USI-LS Synergy Help

Suedocode

I am reading about RoverDude's life support mod with the advanced stuff added. I was crunching some numbers on how to support 100 tourist Kerbals, and it ended up being pretty nasty with requiring a huge overhead of working kerbals in Aeroponics and Agriculture modules. And then I found this synergy chart:

Primary Part Efficiency Part Boost
MK-III Mobile Refinery MK-V Smelter +100%
MK-III Mobile Refinery MK-V Sifter +100%
MK-III Mobile Refinery OKS Workspace +100%
MK-III Fabricator MK-V Workshop +100%
MK-III Fabricator OKS Workspace +100%
MK-III Sifter MK-V Smelter +100%
MK-III Sifter MK-V Sifter +100%
MK-III Sifter MK-V Crusher +100%
MK-III Sifter OKS Workspace +100%
OKS Aeroponics OKS Agriculture +500%
OKS Aeroponics Nom-O-Matic 25000 +400%
MKS Aeroponics MK-V Agriculture +200%
MKS Aeroponics Nom-O-Matic 25000 +400%

So if I want to support 100 non-working Kerbals as efficiently as possible (in terms of fertilizer consumption, keeping in mind that working kerbals also consume additional supplies), and OKS Agriculture supports 6 kerbals(?), will one Aeroponics and one Agriculture support 6*5=30 kerbals (28 non-working)? Of course, the recycling rate is only 11.7% per kerbal on average (unless the boost also applies to the recycling value?). Is there anywhere that shows what the most efficient set up is, or do I need to crunch the numbers myself? I'm happy to hear any guidance beyond the basic stuff of what a large-scale Kolony's infrastructure should be composed of.

Edited by Suedocode
math edits

2 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Prolly have to crunch the numbers.  But unless you aren't planning on upgrading when 1.2 comes out I'd hold off.  Major updates to all of the USI mods with rebalancing and stuff.

I'm designing my stuff in pre 1.2 so that I have all of my blueprints ready for 1.2. I'm trying to plan out my tourism space station, but I don't know what all I need to fit on it until I figure out how much life support stuff it needs.

Just now, Suedocode said:

I'm designing my stuff in pre 1.2 so that I have all of my blueprints ready for 1.2. I'm trying to plan out my tourism space station, but I don't know what all I need to fit on it until I figure out how much life support stuff it needs.

Right,

As far as I know Roverdude hasn't released any balance details yet for the 1.2 mods.  whatever data you are working with from your OP is possibly changing.

Presumably he wouldn't change what the numbers mean though, even if he does tweak the numbers themselves. I just want to make sure I'm understanding this synergy stuff. It's not quite clear to me if the boost applies to the "Efficiency Part", to the "Primary Part", or to both. Seeing the term "synergy" makes me think it's both, but I'm not so sure. For instance, getting 50% recycling bonuses for 100 kerbals would require 20 Aeroponics modules and 20 crew members operating them. Does an Aeroponics/Agriculture combo give 6*5=30 supplies AND 5*5=25 recycling kerbal bonuses (500% OKS boost), or is it just the first one?

Edited by Suedocode

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Actually.. even that changed a bit.  Efficiency got simplified, and the flat 100% bonus is gone (it is now based on relative mass).

Ahh, I will have to wait for 1.2 and the info websites to be updated after all. I appreciate all the hard work; 1.2 is looking phenomenal!

• 2 weeks later...

Update after 1.2:

You mentioned that the mechanics of the synergy stuff has changed, however the wiki page still hasn't changed its descriptions. Are they still out of date?

It sounded like you were going to change the percentages, but perhaps not the mechanic itself. If that is true, my questions from before are still unclear to me:

1. Do the percentage boosts apply to both parts, or just one? 
    1. If just one, then which?
    2. If applicable, how they apply to the recycling bonuses of Aeroponics? is it x4 more Kerbals affected? Cause that'd be supremely awesome since large Kerbal populations would have such huge staff overhead for support.
  2. Am I mathing correctly when I determine that these boosts determine the optimal ratios of parts? For instance, you should have 4 Nom-O-Matic 25000 to every MKS/OKS Aeroponics for optimal output.
Edited by Suedocode
added link to wiki

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.