getting error message when loading up ksp

12 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

When you get an error message doing anything (even outside of KSP), it's pretty important to say what it was when asking for help.

the error is from the module manager that I have installed and it comes up on the screen at the main menu in green text

5 hours ago, skullhead505 said:

the error is from the module manager that I have installed and it comes up on the screen at the main menu in green text

Again: The information that there is an error message is next to useless. You need to tell people what it is saying.

18 hours ago, skullhead505 said:

Im trying to get KSS on KSP and i did everything right i installed the kopernicus files and downloaded KSS basic and then the error message came up and I have no idea why and it would be nice if someone could help

It appears that you are being told to provide more information, however it also appears that you do not know what other information is required

What others have said in here is as about as helpful as your initial post so let me give you some working advice instead of just telling you we need more info :)

Read the following post where you will learn how to help us help you ... this community can be quite helpful although the advice you have received so far, not so much :wink:

The post below will give you the info you need in order to for any of us to be of any measurable assistance ... good luck

58 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

What others have said in here is as about as helpful as your initial post so let me give you some working advice instead of just telling you we need more info :)

this community can be quite helpful although the advice you have received so far, not so much :wink:

Fine.

18 hours ago, skullhead505 said:

Error messages exist for a reason. Every single one of them, from the simplest to the most arcane, was written at a specific time by a specific programmer who knew that he had reached a place where his code might fail and needed to deal with it somehow. Generally such messages are unique to one specific failure condition (unless you're at Microsoft or some other fly-by-night outfit that considers "unknown error" an acceptable message), and they often contain additional information specific to your exact instance of a problem, such as file names or device names or URLs. They may look useless and incomprehensible to you, but along with a clear description of the steps you took to produce the error, they can usually lead a competent programmer directly to the cause of the issue, and often a workaround or solution. Similarly support technicians, who commonly maintain lists of error messages along with things to try to resolve each of them. And of course the same goes equally for forum participants.

Without the error message, the would-be helper is severely handicapped. You might be having one of a hundred or a thousand different problems, each with its own different specific symptoms and causes and solutions. Was it this issue? Was it that issue? Especially if you haven't given details about what you did, there is no way to know, so all anyone can do is guess randomly and hope that something helps by sheer coincidence. Or, they might ask you for more information.

So, whenever you say "it gave me an error message" without relaying the contents of that message (or at least as close of a paraphrase as you can manage), you are throwing away the most essential piece of information that other people need to be able to help you. This is as true in KSP modding as it is everywhere else in the software world. It's important enough that even if you don't currently remember what the message said, it's worth the effort to repeat what you just did to make it happen again in order to capture it. Bonus points if you do this with a screenshot, since this captures more of the context in which it happened.

Please forgive my terseness earlier. I admit to some amount of frustration with vague problem reports in many contexts, and I've had to type variations of the above explanation more times than I would like. I hope this helps you to understand what I and others have meant when talking about the importance of error messages.

Edited by HebaruSan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.