What are the rules of saving games?

I completed a mission, landed it, recovered it, bought some new tech., saved that game (with the pre-tech purchase game saved in a separate spot), launched a new mission with Jeb, laptop died, had something to do, came back later opened the saved game and wow, that flight is still in the air after I reloaded my saved game with the new tech which was prior to launching that flight! jets now flying outta orbit and i can't get him back. Why does the game save like this? I do not understand the rules - if i did i couldn't gripe, cuz, well, gems da rules, but bc I totally cannot get it seems an aspect of the game thats utterly unfair. 

Welcome to the forums first off!

Sounds like the game autosaved in flight before your laptop died, you'd have to manually load your prior save to go back before that.

Alt-F5 and Alt-F9 create named quicksaves and bring up the list of named quicksaves to load from respectively. I find this to be much more reliable and predictable than counting on the game to keep my autosave.

well, I figured that out pretty quick so I always over-ride the autosave (persistent) by doing my own back up save under my own label, so that I am not forced to use persistent in case I'm in an irreversible situation. now if i want to revert to my old save if  I burn up or whatever, cool, I have it. However, i have noticed some times that when i save something and log out or leave the game and come back, it seems to autosave over my own save and i cannot revert to the old save. Thats what happened in this case. Now, if the game is saving over my own files...? well thats different, and seemingly counterproductive. 

The game does keep a few backups of older saves on hand. They should be in Kerbal Space Program > Saves > (what your save is named) > Backups. Delete the persistent.sfs file from the (what your save is named) folder, copy and paste the persistent(date of creation).sfs file from the backup, and rename it to be just persistent.sfs.

Autosaves only ever save to the filename "persistent.sfs". Unnamed quicksaves only ever save to "quicksave.sfs". If you used either of these names, then it will get overwritten. If you didn't use these names, it should be completely impossible for your named save to get overwritten, ever. If it does happen, that is a huge bug. If you got the game from steam, you need to verify your downloaded files. If you can reproduce the error, we need lots more info on how you did it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.