A.I. Scripts for Career

Hello! 

I just wondered is it possible to create some scripts in career that will make the game more alive? For example: the contract says: "You have to deliver those habitats, tools, life support systems, materials and other stuff with 2 or more Kerbals to the Duna on the certain location". When you did it and all conditions were met then the script is started. Kerbals began to unpack baggage and build their new homes, make experiments... The building isn't has to be complicated, it can be as shown in strategies like "Starcraft" or "Warcraft" etc... And so on, another scripts like that. Because it's very stupid when you land on the Duna, then perform another misson to Eeloo and it turns out that those Kerbals on Duna were just sitting in their sits and smiling to the camera in front of them for like 20 years. 

P.S. Of course the player can disable those scripts and do everything on his own.1200px-Moon_colony_with_rover.jpeg

Edited by GeKa

This idea has merit, but the way the game exists at the moment they assume that any construction, build-out, or local exploration would be actively done by the user.

I think the idea would require that "X" amount of null tonnage be brought along which would be appropriate for localized development, and then every 20 days or so the graphic could be updated.  However, I am not sure most players would be interested in this feature.  If you watch the great You-tubers (@Felbourn) the habitats they develop are placed with laborious care and consideration, and most of whom I've seen on this site do the same.  A "generation over time" element to base-camp construction isn't something I have heard discussed before, and I think it would take an atrocious amount of programming.

If it existed, I would likely use it (I'm not a "build everything" kind of guy), but I don't see it being very much in demand.

Edited by GarrisonChisholm

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm my name came up twice in this (one call out about my YouTube content, and one callout for Warcraft and StarCraft which I programmed) so I will reply.

The work I put into programming AI like in Warcraft et al was weeks and weeks and weeks. Doing Kerbal scripts would be easier in some ways, but also harder because you need to program it in an engine that was not designed for it. The world is 3D. It's hard to determine where collision meshes are by scanning. Everything would need to be dynamic. It might not even be possible to satisfy certain requirements, which would get the scripts stuck. You would need to figure out how to program pathing, and detect when Kerbals are stuck, and figure out how to get them unstuck. It's a huge challenge.

On 19.09.2017 at 6:17 PM, Felbourn said:

Hmm my name came up twice in this (one call out about my YouTube content, and one callout for Warcraft and StarCraft which I programmed) so I will reply.

The work I put into programming AI like in Warcraft et al was weeks and weeks and weeks. Doing Kerbal scripts would be easier in some ways, but also harder because you need to program it in an engine that was not designed for it. The world is 3D. It's hard to determine where collision meshes are by scanning. Everything would need to be dynamic. It might not even be possible to satisfy certain requirements, which would get the scripts stuck. You would need to figure out how to program pathing, and detect when Kerbals are stuck, and figure out how to get them unstuck. It's a huge challenge.

Hey! I'm not talking about procedural real time neural networks. How about premade actions. For example the location for base is determined and choosen with maker of script, and position of buldings is determined too. If you can understand me i'm not talking about AI as it is in "Warctaft", "Starcraft" or other similar games, i'm talking about the vision for player that it is AI, a fake. Kerbals will do what they were programmed to do (if conditions are true) and do it only on certain locations. Sorry if my title disappointed you. 

P.S. Thank you for your nice content

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.