[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

As a question, would it be more feasible to get your apoapsis to 2.5 million kilometers and circularise? Would you then catch up with or have the planet catch up to you?

And the rest of the solar system (Juni, Mandrake, Rutherford, etc.) are coming in 0.18, no?

I don't know when they're coming, but this is about .17, and I'd not like to have the second discussion thread shut down so please stay on topic.

I hope Charr is extremely close to Kerbol, like 500 000 km or so. The sight of a intimidating large Kerbol (with maybe even sunspots visible) over the hellish landscape of Charr would be awesome. At that distance, Kerbol would appear twice as large as Kerbin appears from the Munar surface.

Moderator Comment: This really should be in the 0.17 discussion thread, it's very much on topic there and doesn't need a separate thread. Threads merged.

Edited by Ted

I hope there will be an engine like the VASIMR (Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket) as one of the parts in 0.17. Or something like an ion engine (along with solar panels ( I cheated and looked at Nova's youtube of which there was an animation of a solar panel (or it could be a test (I'm probably wrong :P ( I CAN HAVE DREAMS))))

*crosses fingers* :sticktongue:

As a question, would it be more feasible to get your apoapsis to 2.5 million kilometers and circularise? Would you then catch up with or have the planet catch up to you?

My point is that it's near impossible to circularize your orbit at 2.5 billion meters as it requires so much Delta-V to slow down (My guess was 10km/s). If you could manage to circularize then sure, let the planet catch up to you (or visa-versa). It wouldn't really make much difference.

An ion engine would be useless in game. You cant accelerate time when you are accelerating from an engine burn. (most of the time you cant even with SAS on). An ion engine would give you so little thrust you would have to leave it on for days on end to see any acceleration. So it would be useless in game.

An ion engine would be useless in game. You cant accelerate time when you are accelerating from an engine burn. (most of the time you cant even with SAS on). An ion engine would give you so little thrust you would have to leave it on for days on end to see any acceleration. So it would be useless in game.

0.1.7 is bringing some time acceleration modes that keep the physics going, I assume that would enable speeding up time while burning the engines.

Edit: Ninja'd by Spoot Knight :o

This is why you use VASIMR or and MPD rocket. A whole lot more thrust with about the same impulse.

I hope there will be an engine like the VASIMR (Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket) as one of the parts in 0.17. Or something like an ion engine (along with solar panels ( I cheated and looked at Nova's youtube of which there was an animation of a solar panel (or it could be a test (I'm probably wrong :P ( I CAN HAVE DREAMS))))

*crosses fingers* :sticktongue:

How do I find Nova's youtube? I searched Novasilisko, and I found a bunch that weren't him.