Gamepad axes mapping with modifier button

Is there any way to assign one gamepad axis to multiple axes in game by using (holding) a modifier button?

Example:

> Left Stick Horizontal axis (eg. Joy 0.1) -> mapped to Yaw
> Left Stick Horizontal axis (eg. Joy 0.1) while holding LB -> mapped to Translate Left/Right

There is a mod called "Advanced Fly-by-Wire" that does exactly that, but unfortunately I can't get it to work properly. When on EVA the controls still apply to the vessel and not to the Kerbal on EVA.

As there are already XBOX and Playstation versions of KSP out there in which those mappings are included straight away, why is this lacking in the PC version?

You basically need at least 9 axes (Pitch, Yaw, Roll / Translate X, Translate Y, Translate Z / Cam Horizontal, Cam Vertical, Cam Zoom).

A typical gamepad for PC has 5 analogue axes (2x Left Stick, 2x Right Stick, Trigger-Buttons).

I've tried almost every joystick mapping software (vJoy, UJC, UCR, Xpadder, DS4 Windows,...) but unfortunately I could not find one that would let me create a virtual axis by defining "modifier key + physical axis".

Please help!

On 11/27/2017 at 7:51 AM, bs7599 said:

I've tried almost every joystick mapping software (vJoy, UJC, UCR, Xpadder, DS4 Windows,...) but unfortunately I could not find one that would let me create a virtual axis by defining "modifier key + physical axis".

Have you tried the Steam Controller config? Supposedly, it can configure any gamepad Windows recognises.

• Steam->Settings->Controller
  • Check in 'General Controller Settings' that Steam has your controller selected, otherwise select it or add it
  • 'Desktop configuration' to configure it (assuming you avoid Big Picture mode like the plague, like I do)
  • Click any of the controller's sticks/pads to edit their configuration
  • 'Mode Shifting' apparently lets you pick which one of the controller's buttons to use as a modifier

Note that I have no actual experience with it, I just remembered seeing that before in the Steam configuration and looked it up just now to describe it here.

Edited by swjr-swis

I have tried the Steam controller config for gamepads. I did find the Shift-function, also for axes (configured as "Joystick move").

Unfortunately you may only choose between "Joystick 1" and "Joystick 2" which means you remain limited to 4 axis in total (2x Joystick 1, 2x Joystick 2).

If the configurator offered the option of a 3rd and 4th joystick, it would probably work.

After reading some discussions about the Steam controller it is only able to emulate Keyboard/Mouse and Xinput. Xinput is generally limited to 2x2 joystick axes and the triggers (that may act as 1 or 2 axis). As there is no Dinput (allows more axes than Xinput) support for the steam controller itself, the configurator is also limited to Xinput.

What I could still do  (and maybe that also leads me to a reasonable workaround for KSP) is to use the normal stick axes on first layer and map keystrokes to the axes on the shifted layer. The stick would work analogue on first layer and digital on second layer.

I will try that and report my results.

No way that it would work (any better than the solutions I've already come up with)!

When setting joystick analogue axis on first layer and setting digital buttons on second layer, KSP will just ignore the shifted layer. Once an analogue axis is mapped to pitch/yaw etc. this mapping will overrule any other settings configured in the steam controller setup.

The steam controller config offers basically the same stuff as Xpadder and there is no way to create a new virtual axis by using modifiers.

It makes me really sad...

1 minute ago, bs7599 said:

When setting joystick analogue axis on first layer and setting digital buttons on second layer, KSP will just ignore the shifted layer. Once an analogue axis is mapped to pitch/yaw etc. this mapping will overrule any other settings configured in the steam controller setup.

I guess the game itself needs to support it. Maybe it'll be done at some point, perhaps benefiting from the code for the consoles.

Thanks for the testing anyway; I'm a mouse and keyboard type myself, but with a more functional controller I'm sure there'd be more people interested in trying it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.