Possible to make an "Apollo" type lunar craft?

14 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

It's this part, unlocked at the basic science node, added I think with version 1.2: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Experiment_Storage_Unit

OK...after reading the wiki I have a better idea. For some reason I thought these were only carried by a Kerbal but I see they can be part of a ship.

Thanks

As others have stated, doing an Apollo style mission in KSP is almost mandatory, and certainly a right of passage.  A few images from one of my own Apollo type mission may help you with putting together your own design.

This is the second stage boosting the craft to Kerbin orbit.  The lander is behind the fairing.

ap203.jpg

With the fairing discarded, you can see that the lander is attached to the engine of the Service Module.  The lander has a docking port that matches a docking port fitted to the nose of the  Command Module.

ap204.jpg

Once the CSM has detached, turned 180 degrees and then docked to the Lander, the second stage can be jettisoned.

ap205.jpg

This also shows that the lander is 2 stages which again follows the Apollo mission profile.

ap207.jpg

Having shown all that, don't completely discount the simplicity of a single lander/return vehicle, as it doesn't need to be that large or unwieldy.  This lander was plenty capable of landing on Mun and then returning to Kerbin.  It's a lot smaller and lighter than the 2 vehicle Apollo version, and would therefore need a smaller rocket to get it to the Mun in the first place.

gen4.jpg

Edited by Scarecrow

8 hours ago, FrostedShoe said:

I have that problem, try bringing the camera down level with the first docking port, then drag the second one down, flip it and it should snap. For some reason when you are trying to do it while looking at an angle it will try and attach radially.

You can prevent it from attaching radially by holding down the alt key.

Another benefit of Lunar Rendezvous...you can leave the lander in orbit. Next mission you just need to bring enough extra fuel to fill the lander back up and you can do as many landings as you like with that one lander.

In my game I eventually graduate to having an orbital lunar station and bigger landers, but I'll still keep the little lander around docked at the station as a rescue vehicle.

Edited by Tyko

One thing I didn't think to ask. My first attempt had the lander attached to the CM engine with a docking port junior, with the port oriented to the lander for future docking with the nose of the CM...I did not include a decoupler. When I "decoupled node" on the Junior, to separate the lander from the CM, it separated but brought along the "auto-fairing" that was created when building this part of the ship. I have a scientist in the lander, with added guidance,  but I could not "control from here" on any part of the lander so it became space junk, essentially. I'm missing a key ingredient here...do I need a decoupler between the lander and CM (is this why I could not gain control of the lander)? Or is there some other issue to gain control of the lander?

Here's the CM/Lander connection:

Apollo01.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, Scarecrow said:

This also shows that the lander is 2 stages which again follows the Apollo mission profile.

ap207.jpg

This had enough DV to make it back to the orbiter? That's pretty awesome.

Edited by strider3

You can disable the auto fairing around the engine when you connect anything to it, so that solves that problem.  Just right click the engine in the VAB for the option to turn fairings on or off.  As for being unable to control the lander, are you playing in Career mode, in which case you might need a pilot in a vessel  to be able to control it, or a probe.  I've only played career once, so I'm not sure if that's the case, but it seems plausible given that scientists and engineers are required to perform some specific tasks.

Edited by Scarecrow

7 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Wait...do you not need a pilot or probe core to control things in sandbox/science modes?

That's absurd lol.

Can you just switch to random pieces of debris and flop around?

No, you need a pilot or probe core to control a ship. You can switch to random debris in any game mode, but all you can do is look at it

Here is my 'Apollo' mission craft. As pointed out it is easier to make a single vessel for a Mun landing and return, but this is fun and if you plan to visit other planets with a mothership/lander operation this is a good first step.

BPs5rCj.png

Edited by IWanttobeEVA
adding a pic...

Hi,

Good choice reproducing the Apollo missions, it's always good fun and you learn great things about what they did to make it work!

Here is my take on the Apollo missions, all stock except for the cameras. I've tried to stick to the real thing, the electrical systems are the same (no solar panels :) ). There are a few mistakes, like I forgot to add RCS to the lander...

You can check the blueprints I've put in the video, maybe you'll find some inpiration, especially for the CM / lunar module separation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.