ShadowGoat Corporate Crafts

SG Aero

Welcome to the ShadowGoat Corporate Showroom, where ships of all make and model are displayed! This page will regularly be updated with my newest craft, and will have download links by request, as right now it's not worth the trouble of setting up a kerbalX for something that no one is going to see.

Aircraft:

Spoiler

Dark Arrow:

A reliable little plane. It has afterburners and is quite maneuverable. I'm not sure of it's exact top speed, but it's somewhere around 1000 m/s. It's high lift area means that it can gain altitude while flying level to the horizon at speeds around 500 m/s. It also has a very small area needed for take off, as it's capable of taking off at 40 m/s, which is nothing for 4 panther jets. It can hit speeds of over 215 m/s by the end of the runway while in the air.

bVmyKSH.png

2VRBwWv.png

Here is the download for the normal version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/63w6r3v9dekd5ot/SC Dark Arrow.craft?dl=0

It also comes in a VTOL variant. Very precise control, but goes up very slowly. It allows for instant take off if you engage both sets of engines and don't want to wait for the engines to warm up. It doesn't sacrifice any speed or maneuverability, so it's a better alternative than it's cousin.

qPPm3Fn.png

Here is the download for the VTOl version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7hmtensmlknwdr/SC Dark Arrow VTOL.craft?dl=0

It also has a SSTO version. Believe me, it's possible to do. It's just difficult. It has a small cargo bay in the back.

UVEKXQW.png

Ll2DIkc.png

The Gnat:

An experimental aircraft with rotating wings. Not much to say about this. It has a lot of SAS, but due to the placement of the thrust relative to the slightly lifted CoM it tends to lean upwards when disengaging SAS for course corrections. While it may not fly the best, It certainly is the smallest folding winged plane of it's kind, and is easy to set up as it has an auto-rotation feature when using the wings for the first time. It also comes in a box with custom made landing gear.

wA8EUAi.png

bHU77Ja.png

GYEanCd.png

SSTOs:

Coming as soon as I get a working design.

SpaceCraft:

Give me a while to look through my files and get images

Military Craft:

Spoiler

SC Void:

Possibly the most armored and armed craft I have made, this frigate packs a ton of I-Beams and Armor piercing missiles.

2yWBL1f.png

zlA27ZG.png

Edited by ShadowGoat

Imgur is always a little screwy. What I do is right click the image and open it in a new tab, then copy paste that link from your address bar. You don't even need to use the add image button, it'll do it automatically.

Like so:

2VRBwWv.png

bVmyKSH.png

^Your pics. Nice looking plane btw!

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

33 minutes ago, ShadowGoat said:

What's self bumping

2.2 Forbidden content
Messages that involve the following content will result in moderator action.
Any variation on the type of message that is used to needlessly bump threads, raise ones own account visibility and/or increase post count;

When you make a post just to "bump" your own thread up the page.
Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

I have a new plane being built and it works decently we'll. It has one problem though. It seems like all my spaceplanes become uncontrollable in re entry, and once they go into a spin, you can't recover them. Does anyone have any solutiojns to this? Also more commonly they flip around and the sas can't recover them. Also I changed my title to adequately reflect my vehicle testing methods. Thank the lord for revert to launch.

Edited by ShadowGoat

On 11/23/2017 at 4:34 AM, ShadowGoat said:

I have a new plane being built and it works decently we'll. It has one problem though. It seems like all my spaceplanes become uncontrollable in re entry, and once they go into a spin, you can't recover them. Does anyone have any solutiojns to this? Also more commonly they flip around and the sas can't recover them. Also I changed my title to adequately reflect my vehicle testing methods. Thank the lord for revert to launch.

Pump fuel to the front. Manually or with TAC Fuel Balancer

Remove draggy parts from the front and add to the back. I use the cheat menu a lot to look at the drag values for parts in flight. Air intakes can be really draggy. Using RCS Build Aid and Correct CoL together is a really excellent way to build stable plane.

On 23/11/2017 at 12:34 PM, ShadowGoat said:

When I was developing my C Type shuttles this was an issue I came across also. How I managed to solve it was very simple, and did not take any major re-design. I simply had the shuttle in the spaceplane hangar, drained all the fuel out (you do re-entry empty like a glider, right?) and aligned the COM and COL correctly for empty flying.

When taking the 40t Mullet Dyne fuel pod down from LKO (still not landed it on the runway hence no mission log or badge yet) I put the shuttle into the spaceplane hangar, put the fuel pod into the shuttle (note - the shuttle tanks were empty) and adjusted the COM/COL again.

It is important not to underestimate the effects of correct COM/COL balance.

If your spaceplane does re-entry with fuel left inside the tanks (say for jets?) then be aware that again the COM/COL may need to be aligned for re-entry, and that also the COM can move up and down as well as forwards and backwards. In this case you will need a balancer engine to manually adjust the thrust limiter to keep the aircraft stable.

I am assuming a certain degree of knowledge in the explanation, but if you are in doubt what I mean, put simply - MOVE THE WINGS FORWARDS OR BACKWARDS, UP OR DOWN, PLAY WITH THE ENGINE/THRUST ALIGNMENT -  FIND THE BALANCE!!

Since I got my head around this aspect of aircraft design it has opened up a whole new world of design ideas to me, and I hope you find the same :)

I’ve been playing for a while so I’m terrible at orbital maneuvers but I’m pretty good at building. I feel like you are talking about a shuttle type plane but I mean a stol, not a vtol. I’m just going to try to screw with the fuel flow to see whether I can shift the mass far enough forwards to keep it stable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.