Reverting again (The problem with SRB's)

SpacedCowboy

5 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

You are the kinda person who scares the heebie jeebies outta me. How can you not use autopilot? How can you manually fly the same profile hundreds of thousands of times? How do you have saint like patience to manually babysit huge burns? You have more patience than I. Now, <runs off mid thought as impatience takes over again>

AlamoVampire,

Speaking for myself, I actually *enjoy* doing all the stuff that most people leave to MechJeb and KER.

Best,
-Slashy

The only time I would really be worried about getting the perfect amount of thrust from SRBs is when doing part test contracts VERY early in career mode where you need to hit exactly the right speed within a certain altitude range. 

9 hours ago, Draco T stand-up guy said:

I consider those to be essential features missing from vanilla. You don't design rockets by guesswork even in a game like KSP.

Uhm... I do, quite successfully usually. A little approximate math doesn't hurt tho. ^_^

26 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Uhm... I do, quite successfully usually.

Actually, you're not. You've played the game enough that you've got a sense of what works even if you're not working the maths out specifically. It's like any learned skill. To the uninitiated it may look like you're just throwing stuff together but you're actually using several hours/days/weeks of experience to get a craft that works.

About the only person who would be guessing is the person who's just opened the game for the first time and they can read the specs and do the math as well.

Adjusting SRB thrust? Ain't nobody got time for that. *ignites 12 Kickback stage*

I do fuss over Sepratrons though, reducing their fuel loads and strategically placing the minimum number (ie. 1). When I initially started using them I would use 4 on each booster to separate without tumbling them close to the rocket. This is still useful, but they stick out and I get a bit OCD over aesthetics.

I do agree it would be nice to be able to change the thrust limiter on an SRB, provided you haven't lit it yet, 'cause why not.

3 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

@GoSlash27 Just like with Spaced yall have more patience than I. As long as we all enjoy the game we are all doing it right right?

AlamoVampire,

Absolutely. But conversely if somebody's getting frustrated then odds are they're doing it wrong. :D

Best,
-Slashy

43 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

AlamoVampire,

Absolutely. But conversely if somebody's getting frustrated then odds are they're doing it wrong. :D

Best,
-Slashy

I absolutely agree with this. KSP is so open-ended, and the modding community so vibrant, that if you're frustrated it's your own fault. Play the way that makes you happy, and if that's not possible in stock, it's almost certainly possible with mods. 

One of my main problems has always been mounting SRBs onto the decoupler. When you have large (10-15 meter) diameter first stages in RSS, it can sometimes be hard to place the SRB spot onto the decoupler-otherwise, It sticks to the rocket and doesn't seperate. Usually takes me 3-5 tries to get it right.

54 minutes ago, GiantTank said:

One of my main problems has always been mounting SRBs onto the decoupler. When you have large (10-15 meter) diameter first stages in RSS, it can sometimes be hard to place the SRB spot onto the decoupler-otherwise, It sticks to the rocket and doesn't seperate. Usually takes me 3-5 tries to get it right.

Yet another reason to use KER- you get a readout in the VAB showing what your part is attaching to :)

9 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Yet another reason to use KER- you get a readout in the VAB showing what your part is attaching to :)

Interesting, I always thought KER was Mechjeb without the autopilot. Ill check it out tommorow, sounds awesome!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.