Question about drilling and converting

Hi

It looks like Ore Converter does not need to be in contact with Ore tank to convert Ore to whatever fuel. can someone confirm this? It must be in contact just with a fuel tank. is it right?

And about drilling, do i have to put the drilling unit in contact with the Ore tank or not?

Thank you

Build a craft the way you think it should work.
Launch it to the runway or launchpad.
Deploy the drill and activate the convertor.
Does it work? Then you have your answer. Does is not work? You still have your answer.
Revert flight and move some pieces around and try again.

Now you know what does and does not work.

Edited by Tex_NL

Exactly what i did and it works.

But I  saw that converter was converting ore to fuel in tanks connected to it and in tanks no connected....So it does not seem very logical....

That's why i ask those questions. 

I also  set the drillers in contact of ore tank and someone told me to set this tank in a place where i can't set the driller in contact with the tank....

I did the most logical drilling and converting architecture and it works,  but it looks like it does not need to be logical to work!!

No coupler. it's a small ship with no coupler at all.

2 converters each side of the ship and 2 small radial tanks set in contact to each converter.

1 converter running and all tanks are converting ore to fuel, so it looks like there one converter not necessary......

but the question is: if i set the radial ore tank in contact with a fuel tank and not in contact with a converter, will conversion works ?

if everything is working right and you don't have any crossfeed limitations (decouplers, heatshields) then the different resource parts can be placed anywhere on the ship and don't have to be adjacent.

here's my current mining rig - you'll see that the ISRU is separated from the ore tank by a half dozen parts.

4C5fgLM.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.