, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's due to the game not being able to access memory. It might be accessing the memory in the wrong way. KSP just migrated to 64 bit very recently, there are still going to be lots of bugs to work out. If necessary, you might try going back to 32 bit for a while, but this will probably get fixed eventually.

24 minutes ago, tsaven said:

Is this purely an issue of memory usage?  The biggest selling point for me (and many experienced players, I think) for 1.1 was the ability to run 64-bit and not having to deal with crashing from memory limits.  Am I still going to be limited in usage of mods now?

It's not memory usage per se - increasing memory usage is as likely to fix the problem as decreasing memory usage.  I don't fully understand the problem (other than the fact that it has to do with memory corruption in Unity), but this solution has worked multiple times for me, and for others as well.

At first glance, it looked like your install was stock, but if you're going to be using mods, installing some mods might also fix the issue.  The point is to change KSP's memory footprint, as to how that is done there are a number of options.

9 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Hi @tsaven, can you try disabling Nvidia 3D Vision please, I have heard of it causing instability with KSP.

Per your suggestion I made sure to disable it, and it didn't help.  What I did get though was a nice Blue Screen Of Death and a full crash to system reboot.  Not sure if that was directly a cause of the turning off 3D vision though, I've gotten it a couple times before in 1.1.2.

9 hours ago, blowfish said:

It's not memory usage per se - increasing memory usage is as likely to fix the problem as decreasing memory usage.  I don't fully understand the problem (other than the fact that it has to do with memory corruption in Unity), but this solution has worked multiple times for me, and for others as well.

At first glance, it looked like your install was stock, but if you're going to be using mods, installing some mods might also fix the issue.  The point is to change KSP's memory footprint, as to how that is done there are a number of options.

Changing the memory footprint to be larger with mods doesn't seem to have helped; my intention is actually to play heavily modded and that was how I started.  But with these crashes I've been slowly uninstalling all the mods trying to figure out the culprit, until finally I said to hell with it and spun up this completely stock game to rule out KSP itself as the source of the problem.  And it seems that it wasn't the mods fault at all, KSP even bone stock is broken.

The D3D trick doesn't seem to have helped either; still got a crash to the desktop and no crash folder.  And just for fun I tried that D3D with my modded game, and it doesn't even load the Squad splash screen before; I assume a conflict with the various visual mods (Scatterer and SVE) causes that.

This is incredibly frustrating that the game won't even run in Stock form without hard crashes.  Are there any other logs that Squad staff need to try and figure out why this is happening?

9 hours ago, thereaverofdarkness2 said:

It specified exactly where it intends to find the file. I've heard a rumor that Windows 7 won't show all files even when it's set to show hidden files, but it could also be a temporary file made when the game is running. I think it's out of my league at this point, but from what blowfish said, it sounds like Squad may be already working on the issue.

As far as it being about memory allocation, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's due to the game not being able to access memory. It might be accessing the memory in the wrong way. KSP just migrated to 64 bit very recently, there are still going to be lots of bugs to work out. If necessary, you might try going back to 32 bit for a while, but this will probably get fixed eventually.

Well what strikes me as most odd is that it's not even a valid file path; Windows uses backslashes for all paths, front slashes are used for URLs.

Unfortunately going back to 32bit probably won't work, as I intend to play modded and there's no way that'll fly with 32-bit.

Edited by tsaven

1 hour ago, tsaven said:

Unfortunately going back to 32bit probably won't work, as I intend to play modded and there's no way that'll fly with 32-bit.

It can work, with some restraint. Don't use too many parts mods, get the mod that streamlines textures, and load them all at 1/8th resolution via the mod, not via KSP's texture resolution setting.

1 hour ago, tsaven said:

Changing the memory footprint to be larger with mods doesn't seem to have helped; my intention is actually to play heavily modded and that was how I started.  But with these crashes I've been slowly uninstalling all the mods trying to figure out the culprit, until finally I said to hell with it and spun up this completely stock game to rule out KSP itself as the source of the problem.  And it seems that it wasn't the mods fault at all, KSP even bone stock is broken.

The D3D trick doesn't seem to have helped either; still got a crash to the desktop and no crash folder.  And just for fun I tried that D3D with my modded game, and it doesn't even load the Squad splash screen before; I assume a conflict with the various visual mods (Scatterer and SVE) causes that.

Well I guess my trick has failed in your situation then - if you've gone through a lot of configurations and experienced the crash in all of them.  Maybe someone else can find a solution that works for you, if not I'm optimistic that KSP 1.2 will resolve the issue.

Forward slashes are acceptable in Windows filepaths, they are used for cross-platform compatibility as backslashes are Windows only.

Can you test KSP with the -force-glcore or -force-d3d11 command line arguments? If they work it could reveal an issue with your DirectX install.

Another to test is -force-gfx-direct to force single threaded rendering.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.