Part filter By research tree (Career mode)

Hello all,

I apologize if this is has been mentioned but a search didnt reveal anything on the forums.

A possibly good idea/feature that could be added is for parts filter that sorts by selecting which research you have. This way for designing stations for Career mode while in Sandbox, you are able to plan the final station and launch segments based on tech level milestones. Allows for better expansion than just willy nilly.

It hasn't been mentioned here in a long time.

Of course that might have something to do with the fact hey already added it a long time ago.  Click the arrow button in the upper left.

Welcome to the forums btw!

Edited by Alshain

16 hours ago, Shecter said:

I guess i wasn't as specific as i meant to be. I meant select the actual tech you have available not just the tier level, since you might not have everything in the tier.

In a sandbox game you have all tech available.  The game doesn't read info between different save games, how would the sandbox game know what tech you have available on your career game?

or for that matter, how would it know which of your career games to show parts for?

Worst case fix - look up the parts on the wiki after seeing what research you have, write it down on a list, and create a subcategory in career using the advanced build mode with all the parts on that list. There, now you have a parts list of all the stuff you can use in career!

Terrible solution, but is an option...

I was more thinking that when you click the filter button, a small window could pop up containing the tech tree. In this window you can highlight/select what techs you have thus populating what parts are available to you. This makes it not dependent on reading a save file and for most people playing a career save you have a very good idea of what tech you have (admittedly an assumption).

Edit* This could also be fun for non career players as you can restrict yourself to certain parts while trying to accomplish something difficult with said parts.

On 6/11/2017 at 1:11 PM, Alshain said:

In a sandbox game you have all tech available.  The game doesn't read info between different save games, how would the sandbox game know what tech you have available on your career game?

or for that matter, how would it know which of your career games to show parts for?

Edited by Shecter
New Thought

On 15/06/2017 at 1:09 PM, Hupf said:

You can always design your craft in the career game, save it (doesn't cost funds). Then copy the .craft file to to the sandbox save and test it from there.

That isn't too useful when you are going to be doing more than just seeing "how well does this work?"

When you need to do back and forth tweaking, and possibly rebuilds of entire sections, being able to filter parts based on a selected set of tech tree nodes would be handy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.