Kubik industries project (Update 07/28/12)

Emilio

So, I just started modelling a cargo ship.

vaisseaucargo.png

Here\'s my problems :

1. How to texture the model ? I tried to use 'Smart UV Project', but nothing appears.

2. How do I create the collider ? I found the 'bounding box' tool, but when I open it in edit mode, i have this :

boundingbox1.png

And in object mode :

boundingbox2.png

3. How to set up the nodes ?

4. How to split the model to the different pieces ?

For those who want more info on the ship itself :

There are 9 modelled parts.

Progress :

Green = Done

Yellow = Working on it

Red = Not done

Nosecone SAS Model Texture CFG

Command pod Model Texture CFG

RCS Tank Model Texture CFG

Central fuel tank Model Texture CFG

Lateral fuel tanks (2) Model Texture CFG

Central engine Model Texture CFG

Lateral engines (2) Model Texture CFG

Front landing gear Model Texture CFG

Side landing gear (2) Model Texture CFG

RCS blocks (4) Model Texture CFG

The gear will probably not be retractable

I\'m thinking of making only 1 fuel tank part

Also, maybe the rcs blocks will be the stock ones.

UPDATE 07/28 :

Landing gear modelled :

landinggear2.png

landinggear1.png

I\'m open to any ideas or suggestions, but remeber i\'m a noob in modelling so don\'t ask too hard things :)

1. To see the UV map, set the bottom view to 'UV/Image Editor'. You can do this by clicking on the bottom leftmost button and selecting it from the menu. The UVmap is what your model looks like when it\'s unwrapped. It\'s used to paint the textures on the model. But you might want to do the UV mapping yourself using seams tutorial

2. The collider is a different object from your main model. it should be a simple representation of your main model because it\'s used to calculate.. well, collisions. But also where you can surface attach parts. To make a new object, make sure you\'re in object mode. Then Add > Mesh > Pick one from these that will be the best base for it. Name the object node_collider. Also assign a uv-map and material to the node_collider (smart uv project is enough).

3. The nodes are setup in the part.cfg file, you can use coordinates from blender for this. But remember that Y and Z are reversed.

4. To cut the model up, i suggest using rip. Select all the edges you want to cut to separate parts and press V. to make a new object out of it, select a vertex, edge or face in the disconnected part, press Control+L (Select linked), press P and select 'Selection'

Good luck ;)

Thanks !

But I still have a problem with the nodes : Where do i find the coordinates ?

Anyway, I started modelling the landing gear,will post picture as soon as I can.

I\'m also thinking about an in-atmosphere control other than RCS since I don\'t like engine gimbal. Maybe some winglets ?

If you hit 'n' in the 3D window, it toggles properties panel on the right. It gives you location, rotation, and scale; you can edit the values too. I assume this is what your looking for, either way it\'d be a good idea to head to the blender wiki/forum, great tutorials and blender-specific help (also look for other keyboard shortcuts; they help a lot, especially on complex models). Here is a good Blender crash course:http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

Don\'t laugh at the name, it\'s very helpful on the first days, and even long after, good to look at after Blender updates.

On yet another hand, be sure to take a look at already functional and released addons - don\'t reinvent the wheel :D. Many of them should be in .dae format, likely what you will use.

\'File -> Import -> COLLADA (.dae)\' in Blender.

Great to see more modelers out there; good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.