Landing Gear Lights - Direction

Hello,

Some of the landing gears have lights attached to them.  They face one direction, and are unable to be altered other than shut off and on.

Often times, I end up using the landing gear in what could be described as "backwards" resulting in the red brakelight facing fore and the white headlight facing aft. 

Here are 3 images illustrating what I am talking about:

Spoiler

7puJ2WI.jpg

RgrOyVJ.jpg

uhGcbej.jpg

Could the upcoming addition of mesh switching allow for perhaps the direction of the light being made a selection within the SPH or VAB?

Thanks for reading.

Edited by klesh
punctuation

It would probably be considerably easier to add variants of the parts with lights facing the other way, or have a separate "undercarriage-light" part, than have a dynamically tweakable lightsource built into the wheel system.

I would in favour of an undercarriage overhaul. I find the shape and size of the landing gears quite unsatisfactory, particularly the length of the struts on the larger ones, forcing you to mount them high on the craft and deal with the consequent clipping or else face high-CoM instability issues. I also would prefer to see side-stowing and rear-stowing gears, and more options for fixed undercarriage - roverwheels, it turns out, are incredibly heavy and draggy.

But none of these things are gonna be very high on my hitlist of things KSP most needs, and all of them are covered by mods. So.. agreed. But meh.

43 minutes ago, klesh said:

Is anyone knowledgeable about the capabilities of mesh switching able to say whether this kind of suggestion is even possible?

The devs are being extremely tight-lipped on the utility and capabilities of the upcoming stock mesh-switching.  Only they know what it can/cannot do.  Heck, we don't even know if it will make it into stock code -- it might be a DLC-only feature -- they've been explicitly denying any requests for information on the feature.

• 5 months later...

Since mesh switching did make it into the stock game, is there a better picture of its capabilities now? 

For this to be a thing, would one have to do into the 3D model, cut the headlight off and reattach it to the other side, then save that as a new model mesh to be switched to?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.