Boeing Go Fly Prize

g00bd0g

I just saw the announcement for the Boeing Go Fly Prize and thought it would make an awesome kerbal challenge. I would like to create a challenge where people submit vehicles conforming to the rules and spirit of the official Go Fly Prize. I am working on several designs and will share them shortly as examples.

Any and all mods are allowed, the only restriction is the vehicle must be based on real physics and be at least marginally feasible and achievable with current technology. No Ion thrusters, anti-grav, nuclear, fission, etc...

I am still struggling if I am going to do a "real physics" based entry with FAR and other real parts mods, or just go kerbal style. Maybe I'll do both :)

I will be sole Judge to determine the entries score. I will judge based on aesthetics, creativity, and overall adherence to the rules and design goals as set out in the official documentation. Scoring will be 1(Bad) - 10(Perfect).

http://goflyprize.com/

If anyone is interested I am totally open to suggestions and refinements as to how we can run this challenge.

To make this a good challenge, I would suggest that you come up with some rules (e.g., minimum range, VTOL/HTOL, command seat required), choose whether to score based on lowest part count, lowest size, or lowest mass, and then award bonuses for things like safety features, supersonic capability, extended range, and stuff like that.

Sounds fun! 

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

To make this a good challenge, I would suggest that you come up with some rules (e.g., minimum range, VTOL/HTOL, command seat required), choose whether to score based on lowest part count, lowest size, or lowest mass, and then award bonuses for things like safety features, supersonic capability, extended range, and stuff like that.

You seem to be everywhere 0_o

15 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Almost all of these are specified in the official rules.

https://herox.com/GoFly/guidelines

I would plan on remaining faithful to the original vehicle design intent. Supersonic entries would not be considered realistic and violate one of the only rules I impose "must be based on real physics and be at least marginally feasible and achievable with current technology"

Edited by g00bd0g

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.