Throttle doesn't respond to axis controls

I mapped my throttle controls to one of my joystick axis for more precise VTOL flight. But the game only responds to my keyboard (shift/ctrl) commands for throttle.I mapped pitch,yaw and roll to my joystick aswell without any problems.I tried using different axis but nothing works.

Have to confirm this by testing, but based on what you're saying, and in particular that you bound the throttle to a joystick axis, it could be the case that the analog throttle setting can only respond to a slider-type control, not a recentering joystick axis. Otherwise, with such a recentering setup, only one of two results are possible:

• Joystick deflection modulates how fast the throttle is advanced/retracted; releasing it stops the input (something like Battlestations Midway/Pacific or War Thunder with a Dualshkck-type pad). But considering that under continuous control input the throttle slider only advances/retracts at a set speed (apart from instant Z/X inputs), such modulation might not be available from a control standpoint; better off just tapping Ctrl/Shift slowly to get the same effect. (Consider, for example, how the TCA mod achieves fine levels of engine output control for VTOL control by modulating the engine's thrust limiter, not just the throttle.)
  • Joystick deflection reflects the throttle range from 0-100; releasing it defaults to 50. Works for Ace Combat, but highly impractical for KSP, especially since you'd want to leave the throttle at a certain setting for some maneuvers or occasions. 

Although if you're talking about a throttle slider rather than a joystick, please feel free to disregard what I just said.

In any case, can you explain what joystick or controller you're using for this setup? 

Edited by B-STRK

3 hours ago, B-STRK said:

Have to confirm this by testing, but based on what you're saying, and in particular that you bound the throttle to a joystick axis, it could be the case that the analog throttle setting can only respond to a slider-type control, not a recentering joystick axis. Otherwise, with such a recentering setup, only one of two results are possible:

• Joystick deflection modulates how fast the throttle is advanced/retracted; releasing it stops the input (something like Battlestations Midway/Pacific or War Thunder with a Dualshkck-type pad). But considering that under continuous control input the throttle slider only advances/retracts at a set speed (apart from instant Z/X inputs), such modulation might not be available from a control standpoint; better off just tapping Ctrl/Shift slowly to get the same effect. (Consider, for example, how the TCA mod achieves fine levels of engine output control for VTOL control by modulating the engine's thrust limiter, not just the throttle.)
  • Joystick deflection reflects the throttle range from 0-100; releasing it defaults to 50. Works for Ace Combat, but highly impractical for KSP, especially since you'd want to leave the throttle at a certain setting for some maneuvers or occasions. 

Although if you're talking about a throttle slider rather than a joystick, please feel free to disregard what I just said.

In any case, can you explain what joystick or controller you're using for this setup? 

I have a Thrustmaster T16000 stick and a Saitek X-55 Rhino throttle. I mapped my throttle to axis on both systems but it didn't work. I was using slider axis instead of recentering ones for throttle. After reading your comment I mapped my throttle to a recentering axis just to see if it works, but it didn't (and even if I don't like using a recentering axis for throttle).I'm already used to these systems from DCS and IL-2 Sturmovik but it only occurs in KSP on throttle (as I said pitch,yaw,roll are fine).

Edited by Space_Falcon

Weird, though I remember reading that KSP (or Unity's) joystick detection could be wonky at times. Using an Xinput gamepad, so I can't help beyond that (though some here have mentioned the Logitech 3d Pro working for them--and that had an integrated throttle slider). Hopefully someone here can provide their experience with a separate-throttle unit setup to help you!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.