[1.3.1] Aviation Lights v3.14 [use MOARdV's version instead!]

BigNose

Well, remember that even though there might be RGB adjustments coming, they won't likely affect the actual skin of the parts. I like my red lights to actually look red when not lit. That makes it easy to keep track of what's what while building, more than anything else. :D

http://i.imgur.com/qCZpQIB.png

ahh yes, but we could technically color them with kerbpaint :) making the masks/png files required isnt hard. Course ,he could have the strips that are different lengths of white for those that want to make a tron looking craft ,and the normal aviation lights. I could provide the the required files for those that want to use kerbpaint to color the lights whatever color they make the glow.

oh and btw... nice vehicle! :)

Edited by mrsinister
additional thoughts...

ahh yes, but we could technically color them with kerbpaint :) making the masks/png files required isnt hard. Course ,he could have the strips that are different lengths of white for those that want to make a tron looking craft ,and the normal aviation lights. I could provide the the required files for those that want to use kerbpaint to color the lights whatever color they make the glow.

oh and btw... nice vehicle! :)

Well, while that's very true, at that point you're now talking about requiring an additional mod just to run this one. Alternatively, (and though I'm sure this would probably be a coding nightmare), there may be a way for the mod to select from a set of existing skins based on which one is closest to the current RGB value. In other words, a red-ish RGB setting will trigger the mod to select the red skin for that part. The skin color wouldn't have to be a dead match for the illumination; it only needs to look close enough to be "believable".

Also, thanks! That ship was my first foray into creating an awesome VTOL with Infernal Robotics, and it came out better than expected. It's now my go-to scout solution for any long-range colonization or mining ventures.

screenshot372.png

screenshot375.png

screenshot406.png

screenshot380.png

screenshot389.png

screenshot394.png

Well, while that's very true, at that point you're now talking about requiring an additional mod just to run this one. Alternatively, (and though I'm sure this would probably be a coding nightmare), there may be a way for the mod to select from a set of existing skins based on which one is closest to the current RGB value. In other words, a red-ish RGB setting will trigger the mod to select the red skin for that part. The skin color wouldn't have to be a dead match for the illumination; it only needs to look close enough to be "believable".

Also, thanks! That ship was my first foray into creating an awesome VTOL with Infernal Robotics, and it came out better than expected. It's now my go-to scout solution for any long-range colonization or mining ventures.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-lUlZPGyoU5w/UwalbCJGKrI/AAAAAAAAYno/Y3upDkGenHs/s800/screenshot372.png

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-tfyCMen9-Xs/UwaleyATVcI/AAAAAAAAYnw/oEMlNZKaSD0/s800/screenshot375.png

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-tM6J0OH7dik/Uwalz5ifoQI/AAAAAAAAYog/94DSI7nP4Xk/s800/screenshot406.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OUFqWyU3AJw/UwaliRFfceI/AAAAAAAAYoA/Hx2_gKtVZzA/s800/screenshot380.png

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-NMjL1nX2FHA/UwaloPdPldI/AAAAAAAAYoI/asyfgheB5TQ/s800/screenshot389.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YQMenXIP0_A/UwalqhLW8PI/AAAAAAAAYoQ/goH4by4gZZY/s800/screenshot394.png

yeah definitely rock'n there. Well, you can do a little trick with the EmissiveColor it can go out of the boundries of the light so the light texture itself looks red along with the red glow while its on. This has been done already in the inline lights mod. looks awesome though.

oh and my current project... making a Farscape Prowler...

Prowler01_zpsf4cea24f.png

lol I forgot to extend the sensor array on the wings a bit more...but..oh well..next flight...

• 1 month later...

First, the compliments: yay lights! Pretty shiny twinkly colourful lights I can slap all over my ships and stuff!

Now, the suggestions requests:

1. The colourization tweakables on the stock Illuminators are mighty convenient... using them would reduce the number of VAB part entries to two - dim Navlights and bright Strobelights.
  2. I really wish there was a different model of light - a projecting cylinder or sphere, like the classic "gumball" light you find on old police cars. Obviously, not directional or rotating.
  3. In concert with the previous, I'd adjust the directionality of the existing lights to project only outwards, in a half-sphere, rather than the existing full sphere.

First, the compliments: yay lights! Pretty shiny twinkly colourful lights I can slap all over my ships and stuff!

1. The colourization tweakables on the stock Illuminators are mighty convenient... using them would reduce the number of VAB part entries to two - dim Navlights and bright Strobelights.
  2. I really wish there was a different model of light - a projecting cylinder or sphere, like the classic "gumball" light you find on old police cars. Obviously, not directional or rotating.
  3. In concert with the previous, I'd adjust the directionality of the existing lights to project only outwards, in a half-sphere, rather than the existing full sphere.

Here's an idea that expands on yours in one swoop:

Adapt the AviationLights to take advantage of the tweakable colors, allow them to be turned on and off in the VAB/SPH via right-click menu, and use one texture and config file for all:

nav%20light2.jpg478b22a38a0529f7ecfe69e45d790b21.jpg

That way all the lights are the same. They can be made unique with the tweaks functions instead.

I would imagine the build menu to look like

• Range: Spherical (current stock behavior)
  • Range: Directional (projects outward from the light)
  • NavLight On
  • NavLight Flash Single
  • NavLight Flash Double
  • Beacon Flash Single
  • Beacon Flash Double
  • Light Off

And the in-flight menu would look like

• NavLight On
  • NavLight Flash Single
  • NavLight Flash Double
  • Beacon Flash Single
  • Beacon Flash Double
  • Light Off

It would mean more coding effort, sure, but it would result in reduced complexity and greater functionality too. If I could only figure out how the tweakable light colors worked in stock... :)

Edited by Deadweasel

JFYI, here's a fix for Pause/Unpause bug:

in OnUpdate(), add one more condition here:

if (navLightSwitch > 0 && EnergyReq > 0 && part.RequestResource (Resource, EnergyReq * TimeWarp.deltaTime) == 0) {

into

if (navLightSwitch > 0 && EnergyReq > 0 && TimeWarp.deltaTime > 0 && part.RequestResource (Resource, EnergyReq * TimeWarp.deltaTime) == 0) {

oooh. I'd ask you to recompile, but the license is CC-BY-ND...

Yeah, this ND part kinda scared me off as I'm not sure if fixed .dll would be considered a "derivative". You'll have to wait until BigNose shows up, sorry.

Yeah, this ND part kinda scared me off as I'm not sure if fixed .dll would be considered a "derivative". You'll have to wait until BigNose shows up, sorry.

Just updated the license, I will upload a new version with your bugfix J.Random. Thanks for you find! :D

V3.6 Released

Due to fellow Forum member J.Random, one of the oldest and most annoying bugs of this mod (for me at least) was finally fixed: The Pause Bug.

Now their state can actually be called persistent.

CHANGELOG

Fixed

- Lights retain their state when the game is paused/unpaused

DOWNLOAD

Get it on Mediafire!

As always, this update is fully backwards compatible! Existing crafts will be updated automatically without getting deleted.

Heads up: The license has been updated! Check the bottom of the first post for details.

Edited by BigNose

I was thinking the same thing - it's a very good idea!

So just for the halibut (or maybe I'm simply floundering), I set out on a mission to change the textures for the lights to make the models a little less visually obvious. The change isn't very drastic, only modifying the "lens" portion of the textures so they look a little more modern.

I'm still working on the LEDs in the textures themselves; I think they can be tweaked to add a little more depth and realism to their appearance, but I've never actually tried going into such detail for tiny components in Photoshop before. Should be a bit of a learning experience, if nothing else. :)

u2ZqZtt.png

cQqEbHd.png

5Eri434.png

2NB7OPB.png

DF6uuF7.png

mission%20accomplished%20banner%2023423423.jpg

(The above image is not intended to make a political statement, but then again, as the saying goes: "Even a broken clock is right twice a day.") :D

Edited by Deadweasel

Interesting Deadweasel, I don't feel like resplacing the original Texture with yours quite yet, but with a bit more work, it could certainly be an alternative which I would be more than happy to link on the front page! :D

Interesting Deadweasel, I don't feel like resplacing the original Texture with yours quite yet, but with a bit more work, it could certainly be an alternative which I would be more than happy to link on the front page! :D

Heh, well I'm not necessarily looking to develop something with the intent to displace the original texture altogether. Rather, I'm just playing around with creating alternative skins as a drag-n-drop set so they can be swapped out for one another in a (virtual) heartbeat.

Speaking of which, here's another variation I'm playing with (oval LEDs):

9V9WDVV.png

NmXg3TE.png

jwekdRz.png

RNCxVnO.png

bTkHnrr.png

Had another inspiration and kicked the texture resolution up a notch. :) (BigNose, if you find me publicizing my modding of your work annoying, please don't hesitate to let me know. I don't want you and the team to think I'm trying to edge anybody out or that your work is somehow sub-par.)

k1UGnVL.png

H8kwCfo.png

mpAmADB.png

Had another inspiration and kicked the texture resolution up a notch. :) (BigNose, if you find me publicizing my modding of your work annoying, please don't hesitate to let me know. I don't want you and the team to think I'm trying to edge anybody out or that your work is somehow sub-par.)

Don't worry, I never understood it that way and I will be more than happy to link your texture replacements in the first post, just release them in a reply here and I will link that reply once I see it. :D

When you upload them, may I suggest you zip them up with the folder structure in place, so people can unpack into the KSP main directory to replace the standard Aviation Lights texture, for conveniece.

Edited by BigNose

Don't worry, I never understood it that way and I will be more than happy to link your texture replacements in the first post, just release them in a reply here and I will link that reply once I see it. :D

When you upload them, may I suggest you zip them up with the folder structure in place, so people can unpack into the KSP main directory to replace the standard Aviation Lights texture, for conveniece.

Awesome! In that case, here's the link for the initial set. It includes the "pyramid" lens LED and square LED versions, as well as a copy of the original stock skins so they're backed-up from the start. Enjoy! ^_^

Deadweasel's DeadSkins for AviationLights (v1.0)

Ok, link to your post #524 is up, I suggest you edit the post to a proper release page, with a big 'Deadweasel's DeadSkins for AviationLights' caption and discription of your pack with some screenshots. You know how it is these days: no pics no clicks.

It should look a little more... official... if you know what I mean. I would do it myself, but I think advertising for you textures is your job.

Also, I expanded the license so I can not be held responsible for the content of your pack, not that I'm paranoid or something, I do trust you, but you never know where malware is able to sneak itself in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.