Windows 10, Game Mode and KSP

Foxster

First off, what is Windows 10's new Game Mode?

It is a fairly new feature of Windows 10 introduced with the Creators Update. You flag to Windows a program you are running as a game, then Windows bumps it's resource priority, de-prioritising other background processes whilst you are in the game.

To enable Game Mode for KSP you start KSP and with it in focus hit Win+G. This pops up a small panel. Hit the settings gear button and tick "Use Game Mode for this game". Then restart KSP. The setting is saved for future KSP sessions. 

I play KSP on a fairly hefty machine and I've yet to see much difference with Games Mode enabled. However, where it is supposed to shine is when you have a sub-optimal machine and/or when you have other things going on in the background sucking up machine resources. 

Anyone played with Game Mode and seeing much difference?

Edited by Foxster

3 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Thank you for your in-depth analysis.

Have you tried it with KSP and seen any differences?

We checked with my friend who has KSP with windows 10.

DX11 mode 1 fps gain

Opengl mode 2 fps gain

Normal mode fluctuating between 1-4 fps.

I have windows 7 for comparission with fairy decent rig and he got almost clone of my rig and he got with that boost mode fps range that i have on windows 7

That what me and my friend calls this mode a placebo

Edited by Syczek

1 hour ago, Syczek said:

We checked with my friend who has KSP with windows 10.

DX11 mode 1 fps gain

Opengl mode 2 fps gain

Normal mode fluctuating between 1-4 fps.

I have windows 7 for comparission with fairy decent rig and he got almost clone of my rig and he got with that boost mode fps range that i have on windows 7

That what me and my friend calls this mode a placebo

If your PC can already run KSP just fine, you will not notice a difference. Clearly it can, because "normal mode" showed no difference for you.

I've had Game Mode since January, when they released it to Insiders, at the beginning it actually made things worse. I have it on automatically (one of the recent Insider builds turned it on by default) and nowadays I don't notice a difference, but my PC is powerful, and isn't allowed to run any unneeded background processes

Edited by severedsolo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.