The Great Technicality

DeltaDizzy

THE GREAT TECHNICALITY

A STORY OF MY URGES

So, there's something about me that needs explanation. I like to finish everything I start. It's one of my many interesting traits. I wanted to do the space shuttle challenge, but my PC was broken and by the time it was fixed, the challenge as over. Now, the design you are about to see is legal under the challenge, even though it may not seem so. Here is my justification.

A "reusable" winged Orbiter which carries Kerbals to orbit and back and is capable of a horizontal landing.  The Orbiter must be lifted into space by a Launch System that decouples or un-docks once expended, allowing the Orbiter to land entirely under it's own power.

It doesn't say anything about the orbiter being radially attatched, does it?

epdBleG.png

We have Liftoff!

jJgGcbT.png

Getting some heat

fnH4Fpp.png

Kessler Syndrome

kYRHFS6.png

Orbit Insertion Burn

YoasYlM.png

We're here

eDth9YP.png

Proof

dqFThrr.png

An EVA

aoBbT3E.png

Descent Initiated

After that, well, I over shot and entered the night side, where I prompty crashed, with only the cockpit and some other bits surviving. There is no surviving footage of this event. I'm sorry.

ATTENTION! REDESIGN IN PROGRESS. SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.

Edited by DeltaDizzy

That looks good. Although the wings might be on the large side. How was reentry heating with the Mk1 cockpit?

Also, SpeedingMullet did specify that non radially attached shuttle still count. Even the MAKS counted.

Edited by qzgy

Narrow and balance the lifting/control surfaces.  Snap the fairing to the sides of the aircraft fuselage and jettison it all at 50km. You are better off reducing the vertical stabilizer and centering it so the fairing can be smaller.

You could get away with a lot less motor on the plane.  Using a spark or even a terrier could leave you with a lot more dV than a monoprop engine.  Or is that a mod engine with 320+ISP?

Balance the drag on the upper with air brakes set to act as control surfaces on the lower bottom stage.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.