Overpresure Girder Segment?

My guess would be that it's because "destroyed from too much pressure" is a fairly new feature in KSP, and Squad didn't invest a huge amount of time trying to tweak individual part settings for whatever "makes the most logical sense", but instead took a fairly broad one-size-fits-all approach to handing out all the values.  I think that basically, they just assigned a default value that gets applied to all parts, and haven't taken the time to go and tweak it for individual parts.

If it bothers you, you can always report a bug.

And, while you're hoping / waiting for a fix from Squad, it's also fairly trivial to add a snippet of ModuleManager config to tweak the value to something that makes more sense to you.  Am not in front of my KSP computer, so can't test this at the moment, but I imagine something like this would work:

// repeat this for whichever parts you want to tinker with
@PART[structuralIBeam2]
{
    // or whatever big number you like
    %maxPressure = 10000000000
}

ModuleManager config also allows using wildcard syntax in things like part names, so it's also possible to play games with config such as, "make all parts have really high pressure tolerance, then go and give specific ones a lower tolerance" or what-have-you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.