ProtoJeb21

The Astro-Imaging Thread

Astro-Imaging Questions  

72 members have voted

  1. 1. What's Your Favorite Solar System Body to Image?



Recommended Posts

any requirements on the focal length, i mainly use a 600mm DSLR lens, i do have a 2000mm scope though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

Smaller or larger than m31?

Andromeda ca. 3.5*1,5°, m42 ca. 1.5*1.5°, together with the upper and lower stars of the sword maybe the same size as Andromeda galaxy ... +/- window cross.

10 minutes ago, Rareden said:

any requirements on the focal length, i mainly use a 600mm DSLR lens, i do have a 2000mm scope though

This might be a good opportunity to calculate your field of view from chip size and focal length ;-)

And you need a tracking mount for that thing !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Andromeda ca. 3.5*1,5°, m42 ca. 1.5*1.5°, together with the upper and lower stars of the sword maybe the same size as Andromeda galaxy ... +/- window cross.

This might be a good opportunity to calculate your field of view from chip size and focal length ;-)

And you need a tracking mount for that thing !

i do, i have a AVX and guider with scope
FOV at 600 should be 3.4 horizontal, 2.3vertical

Edited by Rareden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting to 30 degrees Fahrenheit (-2 degrees Celsius). Going to be putting on everything I own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

Getting to 30 degrees Fahrenheit (-2 degrees Celsius). Going to be putting on everything I own.

neeeeeehh you'll live, been out in -16 doing astro, camera did not like it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rareden said:

neeeeeehh you'll live, been out in -16 doing astro, camera did not like it

Fahrenheit?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, munlander1 said:

Anyone know good way to keep water above freezing? 

Move it to Florida?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

M42 looking great.

seeing how long of an exposure I can get away with

Overexposing the area around trapezium.

iso 200

exopusure 60 seconds. Can't go higher without tracking errors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

M42 looking great.

seeing how long of an exposure I can get away with

Overexposing the area around trapezium.

iso 200

exopusure 60 seconds. Can't go higher without tracking errors. 

whats your focal length?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, munlander1 said:

1000mm focal length 

254mm aperture 

hmm, your alignment may be slightly off, should be able to get more than 1min 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Rareden said:

hmm, your alignment may be slightly off, should be able to get more than 1min 

Going out again. Will try to do a more precise alignment and try again.

Does ISO really matter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

Going out again. Will try to do a more precise alignment and try again.

Does ISO really matter?

Iso matters greatly, its the sensors sensitivity to light, the higher the iso the more sensitive it will be to faint light, BUT it will also become more sensitive to the electrical noise and temperature of the sensors pixels which will cause it to produce "Fake signal" which is noise, makes your image look grainy with red blue and green spots. 
There is a fine balance with iso, depending on what camera you have, typically iso 800 is a good spot, good cameras designed for low light you can do 1600-3000

Edited by Rareden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting to image. i expect about 2  hours total tonight. plan on going out tomorrow and saturday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

Starting to image. i expect about 2  hours total tonight. plan on going out tomorrow and saturday. 

siiigh, wish the weather was that good here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rareden said:

siiigh, wish the weather was that good here.

0 degrees here with clear sky's.

 

i wish you clear sky's:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

0 degrees here with clear sky's.

 

i wish you clear sky's:)

theres a good reason newzealands called the land of the long white cloud...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a pretty great night. Plan on going out tomorrow night 

Edited by munlander1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23.11.2017 at 3:34 AM, Rareden said:

neeeeeehh you'll live, been out in -16 doing astro, camera did not like it

What problem did you have? I've seen batteries last for a lot less in arctic weather, and had a laptop crash unless heated, but all of my cameras have worked without a hiccup down to around -30 celsius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kurja said:

What problem did you have? I've seen batteries last for a lot less in arctic weather, and had a laptop crash unless heated, but all of my cameras have worked without a hiccup down to around -30 celsius.

for some reason, nothing saved to the card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.