Gravity Assist from Kerbin to Duna to Dres

Yes. You are right.

Ok so the problem here is that in KSP, the planets are much smaller than IRL. If you wanted to lets say... re-create Juno where you have the spacecraft go around the Sun and encounter Earth again to boost yourself to Jool, it wouldn't work. There is not enough gravity to get you that far. Therefore if you want to use Duna which is scaled down massively, you're going to have to maybe do one or two or just get it right. I haven't attempted it myself so I don't really know.

The next problem you're going to have, is aligning the planets. First you have to get a Duna encounter. Easy enough. Then Dres has to be in a Duna>Dres window to actually get close to a Dres encounter. What I'm saying is you're either going to have to timewarp before the mission to align the planets which could take decades or centuries in game or just go around the solar system until you get the encounter OR get a mod that does the calculations for you. Doing this is going to be quite hard.

But good luck!

Fire

Edit: Oh yeah plus there isn't a Vesta analog so you can't re-create it entirely.

Edited by Firemetal

17 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

Yes. You are right.

Ok so the problem here is that in KSP, the planets are much smaller than IRL. If you wanted to lets say... re-create Juno where you have the spacecraft go around the Sun and encounter Earth again to boost yourself to Jool, it wouldn't work. There is not enough gravity to get you that far. Therefore if you want to use Duna which is scaled down massively, you're going to have to maybe do one or two or just get it right. I haven't attempted it myself so I don't really know.

The next problem you're going to have, is aligning the planets. First you have to get a Duna encounter. Easy enough. Then Dres has to be in a Duna>Dres window to actually get close to a Dres encounter. What I'm saying is you're either going to have to timewarp before the mission to align the planets which could take decades or centuries in game or just go around the solar system until you get the encounter OR get a mod that does the calculations for you. Doing this is going to be quite hard.

But good luck!

Fire

Edit: Oh yeah plus there isn't a Vesta analog so you can't re-create it entirely.

I've got an encounter with dres & Duna gravity assist was successful

photos will be up soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.