[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

6 minutes ago, PixelStory2 said:

Astrogator makes delta-v estimates in-game if you get the mod. That requires ckan though so I can look tommorow if you need me too.

I'm already using astrogator. Problem is, I can't plan the landing/takeoff for a planet in advance with it - only the transfer burn. I need to know how much deltaV it takes to launch from the various planets, and as far as I know the only way to figure that out is to hyperedit specific craft to a given celestial in sandbox and check what it says, which is a pain. If someone's already done that beforehand I'd like to know.

Edited by wadusher1

6 minutes ago, wadusher1 said:

I'm already using astrogator. Problem is, I can't plan the landing/takeoff for a planet in advance with it - only the transfer burn. I need to know how much deltaV it takes to launch from the various planets, and as far as I know the only way to figure that out is to hyperedit specific craft to a given celestial in sandbox and check what it says, which is a pain. If someone's already done that beforehand I'd like to know.

Try looking at Niebos' stats in the tracking center and compare them to Gaia/Kerbin. That might help a little bit if you try guessing delta-v. 

3 hours ago, wadusher1 said:

So nobody's actually recorded exact deltaV figures? If so, I guess that'll have to do...

Unfortunately no. As the modder, I don't feel like I'm the one to do that at this stage in development (it requires a lot of maths as far as I know).

I just make the planets!

I'm thinking of lowering Niebos's atmosphere from 151,000 (ridiculously high) to 65000 (nearly Kerbin's) so that you can actually return from the planet.

To do this I'll just shrink The White Guardian's atmosphere keys to fit within 60000.

Edited by Gameslinx

4 hours ago, wadusher1 said:

Has anyone made an extended deltaV map that takes these planets into account? I'm planning a Neibos mission, among others, and I'd like to know how much I need to not over-engineer my craft.

You can installl kerbal enginner or mech jeb

Just now, Gameslinx said:

It's hard to get a perspective on it. Does it disappear when you get closer? And does it move as if it was inside the planet rather than on the surface?

no idea on the first question but its was folowing me,I was just doking and i looked on the surferce and found that

9 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

no idea on the first question but its was folowing me,I was just doking and i looked on the surferce and found that

In that case, it's just the arch you see inside planets. If you get to Nievis, you can see this effect too. Outside its sphere of influence, you can see the Mun arch inside of it (I don't know why, but that's a thing). This is probably what happens here. It aint an easter egg because I didn't put that there :P

All in all, it's harmless.

Edited by Gameslinx

On 29/4/2017 at 9:22 AM, Gameslinx said:

In that case, it's just the arch you see inside planets. If you get to Nievis, you can see this effect too. Outside its sphere of influence, you can see the Mun arch inside of it (I don't know why, but that's a thing). This is probably what happens here. It aint an easter egg because I didn't put that there :P

All in all, it's harmless.

ok thanks

EDIT:Saw it on nievetos too

Edited by KerbolExplorer

@wadusher1 Try this program. It'll find the best transfer windows and give you your arrival and departure ΔV. Just follow the steps to import the bodies file from KSP and it will work. Only thing it doesn't do is give you the ΔV for any landers, so you might need to overbuild them.

26 minutes ago, DragonRoco said:

@wadusher1 Try this program. It'll find the best transfer windows and give you your arrival and departure ΔV. Just follow the steps to import the bodies file from KSP and it will work. Only thing it doesn't do is give you the ΔV for any landers, so you might need to overbuild them.

I don't need transfer window deltaV I need lander deltaV. I already have Astrogator calculating transfer windows, 

2 minutes ago, wadusher1 said:

I don't need transfer window deltaV I need lander deltaV. I already have Astrogator calculating transfer windows, 

I think a good place to start might be using the "Set Orbit" cheat in the Alt+F12 menu. Get a lander of sorts in orbit and just keep redesigning until it works. I know it isn't the fastest method, but it is certainly faster than having to fly all the way out there and finding out if the ship works.

Just now, TheWanderer05 said:

I think a good place to start might be using the "Set Orbit" cheat in the Alt+F12 menu. Get a lander of sorts in orbit and just keep redesigning until it works. I know it isn't the fastest method, but it is certainly faster than having to fly all the way out there and finding out if the ship works.

I'll just use an overdesigned laythe lander if that's my best option.

9 hours ago, Wadusher0 said:

I'll just use an overdesigned laythe lander if that's my best option.

Here's a ship I designed which will land on everything in the Gaia system:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9294dy8mqzmsqfo/Gaia System.craft?dl=0

I doubt you need it for the mission you're undertaking, but for anyone else wanting to have a set ship, there ya go

44 minutes ago, Kingkwik said:

Is there a way to still have clouds on kerbin if i use this pack but remove gaia?

Yes, but it requires a lot of messing with the code.

At this point, I'm completely dropping support for non-gaia users simply because of the sheer amount of errors that crop up. Sorry.

This satellite was over-engineered but the lifter stage exploded on launch. Luckily using vector engines, it was able to get to its target location of Gaia's inner ring system:

trXlmLQ.png

Both probes have made it back to orbit of the great Gaia

uGJAQhD.png

Its predecessor, Starcatcher, has made it to Gullis 

FW96Cce.png

fYfe1m5.png

Edited by Gameslinx