[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

This is the second 0.17 discussion thread.

Thread Rules:

1. Talk about 0.17 only!

2. No talking about other updates or stuff that will never be implemented!

3. No arguments!

Keep this thread newbie-friendly, so if we get lots of pages and a newbie comes with a new question, don't shout at them, answer politely.

Link to Official 0.17 Update features: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/15757-KSP-0-17-Update

Hi again,

So, it's time to start talking about what's next again. This is the main changelog thread for 0.17.

Mind though, that we're going to do things a bit differently here. This thread will only hold the main changelog, and each of us will have a thread of our own to post updates in. This one here is mostly going to be an introduction to the update itself, and a place where we update the status of our development goals.

The 0.17 update is mainly focused on improving the overall game experience, especially for new players, plus adding some new content to the areas we already have developed. Contrary to 0.16 where we added a few very big features, 0.17 will be about adding many small ones. However, from a gameplay point of view, sometimes the smaller features are the ones that make the biggest differences.

Anyhow, here's what you probably came here for. The 0.17 Changelog:

New for KSP 0.17:

* Internal Cockpit Views: The first iteration of the IVAs (Intra-Vehicular Activities) feature set.

Assigned to: Mu, C7

* Multiple Player Saves: You can now have multiple ongoing game sessions, as each save is kept in its own folder (instead of all using the saves/default one).

Assigned to: HarvesteR

* Quick Flight Scenarios: Start flights from pre-set conditions, without interfering with your persistent sandbox save, and also save your own scenarios from your main game.

* Scenario Logic Modules: Like PartModules, but for scene logic (and defined on an SFS file instead of a part.cfg).

* Training Scenarios: Hands-On tutorials to teach you everything from craft construction to orbital maneuvers.

Assigned to: HarvesteR, Nova

* Center of mass, thrust, lift and drag visual cues on the construction scenes.

* Prebuilt ships included with the game, as examples and possible starting points.

Assigned to: Everyone

* Several new parts

Assigned to: Nova, C7

* Many new planets and moons throughout the Kerbal Solar System.

Assigned to: NovaSilisko

* vBulletin implementation

Assigned to: aLeXmOrA

* Physical Timewarp Modes: An alternate time-warp mode where you can accelerate time to 2x, 3x and 4x without putting the sim on rails.

Bug Fixes and Tweaks:

* Krakensbane: A solution to the 'Space Kraken' issue

* Many bugs fixed on the fuel flow system.

* Tweaked the atmosphere rendering for Kerbin a bit, for improved visuals.

* Ships saved by one player are private to that player. Ships on the KSP/Ships folders are common to all players and non-overwritable (from inside the game)

* Added a button on game loading dialog, to delete a saved game and all its contents (prompts for confirmation).

* Added a button on the ship loading dialog to delete saved ships (prompts for confirmation).

* Added a button on the Tracking Station to terminate an ongong flight (prompts for confirmation).

* Implemented dynamic walk cycle blending for EVA Kerbals under G levels between 0.17 and 1G

* Added a floating origin system to the Scaled Space subscene, eliminating the visual jittering when viewing distant objects in the map view.

* Revised part titles and descriptions for the parts added in 0.16

As you can see, this update is essentially about improving accessibility and that first-time experience, as well as finishing up what we started on the last update. We\'ve been gathering input from first-time playthroughs, and decided it\'s high time we addressed some of the most glaring issues newcomers tend to encounter, although I do think some of those features will prove themselves quite useful to veteran players as well.

As always, we\'ll keep this list updated as development progresses, and items you see in green are already done.

Cheers

Here is an album that Novasilisko (The KSP developer) posted about the planets and his interplanetary mission.

http://imgur.com/a/clX81

The Mod team will be watching this new thread very closely. We are tired of warning you, and will now hand out infractions instantly for off-topic posting.

-DR

Edited by deadshot462
Updated OP with 0.17 feature information

Nova said that for the time being, it's a normal planet, but if you go into its surface, bad things happen.

Navigating in its surroundings will prove to be both challenging and fun, as the moons seem quite close to each other (or are they all just really big?).

Nice layout but the gas giant is nearly as big as kerbol.

Hah yeah, the scale is probably way off ... ! Not to mention the gas giant is lit on the wrong side.

Now seeing the planets side by side, I gotta say I actually like the different colors. The purple planet (Eve) looks even a bit agressive and toxic.

EDIT: finally got the spoiler thing under control

Edited by Bekiekutmoar

Any one got any idea how "Quick Flight Scenarios" will look like?

* Quick Flight Scenarios: Start flights from pre-set conditions, without interfering with your persistent sandbox save, and also save your own scenarios from your main game.

Will this just be a background for the tutorial missions or will will we be able to use it..

Example run simulations of a craft directly from orbit.. etc..

What are your thoughts?

Any one got any idea how "Quick Flight Scenarios" will look like?

Will this just be a background for the tutorial missions or will will we be able to use it..

Example run simulations of a craft directly from orbit.. etc..

What are your thoughts?

HarvesteR said on the live steam yesterday that Instead of having just Start game on the menu, you will have the options for "Start game" (sandbox mode), "Campaign" (Campaign but not in yet) and "Flight Scenarios" (Quick flight scenarios) :)

Hope this helped you.

I am also very curious about the flight scenario thingy, might be a cool way to set up challanges, also the new parts, I think I saw a post by Nova saying that they had already made a larger sas and rcs, I hope they're not just scaled up copies of the old ones

I'm pretty sure the quick flight scenarios will work the same way the scenarios work now. They're basically a saved persistence file that you can read, but not write (opening a scenario overwrites your current persistence.sfs with the contents of the scenario).

Except we will have an option to save such scenarios from in-game, instead of copy/pasting them.

HarvesteR said on the live steam yesterday that Instead of having just Start game on the menu, you will have the options for "Start game" (sandbox mode), "Campaign" (Campaign but not in yet) and "Flight Scenarios" (Quick flight scenarios) :)

Hope this helped you.

Interesting, I hope I don't get tortured for going slightly off topic, but was that stream recorded so I could watch it? I missed it...

Interesting, I hope I don't get tortured for going slightly off topic, but was that stream recorded so I could watch it? I missed it...

Yep you cant watch it at kurtjmacs twitch.

http://www.twitch.tv/kurtjmac

Also i think some of the devs will be coming back for the next livestream which from when i post this (15:53 GMT) is about 3 hours away

Edited by carter1205

Here you are: http://fr.twitch.tv/kurtjmac/b/328128129 (edit: I was ninja'd, but this link will get you directly to the video)

The interesting part starts at 3 hours or so, I believe, and lasts till the end of the video.

A reminder, though, for everyone who would watch it: DO NOT talk about anything that is not related to 0.17, as Damion warned in the previous thread.

Hope this helped you.

In short Read only Save games.. :P

Thx mate.. :P