Offsetting/turning different parts at the same time.

One thing I really miss is precise control over multiple, unconnected parts of a craft. For instance, positioning airplane or rover wheels on a craft that isn't completely build symmetrical from the side by design.

How this would work in my head is being able to ctrl-click any part you want. Then when you use the move tool to offset their location, or the rotate tool to rotate the part, they would all rotate at the same time. If parts would be 'down the same branch', so you could also for instance instantly make a curve or circle by ctrl-selecting and slightly rotating a row of multiple girders.

Just something I though all players could agree on. Manipulating multiple parts outside of simple part symmetry would be pretty awesome.

Edited by Tricky14

I think I get what you mean here...

Use CTRL Click to select multiple parts, which can then be moved and or rotated together in various ways...

When using the 'Move' gizmo the selected parts would all move together, retaining their positions relative to each other.

When using the 'Rotate' gizmo they could each rotate together, but around their own individual centres. 

I could see this being quite useful at times actually, though for me I doubt I would use it a great deal.

Another more complex option could be... Select the parts to be moved, then select a separate 'focus' part (not one of the moving parts), the selected parts then 'mirror' the movement and move relative to this focus.  eg. If you move one part outwards radially from the focus all the others move outwards by the same amount too.  Or move one part UP and the one opposite moves Down (like tilting an orbit's inclination).

It's not directly related but concerning the same toolset in the VAB/SPH.

I find it particularly annoying when using the rotate tool that you have to fiddle with the rotation bar quite a lot of your willing to put a one or two degree angle on something. Something like a fine tune option would be handy. 
I can also see use in the idea presented in the OP.

I would like to rotate multiple VTOL engines like 4 of them for instance so I can get the CoT through the CoM if they're placed at not exactly symmetrical positions. Sometimes that is limited by the wing design and whatnot. Ofcourse I can still do it the old fashioned way, but new fashion for the win. 

On 9/14/2017 at 1:37 PM, pandaman said:

I think I get what you mean here...

Use CTRL Click to select multiple parts, which can then be moved and or rotated together in various ways...

When using the 'Move' gizmo the selected parts would all move together, retaining their positions relative to each other.

When using the 'Rotate' gizmo they could each rotate together, but around their own individual centres. 

I could see this being quite useful at times actually, though for me I doubt I would use it a great deal.

Another more complex option could be... Select the parts to be moved, then select a separate 'focus' part (not one of the moving parts), the selected parts then 'mirror' the movement and move relative to this focus.  eg. If you move one part outwards radially from the focus all the others move outwards by the same amount too.  Or move one part UP and the one opposite moves Down (like tilting an orbit's inclination).

That's it exactly. I'm sorry everyone, I'm just no good at explaining what I see in my head.

Like today I had a biplane. I wanted to curve both sets of wings equally, but they were build differently in such a way that I would have had to carefully manipulate and count the 'ticks' I turned each segment. It would have been fantastic if I could have tweaked both sets of wings simultaneously.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.