Kerbalized SpaceX

1 hour ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Sure, ill try to remember to set that up for next release.

THE THINGS! WE'LL HAVE THE THINGS!!!

JEB! THAT'S NOT FOR YOU!!!

Oh gawd darnit....I need a bigger rocket now to go get Jeb...

I made an procedural liquid tank of a roughly equivalent size to the 7.5 meter BFR, the tank holds 65815 units of liquid fuel and 80440 units of oxidizer, this number would be even larger taking propellant densification into account. This means that the amount of propellant is far to small.  this would be a simple edit. the fuel tank starts at the end of the hollow section of hull at the aft of the ship, and ends just below the docking port.

Edited by eskimo22
Additional content

2 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

I made an procedural liquid tank of a roughly equivalent size to the 7.5 meter BFR, the tank holds 65815 units of liquid fuel and 80440 units of oxidizer, this number would be even larger taking propellant densification into account. This means that the amountof propellant is far to small.  this would be a simple edit. the fuel tank starts at the end of the hollow section of hull at the aft of the ship, and ends just below the docking port.

1 hour ago, eskimo22 said:

if you could make the amount of resources able to support 50-100 kerbals as opposed to 7 that would be great, it would be a simple config edit, just like the fuel capacity correction.

Yes, it will be coming with the IVA. I don't think its going to be 50. I think I have the current IVA set up somewhere around thirty kerbals. The problem with that is all the kerbals will need a seat. That is a significant amount of geometry. You try to make things for a game with a little geometry as possible. 

An alternative would be to include the mod that lets you see the portrait of parts without an IVA

Edited by harrisjosh2711

@eskimo22 

I read your post wrong if you seen the previous answer I wrote. Yes according to its size it should be holding more fuel.

Not quite a simple as just changing the fuel amount though. You would also need to adjust the thrust on the engines, and possibly the ISP. Add more fuel the rocket wont leave the launch pad or you will be leaving super inefficient wasting a quarter of fuel before reaching a decent TWR. I suppose the best solution would be to increase fuel and engine thrust accordingly. Thanks for pointing that out to me I will figure something out for the next release

Edited by harrisjosh2711

I have edited the ISP and thrust of the engines in my own save, they simply were not as powerful or efficient as a kerbal scale raptor engine

also, by making the amount of resources capable of supporting 50-100 kerbals i didn't mean a unique IVA for each kerbal, i was thinking food, water, oxygen, etc

50 minutes ago, eskimo22 said:

I have edited the ISP and thrust of the engines in my own save, they simply were not as powerful or efficient as a kerbal scale raptor engine

Perhaps that could be the answer to revisit the engines. I think I may have set the fuel that way for balance reasons. I'm starting to see an issue I'm not sure how to solve. Mainly being that orbital velocity in KSP  is approximately 2200 ms. You could just go to far with the BFR in stock scale, considering it is designed to operate at real scale potential(It is just capable of tugging 150 tons into LKO). If you increase fuel in the BFR pod you will need to increase thrust in the booster engines or you loose payload capability. That means you will get into orbit of kerbin with far to much fuel (making it absolute cheating). The answer would be to decouple from the booster earlier. But that is a problem. Say your booster gets you half of orbital velocity. On earth, you still need to gain around 4100 ms to get into orbit. In kerbin only 1100ms. That means the engines would need to be so horribly inefficient that you would burn atleast 45000(half-tank) units of fuel to gain 1100 ms. 

Real life just doesn't quit convert to the kerbal world. 

If you have changed the thrust and the ISP your BFR is far capable of what it is designed to be. 

Edited by harrisjosh2711

I think that you should make a kerbal scale BFR (~5m) and a Human scale (9m) BFR since there is no other mod for the BFR.

you used have two different BFRs, but i think the kerbal (5m) and Human (9m) BFR idea is better than the 3.75m and 7.5m BFRs idea since the 3.75m BFR is too small for kerbal scale, and the 7.5m BFR is too big for kerbal scale yet to small for the human (RSS) scale

Edited by eskimo22

7 minutes ago, eskimo22 said:

I think that you should make a kerbal scale BFR (~5m) and a Human scale (9m) BFR since there is no other mod for the BFR.

You are the second person to tell me that. How about we kill the 3.75 BFR and make it a 5m BFR? I plan on making a real scale BFR the moment I can play with it in RO. Until then someone else will have to do it because I'm not getting paid or playing 1.2.2. 

13 minutes ago, eskimo22 said:

I would recommend making a 5m BFR, since that is kerbal scale, and then making a real scale (9m) 

BTW, i didn't know that RO/RSS was not updated

Its really easy to do. if you set the re-scale = x  value in cfg's. .66 should be somewhere very close to 5m. Alternatively, re-scale = 1.2 should be 9m

The difficult part is balancing it.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

Newest release is now available. 

Added new dragon1 trunk and aerodynamic solar panel covers. Added four fuel tanks, an interstage decoupler, cluster of 9 merlin engines with multi-mode capability, merlin vacuum engine. You can now build the Kerbalized SpaceX falcon9 and Falcon9 FT. All Tanks include a small area at the top to store an RCS tank/battery/probe core. The upper stage tanks have built in decouplers. Added tweakscale for most things.

38385636101_5b887c7cfd_b.jpg

4 minutes ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Yea, ill do my best to remember to include configs for it next release. I switch between the two depending on my mood. I'm just using TAC-LS right now. 

Could have it setup with a REQUIRES so that regardless of which one people have (or if they don't have one at all), they don't have things that they aren't using

1 hour ago, eskimo22 said:

when is the BFR Internal ready

I understand if it is taking a while, 30 kerbals is a MASSIVE internal.

I'm not a fan of time-frame questions but I realize a lot of you want that IVA..... Trust me I feel you. I'm going to be tied up for the majority of this week with exams. I stayed up til 6am this morning to get that latest release out. But I likely wont have the time to mess with it again till this coming weekend. I would say in the next two weeks it should be ready . If you get lucky next weekend. The IVA is definitely the next thing I will finish. In fact IVA's are about all that's left for this mod after this weekends build-a-thon.

8 minutes ago, Jivaii said:

Could have it setup with a REQUIRES so that regardless of which one people have (or if they don't have one at all), they don't have things that they aren't using

Yes I need to address that. The problem right this second is they are actually in the configs for the parts. That was never intended I accidently loaded my personal configs to my GitHub. I let it slide because it doesn't work unless you re using the mod that adds the resources.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

Here is an update of what I have planned for the BFR IVA.

38407340511_d7f3dc8ddd_b.jpg

This is the crew quarters below it will be passenger cabins. I originally intended to make it so a kerbal could actually go into that area from EVA to explore but I'm worried about my vertices count. So I'm not sure yet........ The only thing textured so far is the seats.

15 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Here is an update of what I have planned for the BFR IVA.

38407340511_d7f3dc8ddd_b.jpg

This is the crew quarters below it will be passenger cabins. I originally intended to make it so a kerbal could actually go into that area from EVA to explore but I'm worried abo t my vertices count. So I'm not sure yet........ The only thing textured so far is the seats.

It would be cool if all (or some, don't mind) of the seats had a computer for things like RPM and ASET. Also, maybe you could make the hatch inside the part so any EVA Kerbals can freely roam the inside, and there would be some sort of door that you could open to actually get in/out of the ship. The hatch would probably be near the seats and probably on the pole or something.

http://www.humanmars.net/search/label/BFR%2FBFS 

if possible it would be great if you could have the kerbal's heads pointing away from the central pole, because in the current configuration the kerbals would red-out during EDL due to excess blood in the brain

see link for visual explanation of the seat configuration. (ignore the sheer amount of seats, the current amount will suffice. focus on the orientation)

a cool addition to the next release would be the Point Defense Cannon on the Rocinante from the expanse.

Edited by eskimo22

1 hour ago, Grand Ship Builder said:

It would be cool if all (or some, don't mind) of the seats had a computer for things like RPM and ASET. Also, maybe you could make the hatch inside the part so any EVA Kerbals can freely roam the inside, and there would be some sort of door that you could open to actually get in/out of the ship. The hatch would probably be near the seats and probably on the pole or something.

That is a very interesting idea...... Not sure it would work though. For instance if you have the mk2 on the launch pad and zoom into its center there is nothing inside. The IVA is an entirely separate part linked together by the configs. Now, if you designed the ship so that the IVA is actually part of the ship it could work. You could just copy the IVA into the actual ship and export it, which wouldn't be to difficult. That does raise a performance issue though. To make that work would probably require more geometry than your average computer could run without some pretty serious lag. Although maybe not, since it seems lag is caused mainly by the # of parts in KSP. When I finish the IVA I will give it a shot. It shouldn't be to difficult once the pieces are all in place.   

As to the RPM stuff- They will only be included in the command section(seats around the center pole). The rest of the seats are intended for passengers who have no business pressing any buttons operating the spaceship:D. All the passengers will have a spectacular view through the windows though. I really don't see why you would ever even need to select kerbal#22 on the ship and hence why he/she doesn't need a computer. The intention is that the first six(important kerbals) or so will have RPM stuff.

5 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

http://www.humanmars.net/search/label/BFR%2FBFS 

if possible it would be great if you could have the kerbal's heads pointing away from the central pole, because in the current configuration the kerbals would red-out during EDL due to excess blood in the brain

see link for visual explanation of the seat configuration. (ignore the sheer amount of seats, the current amount will suffice. focus on the orientation)

a cool addition to the next release would be the Point Defense Cannon on the Rocinante from the expanse.

Yeah, I can do that. I didn't take that into consideration. I'm not trying to copy that guys seat configuration though. He isn't a rocket scientist nor a spaceX employee. Awesome video but it completely discounts the way the BFR actually works. That is merely and artist conception of the seats arrangements. I don't want the seats to sit horizontally I want them to sit at an angle so the kerbals have an excellent view. In that configuration, In real life, your paying customers couldn't see out of the widows with there helmets on and would be suffering from severe neck aches from trying to look out the windows once the helmet is off, unless the seats are angled and I don't see it. But with that said, that isn't the final configuration of the IVA. I'm still undecided on a few aspects. 

2 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

I have no clue what this is but it doesn't sound like SpaceX. Maybe try one of the guys making stuff for BD armory.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

3 hours ago, Quinn Kerman said:

Will you make landing legs for the BFR 

Yes. In the mean time use KRE. I cant remember the name of them but they have a set of landing legs that work really well with the BFR. They are a bit bouncy though. I actually already made one set but it turned out a fail. I'm not sure about the BFR booster though. SpaceX doesn't intend to use landing legs with it. Plus I have about a 75% success rate landing the booster without them. I think I have a 0% success rate landing the pod upright though.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

On 11/14/2017 at 6:20 PM, harrisjosh2711 said:

I really don't see why you would ever even need to select kerbal#22 on the ship and hence why he/she doesn't need a computer. The intention is that the first six(important kerbals) or so will have RPM stuff.

What are you talking about? Stalin Kerman is extremely important to my mission consisting of a gummy-bear powered hybrid rocket to the Sun and back!

things here:

Spoiler