Comm Satellite VAB

Hello guys, i am new to this and i am doing a project and i am using this amzing game, but i would like to launch a communication satllite that has solar panels obviously and 2 antenna reflectors and then deploy them, i dont know how to build one, if someone is kind enough to provide me with a VAB stock file or teach me how to do it and deploy it. Thanks

Greetings @Eldrige and welcome to the forums. 

First question - Have you made orbit yet?

You don't need 2 antennas - the HG-5 High Gain Antenna is both direct and relay. 

I'm not sure what kind of an orbit you wish to go to but I generally have a relay in Synchronous orbit above the KSC to improve coverage (I play with a single ground station).
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Synchronous_orbit
A 3 sat constellation gives complete coverage (tutorials at the bottom of the page):
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CommNet

Here's a cheap, basic relay sat that includes a thermometer (so you can fulfill "science from around Kerbin " contracts). It has over 1800Dv so you shouldn't need too big a launcher to get it up there.
jWFcKTb.png

15 minutes ago, James Kerman said:

Greetings @Eldrige and welcome to the forums. 

First question - Have you made orbit yet?

You don't need 2 antennas - the HG-5 High Gain Antenna is both direct and relay. 

I'm not sure what kind of an orbit you wish to go to but I generally have a relay in Synchronous orbit above the KSC to improve coverage (I play with a single ground station).
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Synchronous_orbit
A 3 sat constellation gives complete coverage (tutorials at the bottom of the page):
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CommNet

Here's a cheap, basic relay sat that includes a thermometer (so you can fulfill "science from around Kerbin " contracts). It has over 1800Dv so you shouldn't need too big a launcher to get it up there.
jWFcKTb.png

@James Kerman Greetings

Thank you so much for your response, i have not got into orbit yet, basically i downloaded the horizon aeronautics 3slb mod and i need to put a satellite in it in the place of the command module, i am not interested in getting into orbit yet, all i really just want is launch a satellite with 2 antenna reflectors and deploy it even if its not in orbit.

Its for a school project to show kids how a satellite is launched and how it deploys the solar arrays and antenna reflectors.

The satellite looks something like this:

https://imgur.com/a/eoF64

I don't have the mod but you can use alt+F12 to bring up the debug menu and set an orbit for just the satellite - that way you wont have to worry about launching it.
This is the best I could do with stock parts - the only tricky thing is rotating the antenna into the probe core:
5XYxuUp.png

12 minutes ago, James Kerman said:

I don't have the mod but you can use alt+F12 to bring up the debug menu and set an orbit for just the satellite - that way you wont have to worry about launching it.
This is the best I could do with stock parts - the only tricky thing is rotating the antenna into the probe core:
5XYxuUp.png

@James Kerman

wow, thats exactly what i was looking for, how do i do it? do you perhaps have a VAB file that i can use or how can i build one like that? 

all i really nned to know is ho to make one or get one like the one you did, put it inside the zenit 3slb craft and launch it and deploy at least the solar panels.

Thank you so much for taking your time

It's real easy to build.

In pods click the Probodobodyne QBE probe core.  You should see a probe core appear in the VAB.
Next open the electrical tab - click on OX-4L 1x6 Photovoltaic Panel - your cursor should show a folded panel.  Move this onto the probe core and then press x - you should now see two panels in symmetry on the core.  Move them around to your liking and left click when you are happy with the positioning (you can use the keys qweasd to rotate the panels trough 3 axis).  On the bottom of the core I added a Small Inline Reaction Wheel from the command and control tab because the QBE has none.  Next select the HG-5 High gain antenna from the communications tab.  This is the slightly tricky bit.  Place it anywhere on the core (two should appear because you are still in dual symmetry mode and click then right click the antenna and extend it.  Once it has been extended left click on it again this will free them from their position.  You will need to rotate them into the body of the core to get the result above and this is achieved by using the keys qweasd normally make parts rotate 90 degrees. If you hold shift, they rotate in 5 degree increments.  Once you have them where you like them right click and retract antenna.  I put a little battery on top to make sure you don't run out of charge before you deploy your panels but I would put it onto the reaction wheel on the bottom because if you are going to mate this with a rocket you are going to have to mount it upside down because of the stowed position of the antennas.  Put a decoupler where the battery is and your just about done.

The last thing to do is create and action group to deploy panels. In the VAB you should see three blue buttons in the top left for Parts, actions and crew.  Click actions.  a menu should open on the left.  Click custom 01 then click on either of the solar panels.  You should see available actions for the part you have selected - left click on extend solar panels.  Launch the vessel and press 1 - you should see the panels extend (the panels I selected cannot be retracted but the other 1x6 does).  Repeat this process with the antennas and your probe is done.

OP, for your presentation make sure you bind the solar panels and antenna to action groups (second blue button at the top left of the VAB editor) so that you can deploy them with the push of a button for a sleek effect.

@James Kerman consider installing kerbalX mod if you want to share craft with some frequency.

A good description and some images is mandatory if you want people to download it. Personally, flight instructions is something I consider very important to include.

As for the craft I'd include a bit of RCS in the sat, not necessary but I think would be a nice touch. Aside that small detail I realky liked how you did it.

6 hours ago, Spricigo said:

A good description and some images is mandatory if you want people to download it. Personally, flight instructions is something I consider very important to include.

As for the craft I'd include a bit of RCS in the sat, not necessary but I think would be a nice touch. Aside that small detail I realky liked how you did it.

I'm a fat old greybeard - I couldn't add an image so I couldn't publish.:huh:
Basically @Eldrige just wants to get it into space but I did give it a generous amount of Dv and reaction wheels so a new player could get it into orbit if they chose to. 

Flight instructions: Engage stability assist (press t).  Fire rocket (space bar).  Stage when out of fuel (space bar). Deploy panels and antennae (press 1).
Update: figured it out (a bit)
http://kerbalx.com/JamesKerman/A-schproj.craft]download A schproj

Edited by James Kerman
Apparently I don't need to publish for a file to be available.

16 hours ago, James Kerman said:

It's real easy to build.

In pods click the Probodobodyne QBE probe core.  You should see a probe core appear in the VAB.
Next open the electrical tab - click on OX-4L 1x6 Photovoltaic Panel - your cursor should show a folded panel.  Move this onto the probe core and then press x - you should now see two panels in symmetry on the core.  Move them around to your liking and left click when you are happy with the positioning (you can use the keys qweasd to rotate the panels trough 3 axis).  On the bottom of the core I added a Small Inline Reaction Wheel from the command and control tab because the QBE has none.  Next select the HG-5 High gain antenna from the communications tab.  This is the slightly tricky bit.  Place it anywhere on the core (two should appear because you are still in dual symmetry mode and click then right click the antenna and extend it.  Once it has been extended left click on it again this will free them from their position.  You will need to rotate them into the body of the core to get the result above and this is achieved by using the keys qweasd normally make parts rotate 90 degrees. If you hold shift, they rotate in 5 degree increments.  Once you have them where you like them right click and retract antenna.  I put a little battery on top to make sure you don't run out of charge before you deploy your panels but I would put it onto the reaction wheel on the bottom because if you are going to mate this with a rocket you are going to have to mount it upside down because of the stowed position of the antennas.  Put a decoupler where the battery is and your just about done.

The last thing to do is create and action group to deploy panels. In the VAB you should see three blue buttons in the top left for Parts, actions and crew.  Click actions.  a menu should open on the left.  Click custom 01 then click on either of the solar panels.  You should see available actions for the part you have selected - left click on extend solar panels.  Launch the vessel and press 1 - you should see the panels extend (the panels I selected cannot be retracted but the other 1x6 does).  Repeat this process with the antennas and your probe is done.

Wow thank you so much fopr your effort, this is really helpfull and i belive with it i can achieve the desireble, thanks again for your help, will be posting pics of the results

Edited by Eldrige

5 hours ago, A_name said:

OP, for your presentation make sure you bind the solar panels and antenna to action groups (second blue button at the top left of the VAB editor) so that you can deploy them with the push of a button for a sleek effect.

Thanks i will take into consideration

5 hours ago, James Kerman said:

I'm a fat old greybeard - I couldn't add an image so I couldn't publish.:huh:
Basically @Eldrige just wants to get it into space but I did give it a generous amount of Dv and reaction wheels so a new player could get it into orbit if they chose to. 

Flight instructions: Engage stability assist (press t).  Fire rocket (space bar).  Stage when out of fuel (space bar). Deploy panels and antennae (press 1).

Thanks

7 hours ago, James Kerman said:

I have built this rocket for you.  I'm having trouble uploading to kerbalx (first time I've tried to upload a craft file) If you PM me I will email it to you :
L54lgeh.png

Thanks, i tried PMing you but as of right now i can't because i dont have enough points, but i dont mind sharing this email [email protected], you can send it there

@James Kerman

Hi James, so i am back with a question, i have managed to build the satellite following your instructions, but now i am struggling to figure out how to set it in the zenit 3slb rocket from the Horizon Aeronautics Mod, so i want to replace the command pod that comes in the rocket to replace it with the satellite that you thought me to build.

Here is a image:

https://imgur.com/a/xhd1u

On 11/10/2017 at 8:26 AM, Eldrige said:

@James Kerman

wow, thats exactly what i was looking for, how do i do it? do you perhaps have a VAB file that i can use or how can i build one like that? 

all i really nned to know is ho to make one or get one like the one you did, put it inside the zenit 3slb craft and launch it and deploy at least the solar panels.

Thank you so much for taking your time

General tip: press shift then the key you want to rotate a part

i.e. shift+q to roll the part a tiny bit

@Eldrige
Firstly open the zenit.  Usually the crew pod is the "root part" or parent part of your rocket and you will have some troubles if you try to remove it.  To change the root or parent part click the "root change" gizmo:
j0YxUaE.png <the 4th icon here and then left click any part on the zenit besides the crew pod then click on the fairing - this should make the fairing the root or parent part of your rocket.  You should now be able to remove the pod.  Save the craft.

Next open your probe in the VAB.  Add a de-coupler to it where you wish to join it to the zenit.  Without closing the probe click the load icon, select the zenit and click merge - in the bottom left of the load screen.  You should now be able to join the two together at the fairing. - rebuild your fairing (right click on fairing base and select "build") and your rocket is ready.

While I cannot see the stageing order in your image and am unfamiliar with the mod, it looks like a 2 stage rocket - Space bar activates the staging.  I would load on the pad it and press space a few times to see what the staging does.  Generally when launching a rocket your checklist should be: Engage stability assist (t), check throttle level (z for full throttle), press space to launch and space as each stage runs out of fuel.  Once you have staged the fairing pressing 1 should extend the panels and antennae.

If you have problems and urgently need it, I did manage to get my design uploaded back upthread.

Edited by James Kerman
Edited for more information.

14 hours ago, James Kerman said:

@Eldrige
Firstly open the zenit.  Usually the crew pod is the "root part" or parent part of your rocket and you will have some troubles if you try to remove it.  To change the root or parent part click the "root change" gizmo:
j0YxUaE.png <the 4th icon here and then left click any part on the zenit besides the crew pod then click on the fairing - this should make the fairing the root or parent part of your rocket.  You should now be able to remove the pod.  Save the craft.

Next open your probe in the VAB.  Add a de-coupler to it where you wish to join it to the zenit.  Without closing the probe click the load icon, select the zenit and click merge - in the bottom left of the load screen.  You should now be able to join the two together at the fairing. - rebuild your fairing (right click on fairing base and select "build") and your rocket is ready.

While I cannot see the stageing order in your image and am unfamiliar with the mod, it looks like a 2 stage rocket - Space bar activates the staging.  I would load on the pad it and press space a few times to see what the staging does.  Generally when launching a rocket your checklist should be: Engage stability assist (t), check throttle level (z for full throttle), press space to launch and space as each stage runs out of fuel.  Once you have staged the fairing pressing 1 should extend the panels and antennae.

If you have problems and urgently need it, I did manage to get my design uploaded back upthread.

It worked, Thanks a lot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.