Solar powered engines?

Hey all, this is my first post, but I've been playing and lurking the forum for a few months.

I've found lots of mods with ion engines, batteries, and solar panels--the panels have a meter for 'power generation', so they don't seem to be just decoration. I'm wondering if there is a mod, or combination of mods, that will allow the solar panels to recharge the batteries, so I can build long range, multipurpose spaceships.

I've searched the forum, and I've found posts that seem to say this is impossible in the current version of the game--as well as posts that seem to imply people are already doing this.

I know I can edit the part files for infinite fuel and so forth, but I like the challenge of balancing engines and components.

If this is impossible, I'd still like to know for sure. Thanks!

Hi mkn, and welcome to the KSP community, I hope you have a great time here :)

As for the engines and stuff, there is an add-on called Dynasat that can do a lot of this I think, I'll find you the link.

Here is Dynasat.

And here is an energy plugin.

Edited by sal_vager

Hmm... I've got two energy plugins (Electrical Energy and Powertech), and an adapter plugin from Powertech running right now, with parts from at least three or four modders, and I can't seem to do anything useful with the solar panels from any of them--I think I've tried pretty much every combination of battery, solar panel, and engine that makes sense.

I do have ion engines to run off battery power with parts from Powertech, Electrical Energy, and Mechanical Mouse, but recharging the batteries eludes me.

Is anyone actually running a solar electric system on a ship design right now? If so, I'd appreciate an outline of whatever mods you're using. It's possible I've just gotten too complicated--maybe there is a simpler solution out there.

If not, I can wait til it shows up in a future update.

Dear Everybody:

I am now watching the fuel meter on my MMI batteries slowly tick up, and feeling a bit silly--this was actually the first set of solar panels I've downloaded since upgrading to .16.

Very cool--and thanks for the help--I'll post some stuff in the ship exchange in gratitude!