How did you realize the Nerv-Whiplash tandem configuration?

Hi all,

I've conceived a medium SSTO this morning based on an aircraft I really like, it is absolutely inefficient but should be able to reach a 200x200 km orbit. It's only about the look.

My main problem is due to personnal choice, appearance and aerodynamic reasons I tried to place 4 Whiplash and 4 Nerv in tandem but the Whiplash explode due to overheating each time. When I'm making ground test on the runway I can run the Nerv at full power with just the ramjets overheating just a bit, but when I'm reaching 15-16 km of altitude and ignitiate the Nerv all ramjets explode istantly due to overheating.

I've tried to shut down the Whiplash first, back the throttle to idle then ignitiate the Nerv and spool them up slowly but the result is still the same. I have place two large radiator on the engines section to see if it would make a difference, same result : Ka-boom!

I remember seeing some SSTO concepts here and on KerbalX where peoples succeed to built those tandem Nerv-Whiplash engines, even calling them something like "Next Generation Propulsion" or "Nuclear Turbo-ramjet" but I can't find them in the database.

Could you help me by explaining how you build them ?

I finally found the solution after many attempts. By "tandem" I mean to place one Nerv inside a Whiplash, aligned on the same axis, some kind of hybrid engine, running only on LF. I placed the Nerv too much inside the Whiplash and its exhaust was making it to explode, the trick is the total opposite. You have to put the Nerv's nozzle outside the Whiplash (whose exhaust will strangely not make explode the Nuke..).

I don't have any picture of the craft as it's, again, a failure. What is working on the paper will not always works in practice... But I've find two others craft on KerbalX which are using this concept too.

The KSA PlasmaBird LNTS by KSpaceAcademy :

7QGBrEM.jpg

And the Crew Trasporter by quitessa :

B2VedSa.png

Not gonna say it can't be done, but it's going to be very difficult to get to orbit on those two sets of engines.  Nukes have such lousy TWR that it's hard for them to bridge the gap to orbit.

Rapiers tend to do better at an LF only approach, since they'll get you faster and higher on jet mode, but even then it's a challenge.  But you might want to practice your technique with Rapiers before trying it with Whiplashes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.