How much force can the Advanced Grabbing Unit take?

I'm sending an asteroid tug with more thrust than usual out to Dres, so I can send an E Class asteroid out to Jool where it where serve as the nucleus of a new space station. The thug is driven by 8 Aerospike engines (chosen for their efficiency), producing about 1.4 MEGANEWTONS of thrust. Can the Klaw take that?

As far as I know, it can. But remember two things! 1. Class E can be in the 441 ton range, be sure that you have a lot of fuel. Second, all the thrust you have will make you spin if you aren't doing all of that center of mass stuff.

1 hour ago, W. Kerman said:

As far as I know, it can. But remember two things! 1. Class E can be in the 441 ton range, be sure that you have a lot of fuel. Second, all the thrust you have will make you spin if you aren't doing all of that center of mass stuff.

The tug is built on one of the max size white tanks and four orange tanks. Enough for a 10 minute burn, 5330 m/s Delta-V without any cargo. That ought to be enough. It also has a high efficiency mining and refining rig build into the Klaw module. Once the asteroid is in position, probably a low polar orbit of Jool, the Klaw module will serve as the foundation of the space station.

The tug is a tractor, not a pusher. Stability won't be much of a problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.