Kerbal Kontructs and Kerbin Side intigration

Vote for the Integration KK and Kerbin-Side  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Integrate Kerbal Konstructs and Kerbin-Side

• All in favor say "I"
    • All who oppose say "nay"

How about in the future, Squad integrates the Kerbal Kontructs and Kerbin-Side* into KSP and make Kerbin look more like an inhabited planet, due to the reason that the space center is the only place on the planet that is inhabited.

Spoiler

*Excluding the air race core

Edited by Sgt Doomball

At the very least they should scatter some flat airstrips around like they did the deep space network dishes. heck even put them next to the dishes where possible so that landing sites are easy to find. Just follow the beam.

Edited by passinglurker

The problem with implementing actual cities like those found in Kerbinside is that they take a ridiculous amount of development time no matter how they're done, plus, if done poorly, they grind your performance to a halt. My own experience with Kerbal Konstructs is that no matter how far away I was from the cities and other additional objects, I'd always have terrible framerates, and it seemed they were always being rendered for some bizarre reason. Squad would account for this if they added something similar to the game, but they would still risk framerate issues when inside the cities, especially on weak computers.

Of course, even if they solve those problems, this is still something that could drastically increase loading times, as they would by definition add a huge amount of extremely complex models and possibly textures to the game. Not something you want on the potato computers some players use. Hence why KSP doesn't have cities.

However, Kerbal Konstructs does give multiple launch sites, which I'd be happy to have in the stock game. Just not with the performance issues that come from adding them. :)

1 hour ago, wadusher1 said:

-snip-

Yeah basically why I said to prioritize landing strips it's the practical perk to kerbinside, and I imagine if they can handle all those DSN towers they can handle some landing strips too without breaking the performance bank.

Edited by passinglurker

Airstrips and launch sites/landing pads would be enough imo. Cities would be another one of these things that serve no purpose and eat your PC alive.

Shame @bac9 is no longer in the team. He had a clear vision of what the buildings should look like.

11 hours ago, passinglurker said:

Yeah basically why I said to prioritize landing strips it's the practical perk to kerbinside, and I imagine if they can handle all those DSN towers they can handle some landing strips too without breaking the performance bank.

As long as they find a way to not render the silly things unless you're close to them - say within 20 kilometers - I'd be happy with having those be stock. In fact, that may be what they're already doing with the DSN towers.

It does not lower performance to have multiple landing sites hundreds of kilometers away from one another..., I don't understand what guy above is worried about? KSC already de-renders after something tiny like 3 km. So another space launch site 85km away would be totally irrelevant to your framerate unless you were launching from it.

I do agree that cities are not a good use of time, but multiple launch sites is a much easier and more relevant and productive use of time. 

On 07/04/2017 at 2:59 AM, passinglurker said:

At the very least they should scatter some flat airstrips around like they did the deep space network dishes. heck even put them next to the dishes where possible so that landing sites are easy to find. Just follow the beam.

I was thinking about this the other day... they really need to add a north/south facing runway at the KSP. If it could intersect with the existing one would be nice. Would be great for using any winged craft for those polar orbit missions in career!  

On 4/7/2017 at 6:25 PM, Crimeo said:

It does not lower performance to have multiple landing sites hundreds of kilometers away from one another..., I don't understand what guy above is worried about? KSC already de-renders after something tiny like 3 km. So another space launch site 85km away would be totally irrelevant to your framerate unless you were launching from it.

I do agree that cities are not a good use of time, but multiple launch sites is a much easier and more relevant and productive use of time. 

It will lower performance if they are rendered and physics is calculated on them no matter where you are. I suspect that was the case with Kerbal Konstructs, as that mod destroyed my framerate when I used it, despite me being nowhere near the structures it added most of the time. I hope the modmakers fixed that - it's quite handy to have multiple launchsites if I can keep my framerate.

Edited by wadusher1

7 hours ago, wadusher1 said:

It will lower performance if they are rendered and physics is calculated on them no matter where you are. I suspect that was the case with Kerbal Konstructs, as that mod destroyed my framerate when I used it, despite me being nowhere near the structures it added most of the time. I hope the modmakers fixed that - it's quite handy to have multiple launchsites if I can keep my framerate.

Squad has routinely proven NOT to have done that. In the vanilla game, everything despawns and stops getting rendered at about 2.5 km, including both buildings and ships. There's no reason they'd stop being aware of that all of the sudden, so it's not a realistic worry for general integration.

36 minutes ago, Crimeo said:

Squad has routinely proven NOT to have done that. In the vanilla game, everything despawns and stops getting rendered at about 2.5 km, including both buildings and ships. There's no reason they'd stop being aware of that all of the sudden, so it's not a realistic worry for general integration.

Squad may have thought of that but I have no idea if the Kerbal Konstructs devs found a way to do the same thing. I hope they have by now, given that my framerate issue was way back in 1.0.5...

But that doesn't solve any framerate issues that an individual city may have. Any city has the potential to slow your computer due to the inherent complexity of those things, which means there's a tradeoff between the size of a given city and how easily it can be rendered. Which is why I think we'd see alternate launch sites integrated in stock long before we'd see cities, if ever.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.